Boring Mod preview: High-res train tracks

Capt. Foobar mentioned that there are no high res train tracks so I cooked up a set. They'll be done some time next week.

Feldgrau's new Churchill contemplates crossing the tracks.

Tracks.jpg

I'll have lo-res & high-res options for it.

Gyrene

[ 10-19-2001: Message edited by: Gyrene ]

[Pours over many fotos, recent and old...]

European ballast, ties and rails were (and even now mostly are) uniformly rust-brown, except for newly constructed or cleaned (really!) ballast. I'd imagine that in the war years it was hard enough to keep the existing track operational, let alone consider renewing ballast or constructing new track.

Even the shiny part on the top of the rail really isn't that shiny except when the light fall on it just right; when not reflecting light in this manner is actually looks darker than the rest of the rail as it is just dark steel as opposed to the grimy, dusty, and rusty sides of the rails.

Also consider that most European trains *still* have rather, eh, "gravitational" toilet facilities... :eek:

Well it looked great to me at first but since a couple of the guys mentioned some improvements dammed if they aren't right. So I will be waiting to see the results before commenting but I'm sure it will be very real looking. Thanks Gyrene for taking the job on.

Ok...One at a time...

Michael:Yes, I ditched the GeForce...Make mine Radeon ;)

Pud:No sweat, I leave you the important mods. smile.gif

Everybody else: I'll will make the tracks narrower, I think that even the stock tracks are too wide. As for the shine, I'll dull it up a bit, but regularly used tracks ARE shiny. Go visit your local railyard. ;)

I'll make the gravel more dirty looking / brownish. Remember, this is a preview. :D

To everyone: Thanks for the comments & suggestions.

Gyrene

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gyrene:

As for the shine, I'll dull it up a bit, but regularly used tracks ARE shiny. Go visit your local railyard.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh, I know about that. I've walked enough rails to have seen what you are talking about. It's just that I think that unless you were getting glare from reflected sunlight, tracks in the country would be too pitted, etc. to look that bright.

Michael

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> Uhm my GeForce II Card shows all of the graphics just fine.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Priest, the problem is with GeForce cards & Macs....The skies don't show.

Michael: I understand what you are saying, but the lack of dynamic lighting in CM forces me to choose either no shine or shine. I'll try to find a happy medium.

As before I'll put it out for public opinion to decide.

Gyrene

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gyrene:

...the lack of dynamic lighting in CM forces me to choose either no shine or shine.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Shine is fine. :cool: But is there a way to tone it down just a hair? You know, pick a color that's just a little off-white? I was thinking a nice ivory would harmonize well with my drapes...

:D

Michael

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Michael emrys:

Can't speak to European ballast, maybe some of our Euro brothers will inform us, but the stuff I've seen in the US, and I've seen a lot of it, is gray.

Michael<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In France (where I am, hello world smile.gif ) ballast is brown, and tracks are much less wide than that. You have giant trains on the other side :D ?

Gyrene, in the top post you mention Felgrau's new Churchill. Can you please tell me where to get it?

Great, you working on the tracks! No doubt they'll turn out just perfect.

Interesting, this new 'modding on demand' thing I see lately. smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Juju:

Gyrene, in the top post you mention Felgrau's new Churchill. Can you please tell me where to get it?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Juju, Feldgraus CMMOS Churchills pack is at Manx's COMBAT MISSIONS

;)