Am I Correct?

I would really appreciate it if one of you CM experts would let me know if any of the following statements concerning LOS/LOF is false:

1) Pillboxes and wooden bunkers never block LOS

2) Live vehicles never block LOS

3) Dead vehicles only block LOS if they are burning (the smoke)

4) You can send your troops across friendly LOF and not get them hurt UNLESS they are crossing machine gun LOF whether infantry or vehicle mounted (grazing fire).

5) #4 above may not be true in conditions of poor visibility due to mistaken identity.

Have I got it right?

Treeburst155

Originally posted by Treeburst155:

I would really appreciate it if one of you CM experts would let me know if any of the following statements concerning LOS/LOF is false:

4) You can send your troops across friendly LOF and not get them hurt UNLESS they are crossing machine gun LOF whether infantry or vehicle mounted (grazing fire).

5) #4 above may not be true in conditions of poor visibility due to mistaken identity.

Have I got it right?

Treeburst155

If your infantry rush into a area which is being fired upon by your other sections/squad/halbzug they will take hits from the beaten zones which all small arms fire creates in game.

Originally posted by Mr. Clark:

Okay, I'm joining in...

If your tanks are in a diamond formation, can the back tank take out the front ones by accident?

(I was just recently in a situation that made me worry about that...)

No. Tanks can only hit the tank that they are aiming for. However, if the shot hits the ground, the explosion could immobilize or gun damage nearby tanks.

------------------

Well my skiff's a twenty dollar boat, And I hope to God she stays afloat.

But if somehow my skiff goes down, I'll freeze to death before I drown.

And pray my body will be found, Alaska salmon fishing, boys, Alaska salmon fishing.

-Commercial fishing in Kodiak, Alaska

Originally posted by Mr. Clark:

Okay, I'm joining in...

If your tanks are in a diamond formation, can the back tank take out the front ones by accident?

(I was just recently in a situation that made me worry about that...)

No. A shot which misses the point tank may hit the rear tank though, or bounce off the point tank and kill one of the tanks either side of it, or kill Pte Ball bags when the shell takes off his head. Since in CM once the original target is missed the shell becomes 'live' again.

[This message has been edited by Bastables (edited 01-23-2001).]

Mr. Clark,

I don't believe your back tank can take out the front one by accident UNLESS the round actually falls on the exact location of your front tank. Nothing can interfere with a round in flight except terrain. To hit any vehicle not specifically targetted requires that vehicle to be at the exact location where the round would have impacted the terrain. When two tanks are very close together one could be targetted and the other hit. Unless your lead tank is very close to the target of the rear tank then you are safe.

Treeburst 155

So you're saying all those richochetes (sp?) DO actually land somewhere?

I was also just wondering about this!

(Until now, I have been more of an infantry player...)

BTW, thanks for all the quick replies!

[This message has been edited by Mr. Clark (edited 01-23-2001).]

Damage by accident to other/same target only can happen with HE ammo or with small arms fire... A missed very small blast of an AP round can do some unintended damage where it lands (at least I think...never sow).

"So you're saying all those ricochets (sp?) DO actually land somewhere?"

I think when an AP round exceeded a certain high, the program "eliminates" it.

Originally posted by 109 Gustav:

However, if the shot hits the ground, the explosion could immobilize or gun damage nearby tanks.

LOL. I finished off one of my squads when a zook team took out a Lynx that that squad was close assaulting. It was a catastrophic kill. The explosion killed my two remaining squad members.

------------------

Jeff Abbott

As I understand it ricochets are quite capable of killing. The ricocheting round is calculated to hit some spot and any unit on that spot will be hit. Again, I don't think anything interferes with the flight path except terrain. Units on the impact spot are susceptible but no unit in between can be hurt. Also, I think even shattered rounds can hurt nearby troops (shrapnel effect).

Treeburst155

Originally posted by Dschugaschwili:

I once had a ricochet take out a halftrack. Misses can definitely hit other things.

Dschugaschwili

It was an armor penetration ? (Never sow this)

But, I really think that it was the blast of the missed round that knock out your HT (no armor penetration)

Originally posted by Treeburst155:

Just wanted to point out that to the game engine, pillboxes and bunkers are vehicles.

So they fall in under points 2) and 3).

Cheers

Olle

------------------

Strategy is the art of avoiding a fair fight...