how many points would a daisy cutter be in CM?

The daisy cutter is related too but not actually a FAE. Fuel Air Explosives spead into a cloud and the detonate. The daisy cutter is an "air augmented blast bomb" the amonium nitrate based explosive bursts the bomb which has more combustible material that it has oxidizer. As the alumium powder is spread by the blast it combusts with the local air. This increases the radius of the blast by having the combustion distributed over a wider area. It also increases the efficency of the device because it uses the surrounding air as part of the blast.

The next most powerfull blast weapon would be a the WWII cookies, they were thin walled blast bombs used in WWII. They airburst to create a lateral blast to destroy buildings. They came is sizes 4000, 8000 and 12000lbs.

The Tallboy and Granslams were special bombs created to destroy ultra hard targets. A grandslam was once used to destroy a rail tunnel which it did after going through 100ft of earth. The Grandslam while having a strong case could because of its size have quite a high explosive content, its was 40% explosive which works out as 8800lbs of explosive.

BTW 22tons per squane inch is only about 340MPa or about standard strength structural steel. Hardened steels can go up to 1800MPa.

The blast value of the daisy cutter would be:

assuming 12000lbs of explosive which is 2 times the power of TNT.

A 14 inch shell has 300lbs of explosive in it and has a blast of 2348.

So the blast of a daisy cutter would be

(12000*2)/300 * 2348 = 187840

or 950 VT 155 rounds.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr> The blast value of the daisy cutter would be:

assuming 12000lbs of explosive which is 2 times the power of TNT.

A 14 inch shell has 300lbs of explosive in it and has a blast of 2348.

So the blast of a daisy cutter would be

(12000*2)/300 * 2348 = 187840

or 950 VT 155 rounds. <hr></blockquote>

So, would it be gamey for me to pick it for a QB?

Gyrene

Recently overheard on the Taliban front:

Taliban Guy#1:Ah! Look! It is another of Great Satan's C130's!

Taliban Guy#2:Verily! It is probably on another mission to drop pamphlets and supply pallets to the Northern Alliance, may Allah curse their short beards!

TG#1:You are correct! Look! A large package has just left Satan's plane! It drifts slowly to earth by parachute!

TG#2:Large it is! And it's drifting towards us!

TG#1:Let's go intercept it! Osama will be proud!

TG#2:It's almost down, I wonder what is in it?

---

Gyrene

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by panzerwerfer42:

quote:

Originally posted by Hanns:

Anyone offhand know the weight of the Mk82 "Daiseycutter"? I want to say it's 26,000 lbs but my memory is probably faulty.

15,000 lbs.<hr></blockquote>

beware, "Mk82"-bomb is not synonymous with "BLU82"-bomb. "Mk82" refers to the 500-pound (nominal weight) version of the Mk80 low-drag bomb series developed by Douglas (Mk81 = 250lb, Mk82 = 500lb, Mk83 = 1,000lb and Mk84 = 2,000lb). The Mk82 is the most numerous and wide-spread one. Subversions with different nose, fuze and tail fin assemblies create the Mk82 Snakeye (retarded), Mk82 daisy cutter (nose probe fuze) or Mk82 Paveway laser guided bomb.

the BLU-82 which we are talking about here is a specialty weapon in a completely different class.

btw, the (current) FAEs have the respective designations of BLU-73, BLU-76,and the latest designs, the BLU-95 and BLU-96.

again, while both are in the blast class of weapons, the BLU-82 is not a FAE but an HCLC HE-bomb.

I could give you intrinsic details on all these weapons but my references are nowhere to be found (I'm currently moving).