Elite HMG 42 opens up on a Pershing

While I was checking a scenario I made for play balance I noticed an elite HMG 42 team open up on a buttoned Pershing tank about 30 - 50 meters out. The elite HMG 42 is up on a second story heavy building. Even if the HMG squad thought he might be sited by the pershing, wouldnt he run away, ie: drop the MG and get out of site from the tank rather then open up on the thing where he draws all his attention and has no chance of killing the tank ?

Just a thought on the AI and and maybe the improvements we will see in CM2 smile.gif

Well, it worked for Cpt. Miller in SPR, and he only had a pistol. smile.gif

------------------

The Last Defense- Made any scenarios? Send them here!

Well my skiff's a twenty dollar boat, And I hope to God she stays afloat.

But if somehow my skiff goes down, I'll freeze to death before I drown.

And pray my body will be found, Alaska salmon fishing, boys, Alaska salmon fishing.

Origianlly posted by Hamster:

Plus he's confused by any battle that claims to be balanced yet has a Pershing and elite troops.

Yeah, especially since both of those never appeared in WWII, ever. Accourding to this forum, niether did King Tigers or Jumbos with 76mm guns. biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by Guy w/gun (edited 03-27-2001).]

Guest Mikey D

Infantry manuals often list vulnerable spots on tanks to aim for, including vision slits, periscopes, mg openings, etc. But I don't think CM is modelled to have the tank's situational awareness degraded (busted periscopes) from continual fire. It may make sense to do it in CM2, where tanks on the front line would have a hail of shot coming down on them.

By the time the pershing appeared in the ETO the germans had developed special tungsten bullets which penetrated up to 150mm of armor when fired from the second floor of buildings. It is rumored that when fired from the 3rd floor the special bullets could go thru 200m of armor.

How widespread were these bullets in their availability, though, Bullethead? By the war's last year, I have the general impression that Germany's stock of tungsten was VERY limited.

Or leastways, that enough was regularly available for larger ordnance rounds.

Well, if I was an Elite HMG team and found myself in a two story building with a Pershing underneath me, not only would I open fire with the HMG, I would probably jump down on top of the tank and take it out by shooting my HMG through one of the vision slits, while gritting my combat knife between my teeth, with heroic music playing in the background!

Rambo, eat your heart out.

[This message has been edited by Doug Williams (edited 03-27-2001).]

Originally posted by Doug Williams:

Well, if I was an Elite HMG team and found myself in a two story building with a Pershing underneath me, not only would I open fire with the HMG, I would probably jump down on top of the tank and take it out by shooting my HMG through one of the vision slits, while gritting my combat knife between my teeth, with heroic music playing in the background!

And run as fast as you can the whole way, carrying all the ammo and spare barrels yourself. After all, you're an HMG team smile.gif

------------------

The Last Defense- Made any scenarios? Send them here!

Well my skiff's a twenty dollar boat, And I hope to God she stays afloat.

But if somehow my skiff goes down, I'll freeze to death before I drown.

And pray my body will be found, Alaska salmon fishing, boys, Alaska salmon fishing.

Well, the situation was one where the HMG was alone on the second floor and was hiding. There were a few allied tanks in the area plus some allied infantry which all had clear LOS to the HMG and no axis support. I don't know why he would want to fire his weapon against a unit that can't be penetrated by his weapon. Especially with all the odds against him. We would he do this? and not just surrender or continue to hide and be unseen?

I am just trying to follow the logic of his thinking (the HMG)

Also, I had a 2+ hide with a company HQ in C&C.

[This message has been edited by Freak (edited 03-28-2001).]

Yesterday in one battle I forgot to "hide" those stupid HMGs in the setup phase. Those freaks (3 of them) opened up fire against 4 unbuttoned tanks 400 meters away on the first turn. (yeah, on 400 meters they really have great chance of killing small tank commander's head mad.gif ). Needless to say what happened in a few seconds... All four tanks blazing guns at my HMGs. I was so angry that I let two of them die (one routed) and after that I aborted the battle.

A lesson learned: never, never forget to hide those Rambos! From now on I'll always select ALL units and order them to hide on setup.

Originally posted by Guy w/gun:

If you were refering to me, I hope you realize that I was being sarcastic. wink.gif

Oh. I thought you were referring to posts that other people had made. So elites did exist, you think? Just rare, like the manual says?

HMGs are maniacs. In a recent PBEM, I watched an entire platoon mangled because a regular HMG with a Hide order started firing on turn 1. A related problem is that you can't Sneak HMGs, which means that if they move while they can see the enemy, they are likely to open fire on their own initiative. This can be a particular problem in Chance Encounter.

Given the current problems with HMGs not holding their wad, I'd say that merely firing on a buttoned tank at 50m is pretty tame.

HMGs are simply too aggressive, which is why we need a command to tell the troops how aggressive they should be.

Hey good points Leonidas. I agree with the over aggresiveness of the HMG squad. A command to control their aggresive mindset would be nice.

I am hoping that for the future of CM (CM and beyond) that units such as HMG's are not as trigger happy as they are. I picture myself in a situation say the one I presented above and I cannot picture myself going up against those odds in any situation. I hope that presevation of units is emphasized more in CM 2 and beyond.