How to switch from PBEM to TCP/IP?

When it is your turn to "plot" a PBEM turn after plotting "save" the game...then when you go to play the TCP/IP game open the "saved" game (NOT the PBEM file) and you will be prompted toselect between PBEM, Hotseat and TCP/IP. Select TCP/IP and you are off.

Things to rememeber you can only save a PBEM game when you are in the plot phase. If all you have is a movie file you can't save it so you either have to wait to get te file back or have your opponant do it.

The saved game file (in case you don't know this already) will be found with the scenarios not in the PBEM folder. So you open it like when you start a scenario or QB ..just select the saved game.

I have read that people have problems playing TCP/IP. If so why are people still playing that way? I am interested because I would like to play that way in the future and wanted to confirm if there is a problem finishing a game like I've heard there is. That would not be fun. Just when you are about to kill your enemy it crashes!

First, anything running over the net is subject to the occasional crash due to minor technical difficulties.

There is clearly a file-corrupting ding-crash bug out there, the causes have not been identified. In all likelyhood, this issue is currently being revisited in CM2 and when solved the fix can be made in CM without too much trouble.

The best that TCP play has been described is that if PBEM is like coffee, TCP is like crack. Instant and in your face. You might never want to go back. It is by far the superior way to play.

WWB

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lcm1947:

I have read that people have problems playing TCP/IP. If so why are people still playing that way? I am interested because I would like to play that way in the future and wanted to confirm if there is a problem finishing a game like I've heard there is. That would not be fun. Just when you are about to kill your enemy it crashes!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have played about 10 TCP/IP games

with only one crash. After the crash,

I just went in and loaded the autosaved

game; a few seconds later my opponent

reconnected and we hadn't lost any

moves of the game. It was perfect.

--Rett

[ 07-01-2001: Message edited by: CMplayer ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Elvis:

TCP/IP is a whole different game. It brings CM to the level that I believe it was designed for.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

One of the cool things about it is that

the time limit on plotting orders brings

back that stressful feeling from CC.

(remember the slogan "it takes guts to

think under pressure"?)

I thought I was about to have a stroke

during my last game; I had to get up

and walk around away from the computer

to calm down. It was just soooo tense,

at 800 pts with 5 minutes plotting time.

--Rett