CMBB Featured in PC Gamer

Sorry folks, I kind of assumed somebody else would have an issue. There is no link, to the best of my knowledge. (Print only) They placed it on page 22, so they're pretty excited about it too. (22 out of 136. Nice, huh? :D)

However, here's a list of unveiled details:

(You ****ers owe me for typing all this... :D;))

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>PC Gamer CMBB Preview (Verbatim):

New movement types: Move to Contact, Assault, Human WAve, and Hull Down.

A new in-game graphical interface.

An "Extreme" Fog of War option: You get even less information about enemy units, and even when you get close, the information still won't be complete.

Variable battle-length options: Battles can last a few turns beyond the "stated" ending. Furthermore, if victory flahs change hands shortly before the battle is set to end, the battle automatically extends several turns --- the old "end-game-flag-rush" tactic (which was always a bit too "gamey") simply won't work anymore.

Purchase Point Rarity Option: "We looked at the historical availability of units in the games, for every month from June 1941 to May 1945, and the rarity option now applies a multiplier to the point cost for all units, with high costs for the less common ones. This leads to much more realistic force allocations. Panzer IV tanks are common, so their multipliers are low. King Tigers are rare, so they're much more expensive, even beyond the price you already pay for the extra combat power."

Most Vehicles can now be purcahsed in platoons, and they're subject to the same command and control rules as infantry. Tanks with radios now become very advantageous.

(Further down the page) -->

Most exciting of all, though, is the nature and scope of CM2. It will be an "East Front" game, and it will be huge. "It will cover Barbarossa to Berlin, from the German invasion in June 1941 to the fall of Berlin, with every campaign in between."<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

*WHEW!!!*

Okay, those are the major bullet points and end summary. (Direct quotation, all spelling errors are my own.)

"Now, doesn't that just make your [blank] get hard?!"

:D Must... Buy... CMBB...

Variable battle-length options: Battles can last a few turns beyond the "stated" ending. Furthermore, if victory flahs change hands shortly before the battle is set to end, the battle automatically extends several turns --- the old "end-game-flag-rush" tactic (which was always a bit too "gamey") simply won't work anymore."

This is a good feature. I can not count the amount of times I would hold a position and my opponent would run a vehicle or tank into the flag and take the control and make it neutral thus taking away my victory :(

Gen

Ummm... I can scan some nice pictures of the T-34 and KV-1 from the screenshots, although that could take some time.

(I would need to go out and use somebody's scanner. What a mooch am I. :D)

Hopefully before 9, I can post a copy of the page. (I'll make it a link, as I expect even a .jpg of the entire page will be a large file. Don't worry, I won't leave it as a .bmp! :D)

Hi I/O

I know you mean well, but SuperTed is correct. Quite illegal to do that. PC Gamer owns the copyright and nobody except for them, or people they give explicit permission to, are alowed to copy their materials. It would also be unethical (actually, illegal) for us to allow such a scan to be posted here. This is a private forum and we are not magically exempt from the laws of the country in which we live.

We know that many PC Gamer staff, as well as staff of other magazines, hang out here in lurk mode. They are nice enough to write stuff about CM, so the least we can do is protect their rights.

Thanks,

Steve

P.S. Glad you liked what the article had to say ;)

[ 07-24-2001: Message edited by: Big Time Software ]

Hmmm... seems logical. Sorry folks, didn't want to start any trouble. smile.gif

Question: I cropped the big screenshot of the T-34 tank. Technically, would that be considered the property of BTS, or PC Gamer?

Just wanted to show this image, unless of course that would be illegal. (It's a shame how hard it is to really know what copyright law is these days, all rather confusing... :()

No problem smile.gif

The image, if scanned out of the magazine, is the property of the magazine and not us. They had our permission to reproduce that screenshot, but this does not mean the permission is extended to anybody that puts it on a scanner bed.

Our standard policy is to post all screenshots given to publications about 2 weeks after the magazine hits the store shelves. This short period of exclusivity is our way of thanking/rewarding publications for taking the time and space to expose our products to their reader base. When we get deep into CM testing we will be posting screenshots quite regullarly, so this won't matter as much.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Just wanted to show this image, unless of course that would be illegal. (It's a shame how hard it is to really know what copyright law is these days, all rather confusing... )<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, it is quite simple. You have absolutely no right to reproduce anything you find in print without permission.

However, you are allowed to quote from any printed source provided you do so in extract from and give proper credit to where you got it from. In other words, it is OK to reprint selective quotes in the context of some form of presentation (like a post here on this forum), along with citing the source, but it is illegal to reproduce substantial portions of text, especially if there is no other presentation other than the copyrighted materials. Examples:

Legal - Such and such author, in x source, states "blah, blah, blah". I find this to be rather off the mark and not keeping with etc. etc. etc.

Illegal - Here is the entire first chapter of some book "Once upon a time..."

Well, at least this is how I was taught copyright law at school smile.gif I'm certainly no lawyer though. We have plenty of those already, and not nearly enough wargame developers ;)

Steve

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by I/O Error:

Sorry folks, I kind of assumed somebody else would have an issue. There is no link, to the best of my knowledge. (Print only) They placed it on page 22, so they're pretty excited about it too. (22 out of 136. Nice, huh? :D)

However, here's a list of unveiled details:

(You ****ers owe me for typing all this... :D;))<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What?!? NO screenshots?

[Edited because I just finished reading what BTS had said. I withdraw my query :D]

[ 07-25-2001: Message edited by: YECoyote ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Big Time Software:

No problem smile.gif

The image, if scanned out of the magazine, is the property of the magazine and not us. They had our permission to reproduce that screenshot, but this does not mean the permission is extended to anybody that puts it on a scanner bed.

Our standard policy is to post all screenshots given to publications about 2 weeks after the magazine hits the store shelves. This short period of exclusivity is our way of thanking/rewarding publications for taking the time and space to expose our products to their reader base. When we get deep into CM testing we will be posting screenshots quite regullarly, so this won't matter as much.

Actually, it is quite simple. You have absolutely no right to reproduce anything you find in print without permission.

However, you are allowed to quote from any printed source provided you do so in extract from and give proper credit to where you got it from. In other words, it is OK to reprint selective quotes in the context of some form of presentation (like a post here on this forum), along with citing the source, but it is illegal to reproduce substantial portions of text, especially if there is no other presentation other than the copyrighted materials. Examples:

Legal - Such and such author, in x source, states "blah, blah, blah". I find this to be rather off the mark and not keeping with etc. etc. etc.

Illegal - Here is the entire first chapter of some book "Once upon a time..."

Well, at least this is how I was taught copyright law at school smile.gif I'm certainly no lawyer though. We have plenty of those already, and not nearly enough wargame developers ;)

Steve<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Here are two add ons to copyright. The government cannot hold copyright, so anything done by the government is open season for posting by the citizens of that country as long as you copy it directly from the original document and not from a derivative, and as long as it is not classified. That means any photographs you get from the gobernment are open game.

The second is that works that are substantially derivative of other works may be verbotten. You cann just flip a few words around and post the entire length of the work claiming you have paraphrased it.