MOD etiquette question

I have a couple of more new MODs on my harddisk, but I'm not sure if it is 'legal' to release them to the public, since they're based on the work of other authors.

My last mod, the Wirbelwind/Ostwind for example, was based on Gordon Molek's and Fernando J. Carrera's work. I have written permission from these authors to use and modify their work, so no problem with that, since proper credit has been given along with my mod.

Okay, here are the specific mods along with a short description and the encountered problems:

m18.jpg

M18 Hellcat

Textures expanded to HiRes, but generally unchanged. Replaced the "blurry" star with a better one.

Since this mod is only based on the stock CM graphics, there should be no problem with a public release, if there's some interest for it.

td.jpg

M10, M36, Wolverine and Achilles

(Improvement for the M10 / M36 TD mod from Mike Duplessis)

Since Mike's mod was partially LoRes, some more textures were made HiRes (hull and turret sides).

Suspension replaced with the highly detailed suspension texture from Marco Bergman's Sherman.

A star added to the turret side. BMP-Files renamed to fit for the British Achilles TD (plus additional textures for the turret)

There's no problem with the texture from Marco, since he has given a general permission to use and modify his work (with the usual credit...), but I have not contacted Mike Duplessis yet, since I don't have an email-address. Perhaps someone can help me out here, because I really like to contact him, before I re-release some of his stuff.

m24.jpg

M24 Chaffee

(Improvement for the M24 mod from John S. aka Tiger)

I used a perfect sideshot photo (from www.jagdtiger.de) to make a better looking suspension.

This is a one-file-replacement, resolution stays the same.

(Tried to use the wheels for the Pershing, too, though not 100% correct).

This mod replaces some of John "Tiger" S.'s work.

He used to be not amused when somebody else used parts of his mods (I remember a dispute he had with another author who used his StuG suspension), so this M-24 mod would probably be a no-go.

On the other hand, John has left the CM community, so I really don't know if I should make this mod public.

Any comments welcome

Marcus "mike8g"

That brown pavement is part of Magua's buildings from CM outpost.

I've modded a lot of other people's mods. Magua's normandy buildings (which are great and inspired me to change them a little). I've changed Andrew foxes great uniforms to look more weathered. If anybody wants to have a look I can send you screenshots. I've also changed the normandy tree bases as well.

Mike8g:

IMO, so long as you in good faith credit the original modder and the spirit and intent of your mod is so others can get more enjoyment out of CM, then go for it. We all love this game and anything we can do to enhance that and keep it looking new, different and refreshing the longer we will continue to enjoy it.

You appear to have made many interesting tweaks and edits, as evidenced by people's interest in getting your mods, and I suspect your hardrive (and others out there) are overflowing with great variants. Don't hold out folks, it's not like the community gets a mod a day anymore - you know. I suspect some of our addicted mod community are close to expiration if they don't get something soon.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

Let me know when you're done the Canadian ones.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It'll be my pleasure to send them out to you as soon as I'm done. I can't do a base mod to save my life, but I'm reasonably good at country specific mods. I've got a set of CMMOS mods based on I think Andrew Foxes jeeps I might send into Manx.

...in reference to mike8g:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>...I really don't know if I should make this mod public.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

...put them up, good fellow - they are easily the best available to date. the M-10 is a definite piece of solid work.

...on a sidebar, why didn't you ever complete the gunshield texture for the SdKfz/7 (37mmm variant)? forget or too lazy?

As modmaker and mod addicted, I agree to this : if the original producer has given his permission and is credited, everyone can do what he want, and may post where he want. Of course only if he is good enough ;)

[ 10-12-2001: Message edited by: Scipio ]