An odd occurance...

Drez

Just wanted to share with you a little interesting thing that happened in a QB i played just 10 min ago...

It was a night scenario, a meeting engagment in a town. I was playing as the axis(elite) versus the canadians(crack). The battle had been raging in fierce close combat for about 5 minutes/turns

and i had suffered the grievious loss of my PSW 231/3...sob sob...anyhow the crew (unt. Bauer) made good haste into the nearby woods...

Anyways.. along comes this canadian Kangeroo. It was apparently moving in to support the siege that was being conducted on a surrounded platoon of riflemen (1945 varient) holed up in a two light building...somehow through the darkness it managed to spot poor Bauer (the only one left of his crew) cowering in the woods... it turned and began to let loose on him with its MG (50 cal.?)

Now Bauer was in a depression about (25m?) away from the kangeroo, and the kangeroo gunner had to depress his turret MG very low (too low :rolleyes: i guess) to shoot at him... so after a few MG bursts the kangeroo was abandoned...it had shot itself one too many times in the hull... tongue.gif

confirmation that this indeed was what had happened to the kangeroo was found through replay after replay of the turn, i had no units within striking distance of the kangeroo except for Bauer...i could only chuckle to myself that this crack canadian crew could have been so stupid!

anyone else ever have this sort of thing happen to them in their games?

btw, Bauer survived that scary encounter, only to be cut down by a different kangeroo while making a daring dash to get back to friendly lines about 3 minutes/turns later... :(

I've had soft skinned vehicles kill themselves by firing a HE round too close before. They were either firing at an approaching infantry unit or hit the very edge of a nearby building. Really pisses you off when your Hummel keeps pumping 150mm HE rounds into that 2 story building that you have units hiding in. You sit there screaming "No, you moron! Stop firing, you're not even close!! Ergghhhh" smile.gif

Hanns

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Joe Shaw:

Don't forget that if you're playing with FULL FOW you may well not see the killer of your Kangaroo.<hr></blockquote>

Thing is, it was not his Kangoroo.

BTW, i once had a situation, where my M10 who suffered gun damage few turns earlier, suddenly got abandoned. Kill window said: "1 M10 destroyed". I assume it knocked itself out with flex .50 fire, but how? It was a night battle, btw.

I just transportet a 75mm Pak with a 251/1 to some woods and then moved the gun into the woods to get LOS to some enemy armour. Suddenly the gun gets knocked out. No shell burst, no tracers, nothing...

Maybe they saw the tanks and decided not to become heroes for the fatherland...

Well the thing to remember about night battles is that your own troops sometimes mistakenly fire on each other. So it's possible the other Kangaroo opened up on it or maybe a .50 cal.

The only good thing I've ever had come about from a night battle (along those lines) is two german infantry squads turn on each other while my guys took a much needed break from fire.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Cameroon:

Well the thing to remember about night battles is that your own troops sometimes mistakenly fire on each other. So it's possible the other Kangaroo opened up on it or maybe a .50 cal.<hr></blockquote>

I have NEVER seen a vehicle opening fire on friendly units. It happens with infantry pretty often at night, but not with vehicles. At least i have not seen it in about 1.5-2 years playing CM. Have i missed something?