How Do I ACTUALLY Upgrade to v1.1?

After going through the BTS v1.1 announcement, this wasn't covered. Since I'm certain there are people here that have never done an upgrade while in the middle of a PBEM game (and are worried about losing data), let me ask the question for all of us.

How do I upgrade from v1.05 to v1.1? Anything special?

Thanks in advance!

------------------

Doc

God Bless Chesty Puller, Wherever He Is!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jarmo:

Open game in 1.05.

Save game.

Open the saved game in 1.1

Continue playing.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm assuming that the v1.1 d/l is the entire engine, and not a patch upgrade? Then, what you said makes sense. Am I off the mark?

Oh, thanks again!

------------------

Doc

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dr. Brian:

I'm assuming that the v1.1 d/l is the entire engine, and not a patch upgrade? Then, what you said makes sense. Am I off the mark?

Oh, thanks again!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

WHOOPS, DISREGARD! DIDN'T KNOW FINAL V1.1 PATCH WAS RELEASED. eek.gif

The Beta Patches do not, repeat, DO NOT overwrite anything. They create an entirely new executable and add a couple of more folders essential for TCP/IP play. The v1.05 executable is still available, so either version can still be played. But if you use shorcuts on your desktop, like any sensible man would, you'll want to create another shortcut for the Beta executable. Because if you don't, your old shortcut still "points" to the v1.05 executable.

[This message has been edited by Maximus (edited 01-10-2001).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jeff Heidman:

Uhhh, Maximus?

I think we are talking about version 1.1 non-beta. Presumably it does not have a seperate exe since it is not a beta.

Jeff<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What I want to know is will 1.1 overwrite 1.05? It probably will not overwrite the beta since the beta was a separate executable. However, for all the previous patches, the then current executable was overwritten.

*CAUTION - I HAVE NOT TESTED WHAT I'M GOING TO SAY, BUT...* I'm thinking that once you install 1.1, 1.05 will no longer be since it will be overwritten. So any PBEM games you have going now you need to open with 1.05, save it with 1.05, then install 1.1, open your saved PBEM game with 1.1 and continue on your merry way. But you have to do all your saves with 1.05 before you install 1.1.

At least, that was the procedure when we went from 1.0 to 1.02 (or was it 1.02 to 1.03?).

------------------

Jeff Abbott

Gang,

I really really appreciate the help, but I'm more confused now.

With just version 1.05 (no beta), what would I need to do, after I d/l v 1.1.

(Please note, I have a game in progress.)

Thanks in advance!

------------------

Doc

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Juardis:

*CAUTION - I HAVE NOT TESTED WHAT I'M GOING TO SAY, BUT...* I'm thinking that once you install 1.1, 1.05 will no longer be since it will be overwritten. So any PBEM games you have going now you need to open with 1.05, save it with 1.05, then install 1.1, open your saved PBEM game with 1.1 and continue on your merry way. But you have to do all your saves with 1.05 before you install 1.1.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Boy, am I confused: why the hell would you need to open a file you previously saved with 1.05 and save it again with 1.05 before opening it with 1.1? People keep repeating this and it doesn't make sense to me.If i were playing a game with 1.05, presumably it would be saved already with 1.05...

Besides, who is still playing with 1.05? Everyone I know is playing with 1.1b24!

So can someone knowledgeable le please clear up this confusion and tell us what we need to do if we are playing pbem files with 1.1b24? My guess is that it is nothing except replacing the executable, but I would like to be sure...

Henri

IIRC, just fire up v1.05, load a PBeM file, Use the SAVE GAME feature and save it as any 1 player save game.

Next, fire up v 1.1, Load the Saved game, take your turn as normal, and then at the end it will save as a PBeM (as normal).

This won't work with a movie only file, has to be a turn where you give orders... (once again IIRC.)

There should be no need to go through a save process to simply play a single player saved game when switching versions... I'm 85% sure it only applies to PBeM games in progress.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Henri:

Besides, who is still playing with 1.05? Everyone I know is playing with 1.1b24!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Henri,

I AM!!!

Confused, confused. frown.gif

Brain overload, alert!

