Has this ever happened to anyone?

Here goes:

I had a Veteran Fallschirmjaeger platoon hiding near a road. Suddenly a Canadian-British tank force hove into view ahead on the road, some 8 tanks strong, 3 Stuarts, 3 Achilles, and 2 Sherman V. 1 Sherman had a Vickers MG riding on it, and the other had a 2 inch mortar riding on it. The Shermans were leading the column.

Suddenly two of the squads, at a distance of about 100m, began firing at the troops riding on the tanks. The mortar was wiped out in a coupla seconds, and the Vickers took 3 casualties.

The results were predictable. Each squad was pounded into nothingness by the combined fire of 2 75mm, 3 76mm, and 2 37mm cannons.

This is infuriating. These were VETERANS, mind you. They gleefully commited virtual suicide. Why? Is this just coding? Was I just very unlucky?

More importantly, can this be fixed?

:mad:

So some idiot recruit opened fire before he should have (even a vet platoon might have an idiot or 2 in it!).

Maybe if you'd set an ambush point they might've held fire, but possibly they might've decided they were about to be discovered anyway, and they should get the 1st shot in.

what options would thye have if discovered? Continue hiding, shoot it out, surrender, run away.............

I have no problem with troops f-ing up occasionally.

The scenario was the ASL scenario The Big Cat's Den. Something similar happened to a Heer infantry platoon in the same battle(that scenario is sorta weird-it has Heer, SS, and FJ troops all in it). This makes me think it's not just a trigger-happy idiot.

You just discovered a way to reduce the chances of successful infantry ambushes of your armor. Put troops on the tanks. The hiding grunts can't resist a juicy inf target hitching a ride. Better yet, put an AT team on the lead tank. The ambushing AI's trigger finger will really be itching then. :D

Treeburst155

I see the next Gamey Tactic coming. Just stick a sharpshooter on each vehicle that can carry one. Any enemy troops that are hiding will HAVE to shoot at them. smile.gif

So? Anyone had similar experiences?

Why would the AI absolutely have to shoot at Sharpshooters? I think it is far more likely that the AI will blow an ambush when it sees an AT team on a vehicle. Those AT teams are like magnets when it comes to enemy fire. I believe AT teams and sharpshooters are very close in price too.

Treeburst155 out.

You just triggered standard AI behavior...indeed there's NO way to tell a troop "DON'T FIRE !!" .

Even hidden/in ambush, they' ll open fire as soon as they have a good potential target, even if the "targets" happens to have potential deadly return fire...

This is a real pain when defending against concentrated attacks - only thing to do is to get your defenders out FAST, before they trigger their own death !!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mike the bike:

Hmm?? So you think that Heer don't have idiots in their ranks? :eek:<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

most of my guys I buy are idiots!! it don't matter if they be vets or elite!! I think some coding is gone bad, half of them die the momment I push "go"!!!

BTS do somefink!!

Guest PondScum

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Treeburst155:

Those AT teams are like magnets when it comes to enemy fire.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

AT team, phooey. Put a flamethrower on your lead tank :D You just know that poor sod is going to attract fire from any hiding infantry nearby - and if there aren't any, well hell, you just got a flamethrower team to the front!