An odd occurrence?

Hello everyone. I read a while ago about how sometimes a round fired from a tank will pass through a house and strike it's target on the other side. The reason for this, as I understand it, is that the target passes behind an object after the engine has already determined if the shot will be a hit.

Well, here's a question for you. Does the same thing happen if the shot turns out to be a miss? What I mean is, does the shell still pass through the house even if it does not end up striking it's target?

I ask this because I had a similar experience the other day when I had a Tiger targeting a moving Sherman on a ridge about 300 meters away. The Sherm passed behind a house about 50 meters away from me, then the Tiger fires, obliterating the house and one of my squads inside! :eek:

Is this a common thing, or a freak occurrence? I suspected that the shell would just pass through the house as it does on a hit, but maybe I'm missing something. Either way, it was pretty awesome.

There are occasions where rounds that are fired with LOS through a house hit the house. Bad news if the house was directly in front of the shooter and it was a HE or HEAT round.

Both observations may be related, i.e. the wrong "I can shoot through" assumption may come from a vehicle that is moving the way you describe. I cannot remember if my units in that case were shooting on targets moving like this.

But on the other hand, units blowing themself up are one of the most enjoying things in CMBO, I would surely miss it if that was a bug and fixed...

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by redwolf:

But on the other hand, units blowing themself up are one of the most enjoying things in CMBO, I would surely miss it if that was a bug and fixed...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In a pbem my opponent had a 75mm equipped HT blow itself up at the beginning of the game, but he thought a hidden AT gun took it out. He spent the whole game trying to figure out where that shot came from....it crimped his movements so much that by sneaking around he came into sight of the real ordnance.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Herr Oberst:

Tibor, the missed shot at the Sherman was obviously because he hit the building in front of him instead...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, I realize that. I just thought since targeted shots that hit go through houses, a missed shot would go through the house and either hit the ground in front of the target, or fly off the map.

Well I would suppose that if a shell hit the house it would explode, I mean why wouldn't it? As far as a shell pasting thur a house I don't know if that's the case every time in fact I had a shell hit a house destroying it completely and then continuing on to knock out the enemy tank that was pasting behind it. This was not too long ago and I mentioned it in another topic. So with your experience it seems either could happen. I really did think it was great course it didn't happen to me. :D

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CMplayer:

In a pbem my opponent had a 75mm equipped HT blow itself up at the beginning of the game, but he thought a hidden AT gun took it out. He spent the whole game trying to figure out where that shot came from....it crimped his movements so much that by sneaking around he came into sight of the real ordnance.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Heh heh, that's always amusing. My most memorable "blow myself up" bit occurred during a night battle. The auto purchase had picked a Hummel for me (ugh) along with an infantry company. I had the Hummel sit back a ways with a rifle squad and MG team as support a little ways in front of the Hummel.

Out of nowhere, a Brit rifle platoon(?) shows up and a hellish fire-fight ensues. The Hummel, deciding he wants in on the action, turns a few degrees to the left and fires..

Keep in mind, the units were fairly close together when this happens. The results; 1 KO'ed Hummel, 1 dead MG team, 3 casualties to my backup squad, and a routed Brit squad.

I began to rethink my group 'em close together at night doctrine from then on.

:D

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tiborhead:

Yeah, I realize that. I just thought since targeted shots that hit go through houses, a missed shot would go through the house and either hit the ground in front of the target, or fly off the map.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, I don't think that's how it works.

To the best of my knowledge, this is how it goes: Tank fires at enemy tank and at that point CM rolls the dice to see if it hits. If it does, the shell animation flies to the enemy tank and strikes it, ignoring anything and everything that may happen to be in the way. A hit is alway a hit. If the shot misses, then CM plots a semi-random path for the shell so that it will fly near (usually) to the targeted vehicle, but will not hit it. In this case it will not go through intervening terrain/buildings because it doesn't have to get to the enemy tank like it does on a hit. So anything it happens to hit is SOL.

[ 10-19-2001: Message edited by: Vanir Ausf B ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Vanir Ausf B:

No, I don't think that's how it works.

To the best of my knowledge, this is how it goes: Tank fires at enemy tank and at that point CM rolls the dice to see if it hits. If it does, the shell animation flies to the enemy tank and strikes it, ignoring anything and everything that may happen to be in the way. A hit is alway a hit. If the shot misses, then CM plots a semi-random path for the shell so that it will fly near (usually) to the targeted vehicle, but will not hit it. In this case it will not go through intervening terrain/buildings because it doesn't have to get to the enemy tank like it does on a hit. So anything it happens to hit is SOL.

[ 10-19-2001: Message edited by: Vanir Ausf B ]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, I suppose that makes the most sense. Now that I think about it, it's not really all that odd. That's the way it should happen. Now the shell flying through the house, that's another story.

Still, I can't help but feel sorry for the fellas in the house when the shell hit. They just made a successful counter thrust to retake the center of town, the next they know, they're blown to hell by their own armor support.

Poor bastards. :(