Force Differences?

I was wondering if there is any difference between Waffen SS and regular Army or Gerbigsjaeger and Fallschirmjaeger. Are Waffen SS troops less likely to surrender? Or is the only difference the picture, uniform, and squad types. I would appreciate any replies.

Panther G

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> The SS means, essentially, nothing <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Except you paid a bit more and got a nice uniform smile.gif

Oh, and your opponent gets to feel more virtuous when he cooks them with his Crocodile.

I think someone once said SS troops tend to have more panzerfausts, but I've never noticed much difference.

CM doesnt show the difference very much. Apparently they shoot prisoners sometimes but I can't recall seeing it. In real life, they were better equipped and more likely to receive new equipment first. CM should have them as fanatical fighters more often, like automatically without the scenario setting it. That would show the cases where Volksturm ran, and the SS would stay to fight, occasionally shooting the kiddies when they ran by. And weren't the majority of Gebirgsjager in the SS anyways?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by panzerwerfer42:

CM doesnt show the difference very much. Apparently they shoot prisoners sometimes but I can't recall seeing it. In real life, they were better equipped and more likely to receive new equipment first. CM should have them as fanatical fighters more often, like automatically without the scenario setting it. That would show the cases where Volksturm ran, and the SS would stay to fight, occasionally shooting the kiddies when they ran by. And weren't the majority of Gebirgsjager in the SS anyways?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

1) The SS had their share of poor troops as well... particularly in 44-45 (example... the Panzergrenadier Regiments of the 17th SS were made up almost entirely of Russian POWs in January of '45... how fanatical do you think they were?)

2) I highly doubt the Waffen-SS would shoot the Volksturm as they ran by.

3) Most Gebirgsjägers were part of the Herr... not the SS

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by panzerwerfer42:

CM doesnt show the difference very much. Apparently they shoot prisoners sometimes but I can't recall seeing it. In real life, they were better equipped and more likely to receive new equipment first. CM should have them as fanatical fighters more often, like automatically without the scenario setting it. That would show the cases where Volksturm ran, and the SS would stay to fight, occasionally shooting the kiddies when they ran by. And weren't the majority of Gebirgsjager in the SS anyways?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The majority of the Gebirgsjager were Heer (Army) formations. The Waffen-SS did have a few of these division types too.

In regards to shooting prisoners it's pretty much SOL. Why? Here's an example I frequently experience. A 2 story hvy. building with a few battered U.S. squads are being pelted by my Panzergrenadier platoon, a HMG team, and my Tiger IE. After a turn of this and suffering casualties with nowhere to go I noticed a few of the broken squad/teams in there were moving out of the building to surrender(I even saw the CAPTURED label on them. A Bazooka team and 2 survivors from a rifle squad). However, there was still some determined fighters in there and so my troops continued to fire. Unfortunately the surrendering troops got caught in the crossfire as my troops returned fire. The surrendering troops were too close and all got caught up when my HMG team and Tiger's 88 opened simultaneously on the building.

It can happen often with HMGs since anything close to the target point will get pelted too. Same goes with other types of infantry small arms fire.

It's not that I was trying to aim for them, it's just... well, those guys were just SOL.

;)