My bizarre theory.

**Disclaimer**

What follows here is not meant seriously, I feel I have to add this disclaimer for the slower members of this forum who will still flame me anyway. (You will see who they are, the ones who never read the original topic, but jump in halfway through)

**Disclaimer Over**

Ok, CM uses random numbers to figure out many events, hit probabilties in particular, and as most of you might know, computers cannot generate true random numbers, but use a combination of looking at contents of a particular memory address or the time of day and other techniques to generate seed numbers

for the randomizer formula.

Now, if you were to make a simple program to spit out random whole numbers you would see that certain numbers come up much more often than others, this is not by coincidence, but due to the seed numbers generated by the tecniques described above.

In other words, computers will favor certain numbers over others, with each individual computer having a particular set of favourites.

Now here comes the wacky theory: As related to CM some computers may be "luckier" than others! As in "Whenever I play Mr.A I seem to do much better with my AT teams than against Mr. C", tactics aside, this holds some truth. Mr. A's computer may just be luckier for your AT teams when it crunches the CM data for that turn.

So next time you play someone and nothing seems to go right, don't call the guy a gamey bastard, just blame his computer or yours, it must be unlucky! And on the same token you could possibly try CM in all the computers at the store and find one that favors your side and snap that bad boy up!

Soon calls of "Lucky computer use Gamey?" will be heard around the forum.

If a game sucked for you, don't blame yourself, blame your bad random seed numbers.

Gyrene

Yes, three Shermans and a Hellcat lie abandoned or smoking on the battlefield. My lucky computer nailed all four with Panzershreck teams. It was not the fact they deftly crawled or used sneak to get into a favorable firing position. No! My seed numbers are so good on my 486 dx 100 that I always rum Gyrene’s and my turns through it. I save my PIII system for other opponents!

Computer algorithms for random numbers have weaknesses, but saying that certain numbers come out more often ist wrong for all but the worst algorithms. Seeding is quite irrelevant in CMBO frame since even a very simple seed by date/time will be good enough for the few numbers you need in a battle.

The better algorithms (which are still leightweight enough for use in CMBO) are made to provide numbers for use in cryptography and the demands in that area are extremly high. For the few numbers you need in CMBO, you can by comparision just assume that the random numbers are prefect.

Of course, if you played the same battle with the same commands from both players, you would still have different outcome, but that's what the randon modifiers are all about. But you would not see much difference if you used a more perfect RNG, like a hardware device using atomic decomposition.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by redwolf:

grogism geeky computer talk eliminated here<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gee whiz Gyrene - you sure can call 'em. Remind me to check with you before I go to the track.