Anti-Tank Guns in the Living Room

Since the original topic bit the dust along with numerous other brilliant threads I figured I would put this up again.

A loyal CM Forum fellow, I think named Peter, emailed me the 1st photo and wanted me to post it here. I think he said the photo was from Urquharts book "Battle for Arnhem"? I deleted his email before the forum exploded so I cant remember his exact text.

View?u=1690096&a=12972811&p=48813109

View?u=1690096&a=12972811&p=48753684

smile.gif

Hello-I started the thread "Guns in the Houses" and it started a whole bunch of rick racket whatever that means. Where all those photos including a touched up one with the two yankee guys with beards and alking to each other. LOL i am a yankee to but who cares? :rolleyes:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>KiwiJoe Said: Man the dudes in that 1st picture are wickedly exposed. Id say any HE round that entered that wide open shop front would hit the back wall, explode, and do some nasty damage.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don’t disagree. I reckon there is trade off one needs to consider between cover, concealment and field of fire. The 3” gun section in this honest to goodness Battle of the Bulge photo (Hugh Cole “The Ardennes: Battle of the Bulge”) have relatively good visibility and open fields of fire. However, any German observer with a decent pair of bino’s who sneaks into the wooded terrain along that ridge in the right corner of the pic could ID that 3” gun from 2 klicks away. Call in a little indirect HE and no more anti-tank gun.

Now the British Crew and the US 3” crew in the barn at least have a bit of concealment.

View?u=1690096&a=12972811&p=48869255

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Mike Said: I want to know what fuel has got to do with that 3" AT gun???<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It is confusing when taken out of context of the original book. I had to look at the text on the page preceding the photo to figure out what the hell the picture caption was talking about. In short it was a reference to German fuel shortages prior to, and during the Ardennes offensive. The US 1st Army had several huge fuel depots in the Ardennes area north of the Ambleve River. There was some remote hope on the part of some of the German spearhead divisions of capturing these US 1st Army depots intact and alleviating some of their own supply issues.

[ 05-21-2001: Message edited by: Jeff Duquette ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jeff Duquette:

In short it was a reference to German fuel shortages prior to, and during the Ardennes offensive. The US 1st Army had several huge fuel depots in the Ardennes area north of the Ambleve River. There was some remote hope on the part of some of the German spearhead divisions of capturing these US 1st Army depots intact and alleviating some of their own supply issues.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Told ya so! tongue.gif

Michael

All I know is that if I had a small arty battery in my house all I have to do is knock out a couple windows and I could shell downtown St. Paul and Minneapolis, while playing CMBO. If you saw my house you would understand. It's perfect if Canada attacks and the Twin Cities is occupied. I could sneak ammo in from the resistance through a near by sewer. At's in buildings woulb be nice, if it is already possible then I must have missed something.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KiwiJoe:

Man the dudes in that 1st picture are wickedly exposed. Id say any HE round that entered that wide open shop front would hit the back wall, explode, and do some nasty damage.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're right. Those dummies should've consulted with Fionn before setting up in the open like that.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Johnny D.:

At's in buildings woulb be nice, if it is already possible then I must have missed something.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

For clarification:

There is a way that you can place an AT Gun in a building in CMBO but it only works with the scenario editor.

First, place the AT gun on a certain spot in the preview.

Then, in the terrain editor place a house onto that same spot.

Voilá, AT Gun is in da house!

(it's more like a bug, though, and not intended).

hope that helps

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by M Hofbauer:

For clarification:

There is a way that you can place an AT Gun in a building in CMBO but it only works with the scenario editor.

First, place the AT gun on a certain spot in the preview.

Then, in the terrain editor place a house onto that same spot.

Voilá, AT Gun is in da house!

(it's more like a bug, though, and not intended).

hope that helps<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

When it works, though, its pretty cool. Im playtesting a scenario now that has one in a church. The gun actually survived long enough to run out of ammo, and really did a huge amount of damage to the other side.

I thought it was really pretty damn awesome, especially for someone who has trouble keeping AT guns alive for very long.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Terence:

When it works, though, its pretty cool. Im playtesting a scenario now that has one in a church. The gun actually survived long enough to run out of ammo, and really did a huge amount of damage to the other side.

I thought it was really pretty damn awesome, especially for someone who has trouble keeping AT guns alive for very long.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hope they keep it for CM2. I've done it with AT and flak guns. Don't recommend putting them in light buildings as once they open up they tend to draw alot of fire and that light building they're in doesn't last long.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Roborat:

That 3" US gun, it looks like the standard 105 to me, as in the C1 howitzer used by Canada and many other nato types. What is the actual designation of that gun???<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It is the M5 3" AA gun.