Looks like someone has been watching CM playing system

Just read this at voodooextreme

Laser Squad Nemesis 12:12 AM (your time) - Manveer "Eidolon" Heir - Games: Turn-Based Strategy - (3)

Since their most recent game (The Dreamland Chronicles: Freedom Ridge) was canned by Virgin Interactive, Mythos Games, the guys behind the original X-Com, are working on an e-mail version of their game Laser Squad. Here's what Julian, pimp-daddy behind Mythos, had to say:

Our new game will be an email version of Laser Squad, called "Laser Squad Nemesis". This game will be available directly from our new company - Co Do Games. You only need to pay a small subscription for unlimited play.

key features of the game are:

(1) A new 2-player turn-based system in which both players issue orders and then watch them execute simultaneously.

(2) A choice of three factions - space marines, droids or aliens.

(3) A very large variety of maps and scenario types.

(4) A World league system, allowing you to challenge other players around the world.

We will making further announcements concerning the Laser Squad Development Club, which will allow you to support the development of the game financially in return for a long term subscription, and a chance to help develop the game through our beta testing programme.

You bunch of miserable vultures, Laser Squad was around in the 1980s. I had it for the Atari.

It pre-dates X-Com by nearly a decade. A truly excellent two player game if I remember correctly.

One player would defend and the other attack. Weapons included standard laser guns and massive rocket launchers. Ah those were the days.

See, I could take all the rest of this lying down...but ya darn dirty devils went and struck a real, live nerve.

CM "Greatest Tactical Wargame of All Time ©(sm)" is nothing more than a baldfaced, prettied-up RIPOFF of "Computer Ambush" by SSI with MP cobbled on as an afterthought. Breach? HAH! Played I, II, AND III (designed an entire "Predator" campaign for II). Laser Squad...uh, sure. Even the great Amiga shareware Battletech simulator by the nigh-immortal Ralph Reed (why he ever pulled the forts is beyond me). No not ONE was equal to the sheer joy of CA's "we-go" system. As I have posted here before, I once MELTED a C64 (I do not exaggerate) playing this paen to the grunts of WWII...fighting as they were over the PETSCII map of the same, blasted French Village...my GAWD that was a game.

It is the highest honor I can bestow upon CM to say it stands proudly on CA's shoulders.

...man, I've playing these fool games too long...

God Bless,

Jim

------------------

"Watching others make friends, as a dog makes friends. I mark the manner of these canine courtesies and say, 'Thank God, here comes another enemy'" -- Rostand