CMMC Status Briefing - 170201

To: Gaming Public, CMMC Players' list

Distribution: BTS Forum, CMMC Players' List, CMMC Website

RE: CMMC Status Briefing – 17FEB01

This briefing is to bring the public up-to-date on developments and go-forward plans for CMMC. A lot has happened, and a lot more is going to happen. For additional details see our website http://cmhq.tzo.com/cmmc/cmmcfront.htm

1. WHAT IS CMMC?

CMMC (Combat Mission Mega Campaign) is a multiplayer, operational level (battalion and up), role-playing campaign series that utilizes CM for combat resolution. The effort is run by a cadre of GMs (Game Masters) and players are organized into military-style chains of command. CMMC stresses historical details and accurate operational outcomes.

2. CPX.

A selected group of players have been busy planning, resolving and fighting a Command Post eXercise (CPX). The CPX’s objective is to test rules and processes in a small player environment (15 players / side) before leveraging into larger CMMC (50 + players / side).

The experience gained has been essential. A complete “Lessons Learned” Briefing will be issued at the conclusion of the CPX debrief. In addition, the CPX online forums will be opened to the public, so everyone can read at the “archives from the battlefield”. Right now, you can read about the action in the two CMMC newspapers (“The Forward Observer” and “Der Adler”), available at our website.

The CPX was started SEPT 2000, and its projected completion date is mid MAR.

3. COMPUTER TOOLS.

We have two major computer tools that are being developed to support CMMC (and which will have use in other potential multi-player campaigns). These tools are:

3a. COCAT – COCAT is an operational map program that allows users to input unit symbols, locations, waypoints, areas of operations, orientation, TO&E’s, etc. To download this tool, see the website. At some point, COCAT will support user-defined maps.

3b. COMES – COMES is a GM tool for movement, intel, and engagement resolution. User inputs movement and other orders and the tool resolves all of the various unit actions simultaneously, generating an “event log” for all units. This tool is still under development, but will greatly leverage GM time, allowing them to focus on adding creative color instead of worrying about the basic details.

4. CMMC SCENARIO #1.

The first CMMC scenario has been determined and planning is on going. The basic theme is a historically based “what if” that speculates what might have happened if the Germans had retreated after the US breakout at St. Lo instead of counterattacking at Mortain. The basic FOW details are as follows:

a. Time: mid August 1944. Game to last 4 to 5 CMMC days.

b. Forces Involved: UK Corps vs. German Corps (3 to 5 divisions on each side). Both will have armor, but good combined arms ops. will be more important.

c. Area of Operations: Near Seine River, Evreux/Vernon area. Decent tank country, good road network, several rivers. We are using the AUTHENIC 1:50,000 maps that were used in WW2.

d. Objective: Control Evreux & Seine River Crossings.

e. Weather: Clear skies (yes, the 2d TAF will be active …).

f. Players per side: 50 to 60 including all staff positions.

5. PLAYERS.

All players who applied for CMMC and were selected will be invited to join the CMMC #1. They will be contacted shortly and asked to “report” for duty. Those failing to “report” will be placed into a reserve pool.

The 1st step of “in-processing” (getting ready for CMMC) will be establishing roles and responsibilities on your Chain of Command.

If you are interested in getting involved, but have not applied yet, there will be opportunities to get involved. Stay tuned.

6. RULES.

The Version 1.0 rulebook is currently being revised based on rule changes from CPX. The Version 2.0 rulebook will be clearer and better organized with a lot more supporting historical detail. 2.0 rules will be issued to website soon.

7. QUESTIONS?

·Mod Maker Questions: PeterNZ [dynamo@pobox.com]

·Map Maker Questions: Rene Lloyd [rene.lloyd@post2.tele.dk]

·Rule Questions: Stefan Sheckells [s.s.sheckells@verizon.net]

·COCAT Questions: Pål Woje [paaar@online.no]

·GM Questions: James Bailey [jbailey@resolutecapital.com]

·Personnel Questions: Matt Hyra [loyalcitizen@home.com]

Issued 17FEB01

[This message has been edited by James Bailey (edited 02-17-2001).]

MOD MAKERS!

I believe there will be more on this shortly.

