THAT DARNED CAT!!!

*****SPOILSPORT ALERT*******

So I'm playing a 3rd Party operation called "Assault on Guttendorf" (which I opened up and modified a smidgen - allowing the Axis defender to place units freely. Some were padlocked in strange areas.).

It's a great map, and a fun battle. Kudos to the designer (whoever he/she may be). My Canucks have advanced real well but have hit a major sticking point. A King Tiger hanging out in a wheat field, right behind a furiously burning wooden bunker. Definitely a hellacious sight!

I have ended up sending everything I've got at this beast. Started out by popping up one of my fireflies from 900 meters away (hunt/reverse/hunt/reverse). Took a total of 12 shots. 6 hits. Now it's dead (my firefly, that is). Then I added a couple of sextons (hit that darn cat 3 times with sexton AP. No good). Then started dropping 4" arty on it (Buttoned him). Added flanking fire from 3, 75mm Churchills (even the rear hits deflected). Close assaulted with an engineer squad and a rifle squad (now both broken and scattered). Had two PIATS give it a go (both now dead). Then I started getting desperate (stupid). I rushed it with my two remaining fireflys (one of them veteran) and one sherman III. My rush was a tad ill timed, and I lost all three to the bas***d. Oh yeah, a fighter bomber took three passes at it (rockets/bombs/strafing) and managed a Track Hit (no effect). Through all this, said King Tiger has not even moved, except to rotate his hull/turret this way or that.

(I can just see the crew in there, playing chess and humming alehouse tunes while occasionally glancing out a window to check the scenery.)

Ok. So NOW what? I must have scored 20 hits on that sumbeach, and NOTHIN'!

Then the battle ends. Night falls. And now I'm starting the 3rd battle (out of 6) knowing that darned CAT is out there. In the dark. Waiting for me. Unbuttoned.

Yikes.

Help?

[This message has been edited by Gpig (edited 03-12-2001).]

I read an account of a KT being abandoned due to lack of fuel. The soldiers who found it were amazed to see that it had bounced at least 15 76mm rounds. There's nothing like an invulnerable enemy to make you sleep well at night.

Wow, great post. The fun of Combat Mission! I played a Wild Bill Wilder scenario once that had several King Tigers included. They dropped fairly easily to the Allies. I also have seen them take gun hits quite often.

The one you are up against certainly has been lucky and in an operation no less. Sounds like you are having a fun time trying to knock out that beast.

I have had good results from rear shots from infantry carried ATW. Good luck with your next battle!

Originally posted by Kitty:

Dastardly? He? Babs? =/

Yep, both fine descriptors of Babs! smile.gif

GPig, as for the tracked-Kitty, try to manuever behind the KT you can, using closer cooperation b/w your AFVs and infantry (infantry can shield your AFVs from nasty surprises).

Mace