Too much Combat Mission?

I agree with Col. Deadmarsh. When I get tired and irritable I get my girlfriend drunk and beg her to have sex with me.

The morning after I regain my sanity and start playing CM again.

------------------

"Woof!Woof!"

That's my other dog impression.

I agree with Colonel Deadmarsh. Tiger man, you just need to knock out some strange, hit the steam room, do some Guinness, maybe get blinded. You know, do some real life things. It'll all come back, you'll be aw-ite!

------------------

"Gentlemen, you may be sure that of the three courses

open to the enemy, he will always choose the fourth."

-Field Marshal Count Helmuth von Moltke, (1848-1916)

I really wish BTS would consider opening up the AI API in the next version of the engine, so that other developers could have a go at making the AI a worthy oppoenent.

Wouldn't it be nice to try out differnent AI plugins? Maybe even have an AI tournament?

"Man I downloaded SuperSlug's AI last night and it kicked my ass in five turns!!"

How 'bout it BTS?

Unfortunately programming an AI isn't like doing mods. With the way that CM works the several levels of AI are at the core of the game (since the TacAI is in effect regardless if it is single or multi-player). It is also more of a balancing act than a simple "to do list" of logic.

Writing up an API for third party programmers to mod CM isn't in BTS's plans right now. Steve has stated in the past that the time take to do this (about 6 months or so) would take away from time creating a product that they could sell. It comes down to the issue that they can directly make money creating CM2, etc.; where they can't directly quantify the financial benefits of writing up an API for others to program with.

If you're curious about this issue you can search this forum for posts about "APIs" or "licensing the engine", etc. and get a direct guage on BTS's feelings on the subject.

Originally posted by Schrullenhaft:

Unfortunately programming an AI isn't like doing mods. With the way that CM works the several levels of AI are at the core of the game (since the TacAI is in effect regardless if it is single or multi-player). It is also more of a balancing act than a simple "to do list" of logic.

Programming isn't like editing .bmp files?

I would have never guessed. I didn't ask them to open up the STATEGIC AIs API in CM2. I asked them to consider opening it up when they re-write the engine. CM3?

One of the reasons CM is a success is that it can be modified, all be in a limited way. Giving the buyer the ability to improve the product makes the product that much more appealing to wider audience.

They should give the idea due consideration when they plan their rewrite. It would probably end up making the game engine more robust, moduler and end up being easier to test and maintain in the long run.

BTW I speak from 12 years of hard core C and

C++ developement.

Cheers,