Basically, wouldn't it be great to mod CM so that when you play your CMMC battles you get the look and feel of units and terrain involved? Well we think so, so if you're a mod maker and think so to, get in touch and lets talk!

PeterNZ

CMMC helper guy

------------------

"What do I care, I got laid last week" - Chupacabra

"Bjorn again are really quite good!" - Germanboy

[This message has been edited by PeterNZer (edited 02-17-2001).]

I think i can answer a couple of questions here..

Elvis

a .uni file is a unit file that COCAT, the campaign tool generates. It describes unit locations on a map and also info about the unit. Use COCAT to open it.

Michael Dorosh

While technically, as I understand it, the CMMC is full, signup was ages ago and there are bound to be people who will have dropped out or won't respond to a call-up email. Furthmore, when the game gets going some players will have to leave.

So, folks, if you want to join, probably best to mail James and see what is the situation and if you can go on a reserves list smile.gif

PeterNZ

------------------

Please don't email James to enter the CMMC

I am the CMMC Personnel Director and can tell you that indeed the sign up period has been over for 8 months. And we already have a substantial waiting list. No one who is not currently signed up will be able to get in this session. Sorry about that.

Basically, if you don't get email from us, you aren't in. If you think you are in but haven't rec'd anything, then I'm afraid that you're on the waiting list at this point.

Matt Hyra

Hi Matt -

As a confirmed player all that time ago, can you confirm that if were assigned a BN back then that we will also get one when the CMMC starts up? As I read it above from James, the scenario upon which the CMMC is based has been changed. Will be reassigned to a new BN or can I expect to still be commanding the same BN? A quick note from the German and Allied COs to all confirmed players now could clear this up and also help sort out who might have dropped out.

Also, since I had to leave the CPX due to work travel, I have only checked up on it occassionally and this might be a silly question at this point. What ever happened to Lance's CombatCourier?

Finally, COCAT looks like a very useful tool. Any plans to produce a Mac version of this utility or is there an alternative for the Mac users?

[This message has been edited by Goanna (edited 02-18-2001).]

Originally posted by Goanna:

Finally, COCAT looks like a very useful tool. Any plans to produce a Mac version of this utility or is there an alternative for the Mac users?

I've heard rumors of a Mac port, but don't know if any progress has been made. Anybody familiar with Visual Basic/its equivalent on the Mac and willing to undertake a port should probably contact Hawk.

COMES, while not as tricked-out as COCAT, will provide a lot of similar functionality (the eventual goal is for it to be able to read/write COCAT data files), and will be available for the Mac once the PC version stabilizes (and I brush the dust off my Mac development knowledge). If my experience with BASIC was less than about 20 years old, and if I had access to a BASIC environment on the Mac, I might undertake the COCAT port, but my time is too limited to start from scratch. Besides, porting other people's code sucks. wink.gif

------------------

Leland J. Tankersley

Pal (Hawk), the creator of COCAT mentioned that he didn't know any mac programmers, but I did, so I chased one and when he finishes a project he is on now he is going to have a look into it. There's actually two possibles who can get into helping out. This is very good!

I believe Lance's 'combat courier' was dropped in favour of Forums. Not sure the reasons why. Forums seem to work well, as a btn commander you can read your regimments folder only (and a general one, or intel or whatever else is allowed). As, say, a divisional commander/officer you can read all the forums of the regiments under you, and the Corp forum above you. Something like that.

Just thought i'd try and answer the unanswered hehe

PeterNZ

Sorta helper guy

------------------

Originally posted by PeterNZer:

I believe Lance's 'combat courier' was dropped in favour of Forums. Not sure the reasons why.

Reliability problems, mainly. I though CC was a great tool, but it kept going down at inopportune times. Some of that was due to ISP issues I think.

------------------

Leland J. Tankersley

1. All folks looking to join now go on to a 'reserve list'. 'Reserves' will be used to fill vacant active positions as active players (1) go on vacation, (2) get fired, (3) quit.

2. Goanna - you should have received an email from Matt with the "roll call" on it. If not email me at jbailey@resolutecapital.com

3. COCAT into Mac - we hope someone will be able to do this conversion. We have folks in the CPX who are Mac users and they are left hanging and the need only gets greater adding more people.

4. CombatCourier (CC) - CC was drop for a several of reasons. It was a great idea, but we are focusing efforts elsewhere at this point.