The condition of the Mod Community

Priest

Hey folks my name is Priest and I am a HUGE ModSlut. The problem is two fold. First off I lack any semblance of talent when it comes to modding. Second is that with CMBB coming soon I know that the focus will rightfully be there on that game. So with many folks upgrading PCs and getting ready for CMBB there is still some mod work to be done (very little) to CMBO. I also know that many mods are still in the works and that many others may be published and I missed them (I truly have looked around the web ring). Some of the mods have been done that I am going to mention but have not been updated or are only available in Lo-Res. Again since a large amount of players have machines capable or soon will have machines capable of running CMBO with at least some Hi-Res mods.

This is what I have found.

Does anyone have a 250/8 mod (possibly looking like Fernando's)

Hi-Res German Truck? Winter?

Winter Churchills and Cromwells are missing as far as I can tell.

There is a Winter Pershing with a nice snow effect but not one in Hi Res to sit next to Marco's and Gordon's Mods although the snow effect is really good.

I could have also swore there was a good winter Allied truck also but cannot seem to find it.

The Dailmer, Humber, Uni's, and Ram Kangas also need winter version from what I can tell.

I have had a hard time finding also the infamous Flak Trucks in winter trappings that can stand next to Fernando's and others Hi Res mods.

Lastly I was surprised not to find a JagdPanzer IV winter mod of recent design.

And just to piss off the grogs how about a winter Hotchkiss. Technically you could have one in a scenario in the game (if not in history) :D

I am still researching about 4 vehicles so I will get back to you folks with my findings. I am not demanding or crying for mods just asking for help or direction while trying to see if the mod community can help "finish" up CMBO before attention diverts to CMBB.

Thanks

[ 09-18-2001: Message edited by: Priest ]

I agree that Tiger was very itregal part of our community but please lets not rehash that subject.

I will be looking at support weapons and terrain soon also although I believe them to be areas pretty well covered.

Infantry seems to be the best most complete area of modding with numerous options available to the players.

Actually, I've done a number of mods including a 250/8 that EXACTLY matches the other German HTs by Fernando. as well as other vehicles, uniforms, etc.

However, I do all of my mods in low res because they match the existing artwork and I tend to feel that everything looks better when it all matches to the same level of detail. I didn't bother ever showing any of it because the low res don't seem to be at all popular since the release of some of the hi-res work.

The last mods I released were the winter allied vehicles that I did a LONG time ago.

I'll post a screenshot of the 250/8 when I get home tonight.

Actually Fernando has made a 250/8 variant and released it as an update to his SdKfz 250 set around February 2001. It's in Hires and had three different camo variants.

I have winter versions for the Cromwell and the Churchill. Can't remember the guy, who sent them to me, but they're based on the stock CM graphics. :(

Marcus

[ 09-18-2001: Message edited by: mike8g ]

I believe there will be a processor hike and an 8mb video card nothing too steep. But I believe the requirements for CMBO were 200mhz and a 4mb video card. Figure a 350-400mhz processor and a 8mb video card for CMBB, although that is just a guess.

As for Tiger he has decided to part ways with the community for the time being. Hopefully he will rejoin us at some point.

Now I have been working on this all day and here is what I have found.

The biggest hole is the lack of winterized Churchills and Cromwells.

The Allies AFVs tend to be very complete in LoRes and HiRes mods but there are a few missing.

The Dailmer AC is missing a HiRes mod and has no winter mods whatsoever.

The Humber SC, Sexton, and RAM Kangaroo need winter mods but do possess a variety of regular mods.

I will start looking more deeply into the German AFV's now.

[ 09-18-2001: Message edited by: Priest ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Priest:

As for Tiger he has decided to part ways with the community for the time being. Hopefully he will rejoin us at some point.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tiger was forced off the forum for suggesting an improvement in how infantry mods work.

After quickly looking into the German AFVs more I have found the following.

