Poll: Newcomers, where do you get to know CM?

A friend I used to fly with/against in Air Warrior pointed me in the direction of the demo back in mid-December. As soon as I could pry myself away from the demo, I ordered the full game.

PC Gamer. Been looking for something like this for years.

Played Tactics II back in the early 60s, then Stalingrad et. al. in the late 60s, early 70s. A break then until SL in the early 80s, then ASL for a bit. It's tough to find the time and partners for ASL but until CM, I hadn't found anything with close to the richness of the feature set to substitute for it.

------------------

Air Defense: Shoot 'em down, sort 'em out on the ground (AKA - if it flies, it dies)

In order to bump this thread a bit...

I read about the project when AH and BTS jointed to develop "Beyond Squad Leader" from Computer Games Online (I think it was still Computer Games Strategy Plus). I read the early form of CMBO site (which still just one page) discusing why the tanks were not really 1:1 scaled in order to present individual infantry squad better. I think, "hey this game is nbd." ( yes, I really did! biggrin.gif ) Anyway, I signed up for the email notificaiton list. I put it aside until the Finon's infamous "Alpha AAR" was posted. I read it through and though "WOW!". I began to read the Forum reguarly ( the background was still black at that time).

Well, the rest is, you know: Beta Demo, 1st PBEM, demanding the Gold Demo, Gold Demo, more PBEM, demanding the Real One, waiting for the Arrival, the Real One installed, more PBEM, then TCP/IP patch, and so on...

Griffin.

------------------

"When you find your PBEM opportents too hard to beat, there is always the AI."

"Can't get enough Tank?"

[This message has been edited by GriffinCheng+ (edited 03-07-2001).]

I was looking for a new game and I was actually thinking about buying Close Combat (Whatever the new one is I forgot now). I had never played any of the Close Combat games prior to this.

I was reading reviews over at Amazon, trying to decide whether to get it or not. Anyway, one of the reviewers said that it wasn't very accurate and the company really didn't support their product well. It said this game was better and the developers loved what they did more. So I came here, read the manifesto, downloaded the game, and well the rest is history.

I'm not a wargamer, I like strategy games. I was looking for another starcraft and I ended up with this. Thank you!!! This fits the bill quite well and I've since started reading material and learning true military tactics simply because I want to get better at this game.

B

Somebody told me it was an add-on to The Sims.

That or it was a sneak preview in the now defunct french magazine about computer wargames named CyberStrateges.

------------------

You are not Obsessive-CMpulsive, you are Allied-Retentive.

Mark IV

Saw a post on usenet about "The Ardennes Offensive" new free version. Downloaded it.

Saw a post about Steel Panthers World at War, new free version. Downloaded it. Played it a lot.

Subscribed to comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical.

Saw a refence there to the upcoming "Combat Mission". Came here. Lurked until my computer died and I could get a new one with the horsepower to run CM. Downloaded Demo. Waited until CM was back in stock.

Now kicking butt in France...

In a flurry of browsing and down loading demo's I stumbled across BTS. I can only say that I am pissed at all of you for not telling me about this sooner! smile.gif Who's job is it anyway to notify the village idiots? We do represent a significant portion of the minority population you know.

------------------

Winning is why we play!

I became dimly aware of CM through some gaming magazine which had a snapshot of the graphics which I honestly didn't think were all that great. I lost interest. Then I started to hear about how great the game was on one of the Usenet groups (Alt.wargaming?) so I went cruising websites for more info. I bought CM in November and feel like an **idiot** for needlessly depriving myself. I haven't played ANY other games since November - and I own 50+ games. Total addiction.

------------------

Read me back my last line!

I've been a computer wargamer since "War in Russia" and "Kampfgruppe" and "Battle Group". Played on the Apple IIe in the beginning.

When I came across this (CMBO) I was ecstatic. Computer wargames have evolved!!!

And I like it. I'm looking forward to CM2!

I read Trotter's column about it in PC Gamer...and then....I either read the review in PC Gamer and then downloaded the demo or I just downloaded the demo and then saw the review. Either way it just didnt seem to do it for me and I ended up uninstalling it. And then 4 months later, out of the blue I decided to download it again and I felt I had a better grasp of what was going on and I loved it!

Originally posted by ex PFC Wintergreen:

I bought CM in November...I haven't played ANY other games since November - and I own 50+ games. Total addiction.

Indeed, this is what separates CM from my game addictions from previous years. They lasted a few months each, at most, and I continued to play other games during that time.

But with CM...I tried to boot up some action games, just to break the cycle. It didn't work. Let's just say my stack of CDs hasn't moved in six months.

And to answer the original question, I read the review in Computer Gaming World. Been looking for a game like this (realistic 3-D tactical combat) for a long time, ever since I first played X-Com. The fact that it was WWII didn't mean much at the time, I would have settled for a beefed-up Incubation. But now I have the wonderful bonus of almost total realism, and a much higher appreciation for one of the most significant periods in human history.

And a lot of respect for our veterans.

[This message has been edited by Binkie (edited 03-09-2001).]