A reply from Brigadier Christopher Dunphie

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kim Beazley MP Ma:

Perhaps that merely indicates the importance of WWI in the minds of most people in the 21st century.

Tell me, would you ring the police if you saw someone welding the name of a very contraversial soldier onto say, a 2nd Boer War Memorial, Mr.Slapdragon - if you knew that (a) the person concerned was a descendent of that soldier and (B) the soldier's name was one Lt. William Morant?

I suspect so. Here in Australia, people would applaud him for his larrikinism - his unwillingness to accept the "official" view that William Morant - the Breaker, was as he was portrayed by the forces of the establishment.

You'd see it as defacing a public memorial, not the righting of a wrong.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

C.Dunphie did indeed fill out his identity claiming to be a published author in the area, listing his publications, which was enough for me. People assumed you meant the MP because perhaps you linked to his web site, posted his picture, used his entire identity in your about page?

And yes, the defacing of any war memorial is not a lark in civilized society. It something to be taken seriously, at least in the United States.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Slapdragon:

C.Dunphie did indeed fill out his identity claiming to be a published author in the area, listing his publications, which was enough for me.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Funny, I don't recall him listing anything. Merely claiming to be a "published author".

You leapt to the conclusion that he was claiming to be the Brigadier, Slappy. Rather in the way you leap to so many conclusions.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>

People assumed you meant the MP because perhaps you linked to his web site, posted his picture, used his entire identity in your about page?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I again, commend to you, Mr.Shakespeare's words, Mr.Slapdragon.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>

And yes, the defacing of any war memorial is not a lark in civilized society. It something to be taken seriously, at least in the United States.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I rather think the point is that in this case the original defacement was that the Breaker's name was left off of the memorial, in the first place.

Of couse, you wouldn't understand. Call it a cultural difference.

Well stated, Ron. Per my own earlier posts, I too made allowance that the identities might had been legit, because I haven't followed the posting nature of either of the "MP's" too closely. (Politicians having wargaming for a hobby might not be too mind-boggling a concept.) I suppose that I can be labeled a fool for making such allowance for the possibility, but so be it.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KwazyDog:

OKay Guys, I think the origional point of thise thread has been noted.

Dan<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

With that note in hand from a BTS rep, I'll thus leave it to BTS's discretion on what it thinks about all this.

But on a final note, seeing a more recent backlash against Slapdragon with arguments of mixed quality in their logic, I have to iterate an earlier note to maintain perspective before this thread dies out.

Someone came to the Battefront forums earlier, by the name of "C Dunphie" alleging to be a historical author, further alleging that the CM game had either a overly pro-US or anti-British bias. He pursued his allegation with a generalized notion that US WWII soldiers were inherently substandard to those of other armies like the Commonwealth, and therefore "stirred the pot" by getting some contentious responses.

Well, unlike all other posters here, Slap was diligent enough to call "C Dunphie" on his claimed position of historical author. Now, did the the BTS "C Dunphie" state that he wrote books like "Gold Beach"? No. But if he didn't feel like he was attempting to impersonate a historical author, then why did he then delete his initial posted material when attention came up on his "credentials"?

That's the point of perspective here. The actual Christopher Dunphie, as the historian, didn't like that someone else was giving the impression that Dunphie pursues poorly-supported, nonobjective nationalist opinions. Were it not for Slapdragon, some posters here might've later believed just that.

It's one thing to borrow a name & profession of someone else "as a giggle." It's another, however, if the poster does it to let the "heat" fall onto the impersonated person whenever the poster "stirs up the pot." Identity theft done for the latter reason is contemptible.

I think Ron closed the door on that one! Wow!

Anywho I agree with Slappy on this one. First off it is just childish to trollspawn one off names just to stir the pot. To take anothers identity is just plain wrong. The Dunphie impersonator was clearly going for that effect and Beazely you do not look far off either seeing as you are not what you say you are. Next time just don't put anything in those fields for information.

Slappy you have my support and thanks for clearing Dunphie's name.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by M Hofbauer:

IMHO I think impersonating another person, hiding under a fake identity should be reason to at least ban people.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with this, but it is a BTS call, and BTS may not have enough time to chase after every middle school student who wants to call themselves after an Australian politician. I think it is best if we handle it as adults. When we find someone who wants to play identity theft games, and if the person whose identity is stolen minds, we just make sure that the people on the board are aware of the child in our midst, there posting name, and we keep an eye out for obvious multiplications.

It is not all that much labor, but it would keep the board from being over run by these sorts, and may help BTS by shaming the culprits into doing right so that BTS does not have to ban them or waste time dealing with juvenile pranks.

I should note that Simon Fox, for example, made a great deal of light of identity theft in the current cases, but when theft of his own identity was proposed he said it was not the same thing. It is of course never the same thing when it happens to anyone else as when it actually harms your own reputation.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>C.Dunphie did indeed fill out his identity claiming to be a published author in the area, listing his publications, which was enough for me <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

For the record:

a) The poster didn't claim to be 'published'

B) None of his 'publications' were listed

c) He didn't claim to be the Brigadier you mention

Granted he may have tried to imply greater authority than he actually possessed but it was others that made the assumptions that you have seized upon. The vast majority of people here probably hadn't even heard of the Brigadier in question before that assumption was voiced.

I can easily believe the Brigadier is very annoyed but then he has only heard your particularly 'unique' version of events. On the evidence above, we can only imagine what form these took...

Yours in Spirit,

God P Entwhistle

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by God:

yadda yadda yadda

Yours in Spirit,

God P Entwhistle<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, my unique version of events was to forward the exact words of the text from his post.

C. Dunphie said he was a published expert in World War Two from the British perspective. That leaves one of two people, one of which is dead, for the farce.

I should note that Mr. Entwistle is a multiple account which first posted a flame thread and is carried by another member of this forum.

[ 09-17-2001: Message edited by: Slapdragon ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Slapdragon:

Sanctimonious-ness snipped

I should note that Mr. Entwistle is a multiple account which first posted a flame thread and is carried by another member of this forum.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Says you.

Guest PondScum

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JonS:

Says you.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh, come on. You're saying that whoever is behind the "God" account is a brand new player who just happened to find the board, decide he hated Slapdragon, and posted a flame thread as his first action? Yeah, right. It's clear that whoever it is has been on the boards before, has a grudge, and wanted to have a little "fun" with a flame thread.

If they've been careless, BTS could probably id them from the posting IP address.

I'm not saying anything. I have an opinion, and I'm keeping that to myself.

Slapnuts indicates that he knows. The only people in a position to know are BTS* who have access to the server logs, etc - as you yourself indicate.

Unless Slapnuts is the shadowy 'fifth-member' of BTS, with full access to all the relevant records, then I doubt that he really does 'know'.

* and Entwhistle of course...

[ 09-17-2001: Message edited by: JonS ]

Hi Mum! :D