The Lynx Winter Version could use an update in my opinion as it is sitting next to a lot of Fernando-style mods (at least on my machine :D )

The Marders also have not been hi-res'd in the winter mode.

All the FLAK vehicles need Hi Res winter mods though the normal mods offer quite a few options. Did Fernando or someone ever do the Flak trucks? This need also covers the Wirbelwind and Ostwind for winterized mods.

The Jagdpanzer IV needs a hi res choice in the winter

The JagdTiger has yet to be Hi Res'd in the winter flavor also.

Yeah, a Daimler with unit markings and the hi-res saddlebag accoutrements (now considered par for the mod course) would be nice to add to my arsenal.

And I'd definitely like to see some Gordon/Fernando grade Churchills, Cromwells & Challengers with unit marking.

And where did those UK "mickey mouse" darkened camo variants of Magua's allied halftrack go? They were rumoured to be just around the corner.

After quickly looking into the German AFVs more I have found the following.

The Lynx Winter Version could use an update in my opinion as it is sitting next to a lot of Fernando-style mods (at least on my machine :D )

The Marders also have not been hi-res'd in the winter mode.

All the FLAK vehicles need Hi Res winter mods though the normal mods offer quite a few options. Did Fernando or someone ever do the Flak trucks? This need also covers the Wirbelwind and Ostwind for winterized mods.

The Jagdpanzer IV needs a hi res choice in the winter

The JagdTiger has yet to be Hi Res'd in the winter flavor also.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Priest:

Ignoring the peanut gallery. If you make a database of mods made and mods not made, I will turn it into a web page with links to the download pages and post it. Then modders will have a place to come to see what mods are made, and what need to be made, and the links will go to the various excellent websites already in business with more information on the mods.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pvt. Ryan:

Manx already has a list of all the mods that are done. He was recently asking for someone to update the list for him. You might want to get in touch with him about this.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I will do so, I am at work at my computer late, can you shoot his e-mail address to me at steve.n.jackson@usdoj.gov

[ 09-18-2001: Message edited by: Slapdragon ]

I second helping Manx out some Slappy his website is top notch but he is having issues trying to find time to update the list.

If you would like I have over a gigabyte of archived mods from a variety of places. We could work backwards and try to see if we can get everything together for the Modlist.

Usually when I find a new site I download all of the mods and then archive them. Too bad I did not take down their location in retrospect.

I second helping Manx out some Slappy his website is top notch but he is having issues trying to find time to update the list.

If you would like I have over a gigabyte of archived mods from a variety of places. We could work backwards and try to see if we can get everything together for the Modlist.

Usually when I find a new site I download all of the mods and then archive them. Too bad I did not take down their location in retrospect.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We can work backwards anyway, get as many as we can in place. I would prefer everyone keep their mods on their own servers unless we get an e-mail from the creator saying we can post them, and I don't want to steal the flame from anyone else's website, our site will just be a link page and an upkeep of Manx's site.

Contact me at work, or better yet at my address in my bio, and we will get moving on this.

First of all Priest, being a former modslut myself I would STRONGLY advise you to simply stay away from "that whole area."

Before you can blink, it will reach into you and tear out your soul and jokingly dangle it infront of your face with its black claws. You will wake up one morning, like I did, and come to the sudden realizing that you are no longer in control of your life. And its a long road back to sanity, bub :( . IT HAPPENED TO ME, IT WILL HAPPEN TO YOU!!!

For clarification and hopefully a good laugh see link tongue.gif : http://www.battlefront.com/cgi-bin/bbs/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=021372

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Captain Wacky:

Manx you will be the death of me yet smile.gif

BTW did you get my email back? If not, you have my full permission to post my little thread on your site. Glad you enjoyed it, I think it was about the only thing I enjoyed last week :(

*******STAY AWAY FROM MODS THEY ARE BAD JUJU-don't say I didn't warn you******* tongue.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes i did -- i'm working on it right now. ;)

p.s - MODS: Don't blame me...i'm just the middle-man; a pawn in this whole sordid business.

Cheers!