Really dumb question (i think)

Ok, with all the talk around here about the CM sequal im getting a little confused. Obviously the sequal coming out is CM:BB. As I understand it, this will include some relatively minor changes in the actual game. Mainly it is a new environment and theatre with new units and other things associated with the eastern front.

But I have also heard talk of CM2, often in the same topic as CM:BB. Is CM2 just another name people are using for CM:BB? Or is CM2 a TRUE sequal (with major engine, graphical, and other rewrites) which will come out in the distant future, long after CM:BB. In short, are CM2 and CM:BB on in the same?

Cap, "CM:BB" is "Combat Mission: Barbarossa to Berlin", also referred to as CM2, CMBB, CMBtB etc. It's the direct sequel to CM1 (or CMBO). Not sure why you have the impression that there will only be minor changes between these two, though. I can tell you from playing around with the beta that it's a whole new ballgame smile.gif

CM II (notice the roman "II") has been used in the past to describe the second iteration of the Combat Mission engine, i.e. a complete engine rewrite with dynamic lighting, even smaller terrain resolution etc. This is something which is planned in a couple of years (at best).

Martin

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Moon:

... the second iteration of the Combat Mission engine [with] even smaller terrain resolution<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Which brings up a question I've always wondered about. What exactly is the current resolution in the game? When creating a map, the smallest terrain object you can put down with the editor is 20mx20m, but the terrain itself is obviously finer. I can use the LOS tool to mark off distances as small as 1m, but can move the mouse more finely than that (though the game won't indicate a change in distance less than 1m). I can even move the unit to that "partial-meter" spot: anywhere in between the point at which the LOS tool changes from -say- 27m up to a point just before it changes over to the 28m mark. So just how fine is CM1 anyway?

- Chris

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wolfe:

Which brings up a question I've always wondered about. What exactly is the current resolution in the game? When creating a map, the smallest terrain object you can put down with the editor is 20mx20m, but the terrain itself is obviously finer. I can use the LOS tool to mark off distances as small as 1m, but can move the mouse more finely than that (though the game won't indicate a change in distance less than 1m). I can even move the unit to that "partial-meter" spot: anywhere in between the point at which the LOS tool changes from -say- 27m up to a point just before it changes over to the 28m mark. So just how fine is CM1 anyway?

- Chris<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well yes, the terrain, namely the grass grid is 20x20 meters, however the distance calculations go down to the individual meter.

Nothing new here. But as Michael emrys said, that it is possible that for CMII that it may change down to 5x5 which would provide a greater deal of elevation changes. Therefore it would be possible to create stuff like ditches and whatnot.