CM vs Music

Hmm, can anyone direct me to some very strong Choir/Symphony music similar to the Red Army Choir's "Hunt for Red October"? I just listened to that yesterday and was greatly impressed, and I was wondering if there were any similar music/soundtracks that I could go purchase. Thanks!

Originally posted by Robeek:

Hmm, can anyone direct me to some very strong Choir/Symphony music similar to the Red Army Choir's "Hunt for Red October"? I just listened to that yesterday and was greatly impressed, and I was wondering if there were any similar music/soundtracks that I could go purchase. Thanks!

Carl Orff's Carmina Burana comes to mind immediately. I like the Jochum on Deutsche Grammophon.

Verdi's Requiem: Solti and the VPO on London (Decca) records is very good.

Mozart's Requiem.

Also, Beethoven's 9th Symphony might fit here as well. Karl Bohm with Gwyneth Jones and Jess Thomas on Deutsche Grammophon is my favorite 9th. But I think it only comes as a two-fer now, along with the 3rd Symphony. Warning: there is another Bohm 9th out there with Placido Domingo and Jessye Norman on DG that isn't nearly as good as the older Bohm recording with Jones/Thomas.

Soundtracks? A different war, but the soundtrack to Glory is good. As is the Conan the Barbarian soundtrack.

- Chris

Guest machineman

Originally posted by Robeek:

Thanks for the tip. I just typed Red Army into Napster and was rewarded with plenty of stirring music. Makes me want to jump out of the trenches and battle the fascists right now.

Originally posted by David Aitken:

Chup, you just listen to obscure indie bands to confuse people. I do keep reading about Mogwai in The Scotsman, though...

David

Not true, I listen to obscure indie bands to bore and annoy girlfriends.

------------------

Soy super bien soy super super bien soy bien bien super bien bien bien super super

OK, so maybe I'm not the grog I used to be, since lately I've been running CM with the sound turned off. Ambient background noise is currently provided by Radiohead's Kid A, selected Aphex Twin and Future Sound of London. When playing at night it's usually Portishead & Protection by Massive Attack (to spare the next door neighbours).

I do have to confess that when I was plotting my turn last Saturday (August BankHoliday as the Germans), I lapsed into some vintage Sisters of Mercy and Fields of the Nephilim...

How about some good, angry, modern stuff:

Body Count

Rage Against the Machine

Mobb Deep

NIN

WWB

------------------

Before battle, my digital soldiers turn to me and say,

Ave, Caesar! Morituri te salutamus.

World War 2 Radio Station: Really sets the mood, and because it's online you don't need to take the CM CD out of the drive (which I do for music).

wink.gif

198.76.133.133:8000

216.32.166.82:9898

These are the channels for the radio station. Plug them into winamp or whatever you use to listen.