All new fire mod preview

Since I wasn't happy with the fire in CM I finally decided to make a new fire mod.

My aim here was to make fire in CM a little more subdued and realistic and a little less like the hellish bright blaze it is now.

This fire is darker, lower (more in proportion to the scenery), and a lot sootier than the original. It also doesn’t flicker as fast. Burning vehicles no longer look as if they are standing over an oil well, but have flames delicately ‘licking‘ out of them, making the oily smoke more realistic-looking.

Here's are some piccies of how they were and how they are now. Sadly the picture quality isn't too great:

Original

View?u=1635368&a=12509600&p=46642299

Option 1

View?u=1635368&a=12509600&p=46642293

And here's another option: Narrower, blander flames. Even slower moving than option one. Very realistic movement.

Option 2

View?u=1635368&a=12509600&p=46650074

I've sent it to CMHQ, along with an all new bright explosion mod. Guess y'all just have to wait for it a bit.

[ 04-16-2001: Message edited by: Juju ]

Thanks guys!

I'm also working on a slimmer, narrower fire mod that has a litle more realistic looking flame. It may be too early to tell, but this one could look even better. I'll keep you all informed on my progress!

And here are some piccies of the burning vehicles. Oh, and a shot of the 'bonus explosion mod.' smile.gif

View?u=1635368&a=12509595&p=46658304

View?u=1635368&a=12509595&p=46658321

This here's a comparison of the original and my new explosion mod. The new explosion is brighter, less sooty and has a more sustained flame burst.

View?u=1635368&a=12509600&p=46647243

Tell you guys what: If CMHQ doesnt do an update before the end of the week (provided Matt even likes these mods!) I'll start sending them around. :D

I like Option #1 better. And that's not because that was the first one you showed us either. I just don't think fire tends to burn in narrow columns, that's all.

All though I'll probably try out both of them and see which one looks better in-game.

I do like the explosion mod though. Looks, a bit more transparent than the original. I take it that the new mod is the one that starts at the bottom of the sign in the middle?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Maximus:

I like Option #1 better.

I do like the explosion mod though. Looks, a bit more transparent than the original. I take it that the new mod is the one that starts at the bottom of the sign in the middle?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think I like option 1 better too. smile.gif

The new explosion mod starts to the right of the sign in the middle, Max. Ingame it's quite bright and indeed more transparant.

Since we're keeping this one warm I'll chime in. After playing CM a bit I can safely say most people will like option 1 best, and they will like it a lot. Looks very nice. The second option may indeed be too narrow.

As for the explosion, y'all probably like it, or you don't. Not much in between. ;)

Incidentally; I've figured out how to make an animated GIF of the explosion, but I don't know how to post it. I mean, it's located at photopoint now, but it doesn't seem to move when I view it there. I saw someone use one recently, but I can't find the post anymore. So if anyone knows how, let me know!