CM2 FAQ - All You Wanted to Know but Were Afraid to Ask

BDW, wow - an old face from the distant past smile.gif

I think the main difference between then and now (and I have been around here before the UBB days myself) is the massive amount of people participating. There is just a limit as to how useful such discussions are with so many people involved. (A lot of that is going on in the beta forums, though).

And another reason, just as true: as the engine was being written for CMBO, a lot more was possible in terms of "features". With CMBB being a sequel, there are more limitations to that, which often few people besides those familiar with the engine to some extent can understand. There already ARE a lot of features in CMBB, many of which have been discussed here already and never made CMBO.

And lastly, CMBB has been largely finished from the design point of view for some time now. The main work remains to put all of the new gadgets in, not something which needs much outside feedback.

Anyway, just my view on what I think is going on behind the scenes smile.gif

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by BDW:

I remember when this board was first started up (pre-UltimateBB). It was all about open discussion of the features that were going into the game. Whenever Steve and Charles had the time, they gave us info on new features and tried to answer our questions/fears. I did not envy them - we gave them A LOT of grief!

I liked the board back then. Which is why I find Maddmatt's little "teasers" so annoying and unhelpful. To Matt: If you are going to take the time to post, give us some actual information. New information on the game stirs debates and some great ideas come from such debates. I always thought of it as a check and balance on for Steve and Charles, who learned a lot from the debates the first time around - even if they got sucked into defending their positions for days at a time. The cool thing was that they lost some of these arguments and changed some game features based on the posts.

These "teaser posts" go against what I thought a big part of Big Time was about: staying in touch with the players. This teaser stuff feels like Big Time is purposefully trying to keep the players out of the loop. This is in stark contrast to the way it used to be in the beginning, and I don't think it is intended.

i.e. Matt, in honor of the CMBO development process, if you know what the feature/fix is going to be, then tell us about it!

...please? smile.gif <hr></blockquote>

didja see the mega bones? lots of new hard info on cmbb

Moon - Nice to see you are still around. You are probably right re: # of people etc.

However, I still do not understand the purpose of keeping secrets from all the loyal fans of the game - even if it is too late for us to make a meaningful contribution. My point: Is there anything wrong with us knowing, for exmaple, how CMBB will handle rubble?

Why all the "secrets" ??? It feels like the old grade school game: "I know something YOU don't know and I'm not gonnnnnna telllllll youuuuuuu!" smile.gif

Can anyone explain this shroud of secrecy?

...Matt?

Thanks for the FAQ's. Yes some "neo-phytes" still read the site. I guess I'll participate in the bumping.

Can someone tell me what the System Requirements are? I've got a quickly aging PIII 450Mhz. machine with 256MB RAM and a 32MB Graphics Card. I think this should be sufficient, but would like confirmation.

Appreciate the information.

Fowler