1 Tiger + 1 Tiger = 2 Tigers?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pvt. Ryan:

One of my bazooka teams took out two Tigers. Instead of showing 2 Tigers killed it shows 1 Tiger and 1 Tiger. What's up with that?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Couldn't the Tigers be of different model, one being a Late one?

[ 09-07-2001: Message edited by: argie ]

The two Tiger kills came in two different places. This zook team was in the middle defending a road that came down the center of the map through heavy trees. It was really the only way to advance armor up the center. This team took out the first Tiger with two shots. If the zook didn't get the Tiger one of the nearby infantry's rifle grenades would have.

I had another zook team on my left flank guarding a narrow passage that was the only opening on the left. The second Tiger advanced and that team fired all it's rounds except one at the Tiger with several hits, but no damage. Then I ran the first zook team, the one with the kill, over to the left to lend his expertise. The Tiger was preoccupied with the other team that still had one round. Meanwhile, I crawled the other team into the woods and had him set up while the Tiger was blasting the used up team. The second team fired a couple of rounds and took out the second Tiger. I was mighty lucky since my only armor, an M36 Jackson, died early on without firing a shot. The Tigers really never had a chance of advancing with their infantry because of all the trees. At least that's how I remember things. Sometimes your memory gets a little fuzzy trying to remember what happened in combat.

Soldiers,

Technically it should read:

Tiger X2

As 1 Tiger + 1 Tiger = 2 Tiger squard. or in this case Tiger to the power of 2X2. Which really means that your zook team ACTUALLY baged himself 4 to the power of 2 Tigers. Thats 16 tigers! That zook team should be retired and given one hell of a healthy pension! ;)

No, it was PBEM. But there were a lot of trees and his infantry couldn't see through to identify all my forces. If he had seen the map he probably wouldn't have bought the Tigers. There was really no way to utilize the Tigers without pushing them through those narrow passages. And because so many points were spent on the Tigers he didn't have enough infantry to protect them and engage my infantry. There was a huge hill that dominated the map from which he could have ruled the battlefield if it weren't for all those trees. I thought the game was over when I saw two Tigers and lost my only armor so early on. It just goes to show you that armor does not rule the field if the terrain is not right.

Hopefully Pvt. Ryan you won't mind me throwing something in here but it does pertain to Tigers. I recently saw a picture of the improved Tiger and it sure is a shame that the game doesn't model as far as the actual appearence more accurately. It looked quite different then what's in the game. Half Panther half Tiger tank. Really a great looking tank.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lcm1947:

It looked quite different then what's in the game. Half Panther half Tiger tank. Really a great looking tank.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're not talking about Tiger II aka King Tiger, are you? Cause those are in the game...

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rexford:

Can a hit by a rifle grenade penetrate the Tiger side 60mm or 80mm?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Perhaps not, but a whole platoon was targeting it. Maybe that represented a close assault. In any case, that Tiger was toast.

What I am calling an improved Tiger is referred in this book as "Tiger" ( Redesigned). It's not the "King Tiger" or "Royal Tiger". In looking at it closer the hull does differ from the Pz.Kpfw. VI or Tiger as it's normaly called. It's actually the Pz. Kpfw. and weighted 75 tons just like the King Tiger. Oh this probably is what you are talking about David but looking at the specs it's quite different from the specs for the King Tiger however.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lcm1947:

What I am calling an improved Tiger is referred in this book as "Tiger" ( Redesigned). It's not the "King Tiger" or "Royal Tiger". In looking at it closer the hull does differ from the Pz.Kpfw. VI or Tiger as it's normaly called. It's actually the Pz. Kpfw. and weighted 75 tons just like the King Tiger. Oh this probably is what you are talking about David but looking at the specs it's quite different from the specs for the King Tiger however.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

first, the designation "King Tiger" is wrong in itself since the german tanks were named after animal (sub)species, hence the Königstiger, Panthera tigris tigris, translates into Bengal Tiger in English since there is no animal subspecies with the name King Tiger or Royal Tiger in English.

second, "Pz.Kpfw." as the abbreviation for Panzerkampfwagen is a generic name literally meaning "armor combat vehicle", a german generic name in the same meaning as Battle Tank, Tank or MBT. In other words, it refers to any tank from the Pz.Kpfw. I to the Pz.Kpfw. VI.

third, the "Königstiger mit Porscheturm" *is* indeed modeled in CMBO but only in the early months of the game; unfortunately it uses the regular Königstiger graphics model with the ugly Krupp turret.

fourth, there were numerous improvement projects pertaining to the Tiger, therefore it is unclear to what that book might be referring to with the unspecific term "Tiger (Redesigned)". There were numerous efforts to improve upon the basic Tiger, which among others included the mounting of the 8,8cm KwK 43 L/71, the 8,8cm FlaK 41 L/71 and even a complete new design of an 8,8cm L/100 gun. All the improvement projects re. the Tiger eventually led to the Tiger II or Königstiger which we are all familiar with.

Maybe with the specific mention of a planned weight of 75 tons it is referring to the planned E-75 project of a MBT in the 75-ton class. However, both the E-50 and the E-75 were based on the Königstiger, and not the Tiger.

[ 09-09-2001: Message edited by: M Hofbauer ]

How much armor thickness can a rifle grenade penetrate?

Can a hit by a rifle grenade penetrate the Tiger side 60mm or 80mm?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If the real rifle grenades had been anywhere near as effective as they are in CMBO, then the germans would have never bothered to develop the Panzerfaust, since in RealLife their rifle grenade types were at least comparable to the american rifle grenade models (if not better) which we have come to fear in the game.

[ 09-09-2001: Message edited by: M Hofbauer ]

From my reading of G Forty's "German Tanks of WW2" there were efforts to create a PantherII/PantherF. These designs were studied at the same time as TigerII (or King Tiger, whichever name you prefer) was on the boards. The TigerII made it, none of the Panther developments reached full production.

These two designs had a lot in common in an effort to ease strain on Germany's already failing industrial base. It's possible that, at some point, large components of one were combined with large components of the other for testing or similar reasons.

EG: the new turret design for Panther was called "Schmallturm" (literally "small turret") and had more in common,shape-wise, with the Krupp turret of KT than with Panther's regular turret. Apparently the hull etc for the new Panther lagged behind the turret, so maybe the Schmallturm was mounted on a KT hull for testing?

DjB

[ 09-09-2001: Message edited by: Doug Beman ]

Guest PondScum

How much armor thickness can a rifle grenade penetrate?

CMBO rifle grenade penetration has been quoted as 60mm@0 degrees, and tested to penetrate 51mm@40 and 30mm@60, but failed to penetrate 54mm@45, 45mm@55, and 51mm@60 (thanks to Chris Hare for this).

In other words, I wouldn't rely on them to take out a Tiger in CMBO - you'd need the perfect angle on its lower side hull armor...

Originally posted by PondScum:

CMBO rifle grenade penetration has been quoted as 60mm@0 degrees, and tested to penetrate 51mm@40 and 30mm@60, but failed to penetrate 54mm@45, 45mm@55, and 51mm@60 (thanks to Chris Hare for this).

What figures do WW II sources give for U.S. rifle grenade penetration?