------------------

Doc

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mr. Clark:

IIRC, just fire up v1.05, load a PBeM file, Use the SAVE GAME feature and save it as any 1 player save game.

Next, fire up v 1.1, Load the Saved game, take your turn as normal, and then at the end it will save as a PBeM (as normal).

This won't work with a movie only file, has to be a turn where you give orders... (once again IIRC.)

There should be no need to go through a save process to simply play a single player saved game when switching versions... I'm 85% sure it only applies to PBeM games in progress.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ok but how do you "fire up 1.05" when the 1.1 install overwrites the 1.05 .exe? =/

Kitty

------------------

Hamsters at War!

Chicks With Tanks

Lorak's FTX

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kitty:

Ok but how do you "fire up 1.05" when the 1.1 install overwrites the 1.05 .exe? =/

Kitty

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you want to keep your 1.05 exe you will have to rename it to something like "Combat Missions 1.05" and start that instead.

I am not certain what the 1.1 patch changes, but if it is like the previous non-beta patches, you should be able to jsut fire up the old executable.

Jeff Heidman

if you notice, all your PBEM games are text files (filename.txt). By hitting alt-s (save game), you save that game to your save game directory as a .cmb file (filename.cmb). You have to do this with 1.05. If you try to load a 1.05 PBEM game (the .txt file) in 1.1, it may not work (I don't know, I never tried with the beta). You have to convert it to a .cmb file. Once it is a .cmb file, it looks like any other scenario. And just like the scenarios that came on the cd, you can play those with any version you want.

Got it?

------------------

Jeff Abbott

[This message has been edited by Juardis (edited 01-10-2001).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jeff Heidman:

If you want to keep your 1.05 exe you will have to rename it to something like "Combat Missions 1.05" and start that instead.

I am not certain what the 1.1 patch changes, but if it is like the previous non-beta patches, you should be able to jsut fire up the old executable.

Jeff Heidman

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The renaming thing makes sense, unfortunately in my haste to install the new version I didn't consider that the old exe would be overwritten (I just looked in my CMBO dir and there's only 2 exe files, 1.1 and the last beta) so now what? =/ Tried installing a second copy of CM from the CD w/intentions of patching that one to 1.05 but it won't let me select the directory/drive to install it to.

If I install the 1.05 patch over 1.1 would that work?

Kitty

------------------

Hamsters at War!

Chicks With Tanks

Lorak's FTX

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kitty:

so now what? Kitty

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yo kitty. Overwriting 1.05 should only matter with PBEM games. Have your opponent resend the last move AFTER they upgrade it 1.1. That should do it. If you're playing single player, then it should not matter that you overwrote 1.05. Just open with 1.1 and play. Good luck.

------------------

Jeff Abbott

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by noah:

please help me... what is the difference between the game tacops and the game combat command please write back...!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jeez, how many places you gonna ask this?

Tacops is from Big Time Software.

Combat Command is from Shrapnel Games.

You are posting (without a return e-mail address, by the way) on the Combat Mission board, which is yet another game by Big Time Software.

Okay,

I've d/l'd the upgrade file. When I open up the self-extracting archive, what will happen? Will it overwrite my existing v1.05?

But more importantly, will I be able to play my existing v1.05 PBEM games that are still underway, or do I have to do some other hocus pocus install?

Not very clear on this, since there was no read me file without doing the self extraction (i.e., I don't want to open the upgrade since it may overwrite everything and then my existing PBEM game is screwed).

Thanks in advance!

------------------

Doc

One more time, with feeling this time smile.gif.

1. Make a copy of your current 1.05 executable. Call it Combat Mission 105.exe or something like that.

2. Install the 1.1 patch. This will overwrite the Combat Mission.exe file.

3. You should now have 2 executables. Combat Mission 105.exe and Combat Mission.exe.

4. Any PBEM game you wish to continue with 1.05, simply use Combat Mission 105.exe.

5. Any 1.05 PBEM game you wish to convert to 1.1, you open it with Combat Mission 105.exe, save it (alt-s on the PC), then open it with Combat Mission.exe (the 1.1 patch). Continue as before.

Good luck

------------------

Jeff Abbott