CM2's IS-2 model--SimHQ interview

I noticed that the the little shot of the IS-2 in the SimHQ interview had the external fuel tanks mounted onto the tank. My understanding is that in battle, these tanks were removed as they had a good chance of getting damaged or blowing up. Is this wrong? I can understand it if they unexpectedly met with some enemy forces but it seems it would be more likely for IS-2s engaging in combat to not have those things attached.

Although Steve and Dan could comment with a little more authority on this, from what we have found in our research apparently points to the fact that as the war went on the Russians seemed to be less and less concerned with actually removing the fuel tanks before combat (maybe they were not fearing the Germans as much?).

In the game you will see this play out as the early models of vehicles will not have the fuel tanks but some of the later models will.

Also Soviet Diesel Fuel is NOT very explosive and has a very high flashpoint, roughly equivalent to US diesel no.2.

Madmatt

[ 04-24-2001: Message edited by: Madmatt ]

I think it should also be mentioned on an "operational" note that I don't think it was often the case that these external fuel tanks were still full of fuel by the time of engaging the enemy.

Considering how quickly that tanks in those day (and even today) will consume fuel, it was comparatively more likely that the fuel in the external tanks would've been used up as the tank maneuvered/deployed with its parent unit before actual engagement. (There were certainly exceptions, of course.) Many postwar Soviet tanks also utilized external-mounted fuel tankage, like the "slabs" mounted over tread fenders on T-62's.

The Soviet forces of 1944 were certainly much better off in motorized transport and resupply than in earlier years. (Most of this transport was lend-lease.) Even so, the very size of the Soviet armies probably still put quite a strain on the resupply echelon. So equipping the tanks for extended fuel "endurance" was probably very much an operational necessity.

BTW, just in case no one else has mentioned here in the CM forum where to find the interview, here is a link:

http://www.simhq.com/simhq3/sims/interviews/combatmission2/

Fascinating commentary by Moylan over there. :D

[ 04-24-2001: Message edited by: Spook ]

I see photos of modern Soviet MBT also carry spare fuel tank on the rear of the vehicle. However, they can drop those tanks from the inside should the situation call for that. I am presuming the the IS-2 had something similar or perhaps the IS-2 crews just didn't care.

If different vehicles may or may not have the fuel drums depending on the year of the war, then does mean that more than one BMP set will be available for some weapons platforms? It would be great to simply change the camo of a vehicle by simply choosing the appropriate BMP set (perhaps at the equipment purchasing phase or the Quick battle setup) and not have to paste over the one set for the vehicle. Batch files are ok but it's a lot nicer to change the camo varient in game. We could have the BTS version, a Mad Dog version, a Fernando version, etc and easily switch between the sets in game.

How come no one mentioned this before?! These are CM2 screenshots and info here, people!

BTW - Beautiful work. The terrain screens they have look very well done. The trees seem more detailed, and the buildings look Hi Res, although I doubt they actually are.

One little niggle - for the tree sprites, include the "Bereza" tree. The slender white tree with black spots? No real reason why, other then for its beauty, really. I remember whole forests of them where I lived on the outskirts of Moscow.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 109 Gustav:

Somewhere in there it said that all the textures would be hires. :( You can tell that the buildings are, look at the detail of the boards. I would have preferred stock low res textures, since my graphics card isn't very good.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Upgrade time, 109 Goof-Off. :Dtongue.gif

Gustav,

Unless you're on a laptop (in which case I pity you), you can get a video card relatively cheap (I know it's been said over and over again). Go to pricewatch.com and look up 8mb cards.

Just checked, I see a SDRAM 8mb card for $25

If you cant afford that much, you have no place playing computer games. Go buy some food instead of starving yourself for this drug we know as Combat Mission tongue.gif

Guest Babra

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Q: Related question, maybe....does having a fan base of detail-oriented players help, hinder, (maybe a combination of the two) or not impact your development work?

