Rave, GL...?

Hello there, ladies and gentlemen...

What kind of rendering did CM use?

I have been trying to make it work under MacOS X on "classic" mode with no success. Every other application or game I have tried, both OpenGL and RAVE, has worked perfectly, but Combat Mission has not.

Did anybody manage to get it working with OS X? Come on, it is the only game I play. A life without Combat Mission is like a life without milk.

:(

Cm won't work under OS X with graphic acceleration. It will work in software mode though. Unfortunately, CM does not offer any sort of options section where you can make this choice. The only way I've found to make it work is to bring up the extesions manager in Classic and disable Classic RAVE. You have to do this as Classic is starting up or it will put it back.

I hope CM:BB will at least let us use RAVEin classic.

CuriH

CMBO needs the latest version (1.7 ?) of RAVE to work properly. The current Classic RAVE extension for OS X supports an earlier version of RAVE (1.6). Therefore there can't be any 3D hardware acceleration until the Classic RAVE extension is updated to support the version of RAVE that CM needs.

As pointed out earlier, this issue will be the same for CMBB. It would be too much effort to try to 'back-code' CM (CMBB) to support RAVE 1.6 (if it would even look or work the same), despite the number of users who would like to run CMBO/CMBB under OS X.

I believe 'software-rendering' can be achieved by disabling/removing the Classic RAVE extension, booting in 'Classic Mode' and deleting the CM prefs file. Upon starting CM up again it should attempt to go through the resolution selection process, which should be limited to software-rendered modes.

If this problem isn't going to be fixed, I hope that BTS will at least add some sort of preferences screen so that we can choose software rendering. With the Classic RAVE installed it automatically chooses RAVE and it's a real pain to have to disable it every time I switch back to OS X.

CuriH

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by David Aitken:

However, I believe there are graphical glitches on new machines with nVidia cards.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There are if you use the 1.1.1 drivers that Apple supplies with OS 9.1 (and existing versions of X too, I believe). But if you will cop the 2.3 drivers that come with 9.2.1 (or whatever the new version of 9 is), they fix most of the problems encountered with CM nicely.

Michael

How many of us want to use OSX and play CM?

Saddly I think there are only a handful of us and think we are out of luck.

I now need to run two Macs one with Mac OSX (to stay current with the state of the art in the Mac OS) and one mac with 9.1 only to run CM.

it is a REAL pain (PITA) to try to reboot from OSX into 9.1 and the try to play CM, I have concluded it is not worth the hassle of trying to play CM on a MAC that has OSX installed on it.

How many of us are there that are actually inconvenienced by this issue?

-tom w

my God my GOD I haven't been able to play CM in ages due to NVIDIA glitches!

I have Mac OS 9.2.1 and I still have problems, but I'll try installing those drivers again.

Can anyone tell me where I can find 'em (I've scoured the apple website and can't find the ones you're talking about) or could someone send 'em to me?

"busboy@integtechnology.com"

Well, I DLed the entire 9.2.1 installer just for the NVIDIA stuff, and it hasn't fixed my graphic oddities.

(those are the horrific distortion of in game test, such as landmarks and unit info screens, and a completely black background rather than the "sky.")

Is problem that I am missing some kind of RAVE driver and have only openGL? Arrgh, I want to play CM and I want to be able to play CM2!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by busboy:

(those are the horrific distortion of in game test, such as landmarks and unit info screens, and a completely black background rather than the "sky.")<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The 2.3 drivers won't do anything about the black skies or background, but they will clear up the on-screen text and the lack of text on the save screen. MÃ¥kjager mailed me my set and I will send you one if you wish it. I'm not sure, but I think there might be some other problem with 9.2.1. I am using the new drivers within 9.1 and they work fine there. There was a thread on the General Discussion board about all this a couple weeks back. You (and anybody else with an interest in the subject) should take a look at it. Check the version numbers on your driver set; they should all read 2.3 except for the 2D Acceleration driver which remains 1.1.1. If you don't have the 2.3 set, let me know and I will send it to you. Be advised though, some of them are slow downloads.

Michael

Well...

I am currently restarting in order to play CM. I generally play a very long battle a week, or two/three small ones, and it certainly deserves the effort of rebooting with 'alt' so I can choose the partition from which to read the system software.

Anyway, as a fellow user already said, I would like to play Combat Mission in a couple of years just as I still play Harpoon. And if it can happen through OS X, it would be a lot better.

-I know I am insane, but I actually restart in order to play. I would even play if I had to make a fresh install every bloody day-

:D

This is not a game: this is a disease.

Hmm, none of my problems have been fixed.

I've got the 2.3 versions on all of 'em, including the 2d one that you say I should have the old version. I'm running on OS 9.2.1 so it was updated automaticly. If you could send me the 2d one I'd appreciate it.

I can live with the black sky, but the text is killing me. In the unit info box there is a small "distortion" where the text has been condensed into, its a nothing more than a virticlal line. Other than that there is no info in the unit box. If I hit enter to get the detailed stats, or if I hit the hotkey lookup, all text is warped into lines and that bears no hint at text, and the "ok" buttons are simply not there.

Again, I can put up with gameplay in pure night, but when I can't tell unit strength, and other critical things... owwwww....I WANNA PLAY! smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

What is the problem anyway? What IS causing this. ( I dunno who remembers this, but I've dropped in and out of the message board community here to try to get this fixed for a good while)

Jarmo,

Rune worked under OSX with Classic Rave, which shocks me, since Unreal Tournament did not -and has the same game engine-

Rainbow Six worked as well. With some hardware acceleration glitches, though.

What I find is that OSX is quite temperamental. Here in Spain, most Mac users are complaining about the number of things that don't work on their OSXs, and right now I am known in my old Apple store -the one I have been visiting for 8 years now- as 'the man who has an OSX that works and is happy with it'.

I did not do anything. I just treat my machine like I treated my dear old PowerMac 6100. :D

Add my name to the list of people who want to play CM in Mac OS X.

As I've mentioned before, I am willing to pay an upgrade fee in recognition to the significant amount of work that would be required to update the game to the latest Mac OS.

Toad

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by aka_tom_w:

How many of us want to use OSX and play CM?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now from what I understand here the issue is that CM doesn't use openGL, it uses RAVE? Is this correct? Thats pretty strange if true, as when CM was made there was an obvious shift toward OpenGL and away from Rave. I dunno, there's something I'm not understanding here. I'm not understanding why OS X wouldn't run CM.

At any rate, I hope CM2 has OpenGL support and OS X capability.

For a side note, I don't have OS X yet but will upgrade eventually.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> CM doesn't use openGL, it uses RAVE? Is this correct? Thats pretty strange if true, as when CM was made there was an obvious shift toward OpenGL and away from Rave. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That was true when CM came out, even true a year before that. But that's not when CM was made. About 3-4 years ago when the work on CM began, Rave was the thing. No hints from Apple that they'd be abandoning it before long.

Right now it seems the Mac future gaming is in OpenGL. But as windows side seems to have all but abandoned it, who's to say Apple wont ditch GL in favour of DirectX in a year or two?