Setting up LAN game.

JOEY

Can someone help me set up a LAN game over two Macs. I have an ibook and a 233mhz powerbook. I also have the crossover cable I just dont know how to make the network work. Oh yeah the ibook has OS 9.0.4 and the Powerbook has OS 8.5. Please help I want to play a LAN game so bad!!!!!

THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP!!!!!

Later

Okay, here we go. I am going to skip some basics and so don't ask me the details.

For each mac, create a profile in the Location Manager, you may want to name it as "Home network",etc. For TCP/IP part, add a new configuration which you connect through "Ethernet". On the IP address setting, fill in the address in format "192.168.0.xxx" where XXX is any value from 0 to 255. Make sure you assign different addresses for different Mac or they would not work! I don't think you need subnet mask on this one. Save the profile and you can just leave the rest of the settings.

Link them up and there you go.

Good luck and have fun!

Griffin.

------------------

"When you find your PBEM opportents too hard to beat, there is always the AI."

"Can't get enough Tank?"

Hi all

Please forgive my technical ignorance here

but is it possible to connect two PCs via a serial connection to play CM (ie is that = to a LAN) or is a specific Network card/piece of kit needed on one or both PCs ?

Yours from blissful ignorance

------------------

Sgt Steiner

Belfast

NI UK

Sgt,

Will not work serial. You need to have tcp/ip connection which can be setup on ethernet or tokenring. Ethernet being cheaper, I suggest you get 2 network cards, a crossover cable, and install the cards and tcp/ip. You would then be able to play the game on your lan.

Rune

You'll find that there is nothing more fun than a good LAN party. Invite all your friends with macs over, and set up an ethernet network. It's so much better than internet gaming, because you can yell taunts across the table when you splatter your opponents with a rocket. Marathon II is by far the best LAN game, it's easy to set up, has an excellent weapons balance, and comes with a bunch of good multiplayer scenarios.

If there is a Mac User Group http://www.apple.com/usergroups/ in your area, they can be a great resource for organizing LAN parties.

------------------

Well my skiff's a twenty dollar boat, And I hope to God she stays afloat.

But if somehow my skiff goes down, I'll freeze to death before I drown.

And pray my body will be found, Alaska salmon fishing, boys, Alaska salmon fishing.

The Last Defense- Mods, Scenarios, and more!

Any you can always get a small network hub which is dirt cheap. I have one and home with the uplink to my ADSL modem.

For serial connections, you may need 2 modems. Once you connect them to ISP via dial-up networking, you can also play a lan game between two.

Griffin.

------------------

"When you find your PBEM opportents too hard to beat, there is always the AI."

"Can't get enough Tank?"