A: These guys are, as a group, a skeptical bunch so at first this was a problem...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Aw, we loves you too, Chuck... :D

BTS,

On a related note, would infantry be able to penetrate this fuel tanks? You said they were not VERY explosive (the key word being very, I presume) but if they were able to cause at least some damage, this would be a very important issue.

Im not sure if fuel tanks were made bulletproof (I doubt they were). If they arent, close infantry assaults late in the war could be very deadly indeed.

Info?

Those round cylindrical objects on the back of Soviet tanks are full of nitrous oxide. There will be a new movement command called "move really fast" for Soviet tanks in CM2. :D

Oh, and when those tanks are hit and explode everyone will have a good laugh. :cool:

OK, I know I am weird. Back to work now.

[ 04-24-2001: Message edited by: Pvt. Ryan ]

On a couple of the subjects posted above:

Soviet external fuel tanks were armored, giving some protection from small arms. They didn't have the explosive quick-release bolts that Brit fast tanks did in the desert. It would've been a TREMENDOUS pain to unbolt them and store them for future retreival. Besides, a full tank of diesel fuel might even do some good deflecting a panzerfaust hit!

Also, worried about CM2's HiRes buildings? Maybe a cottage industry will spring-up supplying low-res alternatives for CM2!

I've got an 8 meg ATI rage in an iMac DV. Great computer, but a weak card that can't be upgraded. I can run some hires mods, but not terrains. And actually, if I could remember to switch to 800x600 resolution before I play, I could probably have all hires mods.

Commissair- I doubt that small arms could do much to a tank of Soviet Gas. Madmatt said it's like #2 kerosene, and you can't ignite that by shooting bullets through it. My dad tried it for some reason or another. The drum was over a fire and he was punching holes in it with a 30-06. It took half an hour for the fuel to ignite. Tracers might have helped, of course, but with regular bullets its impossible.

[ 04-24-2001: Message edited by: 109 Gustav ]

Or it could well be that various "lo-res" graphics will already be available as an option for a CM2 player to toggle.

Of course, considering the vast number of textures expected so to cover the scope of the East Front, I think providing both a lo-res and a hi-res version of each & every tile would be a major pain in the ass for the BTS crew.

Comments invited from the Madman or other BTS grunts..........

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by The Commissar:

How come no one mentioned this before?! These are CM2 screenshots and info here, people!

BTW - Beautiful work. The terrain screens they have look very well done. The trees seem more detailed, and the buildings look Hi Res, although I doubt they actually are.

One little niggle - for the tree sprites, include the "Bereza" tree. The slender white tree with black spots? No real reason why, other then for its beauty, really. I remember whole forests of them where I lived on the outskirts of Moscow.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, due to the shallow, wide root system of the Russian Birch tree, the trees are rather widely space apart-- for trees. If these are used in CM, then tanks or other vehicles should be able to drive through them the way they can currently move through the "Scattered Tree" terrain.

Terence,

I'll hold you to that since I cant precicely remember how far apart the trees were. I dont think a wide tank could pass through them, although Berezas are slender trees and could be toppled over quite easily.

I suppose they could represent Light Trees in the game quite well. If BTS doesnt include the texture originally, Ill take up modding and do my own :D

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by The Commissar:

You said they were not VERY explosive (the key word being very, I presume) but if they were able to cause at least some damage, this would be a very important issue.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I guess the damage done would be a puncture, leading to less fuel available. Since the CM engine doesn't handle fuel consumption at all, this would be a very unimportant issue.

I think it's time to point at the fact that Strv 103C (the latest version of the S-tank) had an array of regular Jerrycans on the sides, acting as sideskirts and using the diesel as extra armour, until it was used to fuel the engine.

Cheers

Olle

The Commissar and Terence,

I just love it when the discussions here comes down to the fundamentals of combat simulation ;)

Now, as I was looking at the first "house" screen shot I was thinking to myself, nice they have included birch trees. So, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that a small whit and black trunked tree with bright green leaves in the background?

M smile.gif