penetration, and there is no blast effect

on the surroundings. Is that tank some

kind of iron stomach, with an infinite

capacity to absorb? Very lucky for

infantry that may be nearby.

regards,

--Rett

[This message has been edited by CMplayer (edited 01-27-2001).]

Can't see that as a result! I've seen one drop into a group of tanks and halftracks and the ones it didn't kill outright were immobilized and shocked (nearly as much as I was when I saw it!) and soon abandoned. Real biblical stuff! Finger of God and all that. A direct hit should just add some extra shrapnel to the mix! I watched it used to raze a town and I immediately thought about the Marines on Guadalcanal who had to absorb that kind of shelling every night for so long! This game has given me a whole new respect for those men!!!

------------------

Your mother was a hamster and your father smelled of elderberries!

One possibility is that the shell was a dud. I'm not sure if duds are modeled in CM but it would not suprise me. smile.gif A 14" shell landing on a turret would ruin any tankers day. A search on duds did not come up with any diffinitive answer. Does anyone know if dud artillery shells are modeled?

Originally posted by Goofy:

Can't see that as a result! I've seen one drop into a group of tanks and halftracks and the ones it didn't kill outright were immobilized and shocked (nearly as much as I was when I saw it!) and soon abandoned. Real biblical stuff! Finger of God and all that. A direct hit should just add some extra shrapnel to the mix! I watched it used to raze a town and I immediately thought about the Marines on Guadalcanal who had to absorb that kind of shelling every night for so long! This game has given me a whole new respect for those men!!!

Okay, but I'm talking about a shell that

actually achieved a 'top penetration'.

Landing near a tank is enough to knock

it out, but when it penetrates, the

engine seems to handle it differently.

regards,,

--Rett

Originally posted by fubar628:

One possibility is that the shell was a dud. I'm not sure if duds are modeled in CM but it would not suprise me. smile.gif A 14" shell landing on a turret would ruin any tankers day. A search on duds did not come up with any diffinitive answer. Does anyone know if dud artillery shells are modeled?

Sure, it could be a dud, but it would

be odd if we are supposed to believe

that every time one of those big shells

top penetrates a tank, that it happened

to be a dud.

regards,

--Rett

Originally posted by CMplayer:

Sure, it could be a dud, but it would

be odd if we are supposed to believe

that every time one of those big shells

top penetrates a tank, that it happened

to be a dud.

Or else they knew they were shooting at a tank so they broke out the solid AP instead of HE. The solid AP shell probably weighs almost as much as the tank turret and is longer than the turret is tall...

------------------

"If you can taste the difference between caviar on a cracker and ketchup on a Kit-Kat while blindfolded, you have not had enough aquavit to be ready for lutefisk." (stolen from some web page about lutefisk)

Guest Michael emrys

Originally posted by chrisl:

Or else they knew they were shooting at a tank so they broke out the solid AP instead of HE. The solid AP shell...

AP naval shells aren't solid metal. They contain TNT, though not as much as an HC (high capacity) shell.

Michael

Must be a bug. I dont think CM models something as minute as arty duds...could be wrong of course, the game has impressed me before smile.gif

Cheers!

------------------

"...Every position, every meter of Soviet soil must be defended to the last drop of blood..."

- Segment from Order 227 "Not a step back"

[This message has been edited by The Commissar (edited 01-28-2001).]

Originally posted by Wayne:

If you still have the game file send it to Madmatt and let him see if it is a bug.

Probably all penetrations are shunted

into another part of the code which

only take into account the effect on

the tank, and doesn't think about the

possibility of the blast being so

strong as to have a catastrophic effect

on the surroundings. Not so much a bug

as an oversight, if that's how it is.

regards,

--Rett

Originally posted by Michael emrys:

AP naval shells aren't solid metal. They contain TNT, ...

You mean 14" APDS wasn't a standard load for the Allies in WW2? confused.gifwink.gif

Surely they must have 14" APFSDS nowadays... wink.gif

Cheers

Olle

------------------

Strategy is the art of avoiding a fair fight...

[This message has been edited by Olle Petersson (edited 02-02-2001).]

Originally posted by Guy w/gun:

Don't know if this is exactly what your talking about, but why is it that tanks that take DIRECT HITS from 14" dont explode? They simply are knocked out. No fire and explosions frown.gif.

That is exactly what I was talking

about. No one has (seriously) tried

to explain it away, so it must have

just been an oversight in the coding.

regards,

--Rett