My coolest CM miracle to date!

I gotta share this with my fellow CM'ers (my girlfriend doesn't exactly qualify).

In an Ardennes scenario that shall remain un-named, I was playing the americans and was taking a beating by a german mechanized force and it didn't look good. I managed to knock out most of their armour, but in the process lost all of mine. Well, in desperation I targeted a Mark IV with an 81mm mortar, knowing full well that the life expectancy of that crew would be measured in seconds, but I still had to do it. Anyway, the third mortar round barely left the tube when sure enough, the crew was almost obliterated and the mortar knocked out. Now here's the cool part: The tank turned it's attention to another target and I was only half-way paying attention when all of the sudden the Mark IV disintegrated in a spectacular explosion. What the heck happened? Unbelievably, the last mortar round made a direct top hit five seconds after that very same tank knocked the mortar out! That turned the tide of the battle and once again the world was safe for democracy.

God I love this game!

Motars in CM (all versions) are known to be the best "tank killers" in terms of price / performance. I has lost and killed many panzers using this tactics. There had been quite a number of discusssions if the motars were too accurate.

Happy hunting! cool.gif

Griffin.

------------------

"When you find your PBEM opportents too hard to beat, there is always the AI."

"Can't get enough Tank?"

I don't know what's worse, getting killed by a mortar or the pea-shooter that they call the Stuart. Something like a flank shot from a Sherman or Firefly would have been much more respectable.

------------------

"Uncommon valor was a common virtue"-Adm.Chester Nimitz of the Marines on Iwo Jima

Guest Captitalistdoginchina

The US 60mm mortar will also take out a Mk 1V no problem.

CDIC

------------------

"Death solves all problems - no man no problem"

J.V.Stalin, 1918

So do British 2-inch motars tongue.gif

One of my PzIV bought it in last TCP game.

Griffin.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Captitalistdoginchina:

The US 60mm mortar will also take out a Mk 1V no problem.

CDIC

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------

"When you find your PBEM opportents too hard to beat, there is always the AI."

"Can't get enough Tank?"

As CDIC eloquently put it, no problem. This goes back to the Mark IV, Workhorse or Toast post:

http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/Forum1/HTML/013890.html

Within this post I bragged about how my 2 Mark IVs were kicking Uncle Sams butt up and down the Maginot Line. This was a scenario against CDIC, and he had just left for the holidays. Well, he came back. The last turn that was in the pipe, floating around in the ether we call INTERNET, had a 1 minute film of horror within it.

I watched with a sickening wretchedness:

One of my Mark IVs approached his last Stuart, drooling at the mouth, hungry for this final kill. Nope. The Stuart buzzed by, at around 30 mph, and disappeared behind a cabin. The IVs turret trailed him until it got to the house, and then stopped. The Stuart reappears on the other side of the house and draws a bead. The tank crew, realizing their mistake with nearly mock surprise, begins turning the turret again. Stuart says, "Surprise!". Mark IV goes poof.

My other Mark IV sits in a road not far away during this exchange. 60mm mortar shells begin raining. The IV commander (Unt Anglen, a wonderful man) thinks,"Hmm, glad I'm buttoned up. Pass me the Saurkraut" After the fourth of fifth DIRECT HIT, poof, goodbye second Mark IV.

All in one minute. All in the turn that was awaiting CDIC to return from holiday. Sitting there the whole time I was praising the beautiful machine that is the Mark IV. My new Mark IV assesment: Toast if you brag. Workhorse if you are a humble man.

Nice work CDIC!

And yet, a couple of weeks ago, an 81mm mortar crew with an hq observing put 6 out of 14 rounds directly onto the top deck of a Sherman II. The result? Nothing. The tank never even backed up or popped smoke. Those Tommies must have known they were in no danger. Guess it could have been bad luck, but 6 rounds....

I think it was the Villers-Bocage mission... but I remember a recent mission where a mortar team took out no less that TWO tigers... very close range (for the mortar) and grouped together.

Quite silly actually.... but I didn't see my men complaining. :P

Joe

------------------

"I had no shoes and I cried, then I met a man who had no socks." - Fred Mertz