Fruhlingshwind

My first try was Round 23 total victory, allied surrender. :eek:

No special taktik (infantry trough the wadi, panzer on left flank, no smoke)

I was lucky, I tried it several times till then, always minor victory or less :( (but most time allied surrender, many pows)

My favourite tactic is.

All inf throug wadi, kill guns and Ht with the heavy arti, assault with all panzers on left flank while blinding the shermans with smoke artillery.

Infiltrated my infantry in the center and flanks while I waited for the German reinforcements that can kill the M3s frontally (I like scenarios where you can not flank outside cover or effective range)

Shoot and scoot with recce units at HTs, provoking ATG fire.

Some Lees moved and showed me their sided

Then finally showed the PzIII(50L60)s and killed with the Marders. Lost one PzIII there.

The infantry reinforcements went right and center vs demoralized US forces.

The last two Shermans were tough, as they stayed keyholed and I had to close in on them - with infantry leading

A quick dash by recce and 2-3 PzIIIn's on the left flank resulted in the loss of a tank and 2 ACs when they outran their meager inf support. But they distracted the last Sherman.

Gruß

Joachim

BTW: There is another thread about the demo where some people won as Allies vs AI by just pressing "Go".

Originally posted by SchnellerHeinz:

There are no marders in Frühlingswind tongue.gif

Maybe you mean the Spw 250/11 Halftrack with the 20mm?

????

There are Marders in my version... IIRC it is the one from the CDV-CD (not the demo).. cause usually I don't overwrite scens.

Forces:

Starting with 222s, the 250/11s and recce inf.

Reinforcements are a plt of PzIII(j or L, 50L60 variety with 70mm frontal armor), then a plt of marders and a plt of PzIIIn. In between some Rifle Co.

Have to check that...

Gruß

Joachim

• 2 months later...

I'm dragging this up from Feb because it's the scenario that sold me on CMAK (the demo version, of course), and I wanted to comment on it.

As the Germans against the AI, I really needed all 40 turns. I nearly despaired at a few points, but stuck with it and finally cracked the defenders. The terrain helps -- you can isolate the Americans in their default locations (this doesn't work if you let the AI place units -- forward defense can be a nasty surprise, as can a FO with LOS into the wadi. I found that out the hard way).

In the center I infiltrated 2 platoons through the wadi and had them wait for an opportune moment. I sent 2 others to either flank. The guys on my right got into a lot of trouble; they spent most of the battle pinned down. On the left I sent the other two to behind the mesa, where they were out of sight. I had my Panzers hang back for a while in the middle, trading shots with the M3s and several Shermans (my light armor units were slaughtered).

I then decided to get things moving. I sent one Pz III platoon to the left behind the mesa. I sent another one right up the middle (fast move), where I noticed the terrain masked them from the M3s. The other had lost two tanks, so I kept them behind the wadi for overwatch. I later sent two of them to the left for reinforcements after that platoon lost two tanks.

On the left, I played hide and seek with the M3s, lost a couple of tanks, but finally overran the defenders. In the middle, I had my tanks stopped for quite a while, trying to unpin my infantry on the right (also, trying to figure out what to do. I suck. I know this). They were being shot at by two M4s from inside the oasis. These finally showed themselves (oops) and were taken out, and the American infantry finally broke on that side. Now I was finally ready to move against the "Alamo" in the middle. I basically brought everyone together from 3 sides, suppressing targets as they popped up. Unfortunately, I moved a bit too slowly, and the scenario ended before I took the Alamo. But I would have.

Each tank platoon lost two tanks, including all 3 plt leaders. 2 of my infantry platoons were shot up pretty badly, but all were intact and usable at the end. I destroyed all Allied vehicles except two M3s who routed off the map. I used my 105s against the Alamo, and the 81s against the American platoon out in the open on the right. Neither were particularly effective. I also used a smoke mission in the middle to mask the M3s from units I was moving on the right. That was more effective.

I'm absolutely horrible at attacking, so I felt a real sense of accomplishment in beating this. Typically, I lose all my tanks. I really appreciated the high turn limit too. Things didn't really start moving until turn 25.

IIRC the trick was not trading shots but single out tanks, lure them to fire at your PzIIIj then moving up 1-2 Marders - TacAI will usually stay on the PzIIIs then. Or wait till the tanks move and show their sides. Then you can kill them with the PzIIjs. Removing the US HTs by shoot & scoot with light armor helped protecting my Marders.

Armor Plt HQs are priority targets for the TacAI. Try to move them in view of the enemy later in the turn. If the TacAI already has acquired a target, it has to either switch targets or your HQ is safer.

Gruß

Joachim