What I would like to see in CMBB

Moyle

I don't want much, I just want to see two things:

1)allow medium and light MG's to run. I know they are support units, but I've seen plenty of videos on the History Channel of dudes, w/ MG's, runnin'. It sucks waiting to assault b/c your mg's are half the map away.

2) give bazooka and other crews a few self defense weapons. I was lead to believe that a bazooka team had carbines as well. I might be wrong, and please correct me if I am.

That's it. those are the only improvements I can think of to an otherwise perfect game...

Originally posted by Moyle:

[QB]I don't want much, I just want to see two things:

1)allow medium and light MG's to run. I know they are support units, but I've seen plenty of videos on the History Channel of dudes, w/ MG's, runnin'. It sucks waiting to assault b/c your mg's are half the map away.

----------------------------------------------

Here we go again

This topic has been brought up almost as many times as your member number.

The reason they cannot run is because a MG team has several men carrying large amounts of ammo, that weighs alot. The MG itself is not all that heavy, but if the man with MG ran of to a better position would soon find himself out of ammo.

If you can get the search to work there are so many threads on this, and will explain it in more detail. Although pretty much the same thing will be said.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Shatter:

The reason they cannot run is because a MG team has several men carrying large amounts of ammo, that weighs alot. The MG itself is not all that heavy, but if the man with MG ran of to a better position would soon find himself out of ammo.

[/QB]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't know if this came up before (probably has, the way this has been discussed), but wouldn't if be possible to have MG's be able to run after they burn up a certain amount of their ammo. Or as soon as their ammo is 'low.'

Guess it wouldn't have a lot of tactical value anymore after they run low on ammo, but one would be able to withdraw them a bit more easy, after they have outlived their uselfullness. Seems realistic...

What I think should be the case with MG teams is they should have the abilty to short range sprint.

It is possible to run with a heavy load (even another person) for a short distance. I'm of the opinion that MG's should remain as slow as they are at an operational level but should be able to move quickly for very short periods of time. Maybe a dash of about 50 metres or so.

Now I wasn't in WWII either, but I'm almost positive that zook teams were considered soldiers first and bazookas next. So they would have rifles...I've also read plenty of novels and source books to support it. This also applies for mortars, and other support weapons excluding MGs. Plz correct me if I'm wrong.

Not that it's a big deal but I hope somebody that knows would answer the question about Bazooka teams carrying rifles/carbines or pistols. Just a point of interest. It may be that the guy that actually carried the bazooka had a pistol and the other team member carried a rifle/carbine? Anybody know?

OK guys, first off I agree that MG teams should be able to do a short sprint, sort of like the bazookas/Shrecks/Piats. In fact as my earlier name Shatter50 I brought up this very same issue in another thread over a year ago. BTS stated that the MG team slow moving ability was an abstraction of men moving an MG to a position, then ammo carriers going back to bring up the rest of the ammo from the previous position the MG was at. This was often done by MG teams in WWII. This example is the explantion is why the LMG42 is faster moving than the HMG42.

Same for the M1919 MMG to the M1917 HMG, as

for the M2 50 cal HMG much larger heavy weapon as well as the ammo much heavier as to.

As for the Zooks/Shreck/Piat teams I am not really sure of that. I will try some searching to come up with an answer.

Shatter

Exactly! I was under the impression from various sources I've read (at work right now, don't have access to them) that the assistant gunner for a MG42 (or MG34) would usually be armed with either a MP38 or MP40 to discourage "gamey" rushes against the MG smile.gif Also with a HMG42 unit the other 4 members of the unit should have a few K98s and a SMG or two. I believe that the crew served weapon crews were not given secondary weapons due to the coding problems it would have caused (LMG42 unit with 13 ammo points for the MG42 and 25 ammo units for the SMGs might be kind of hard to code esp. since CM doesn't model individual soldiers. Maybe CMIII/IV when individual soldiers, amount of ammo carried, quantity and type of food, amount of water in canteens, number of condoms et al. are modelled then we'll see ammo for individual weapons smile.gif) Hanns

The one thing I'm curious about is why can't 6 guys carrying the HMG which is just 39 more pounds heavier then the LMG and only having a crew of 2 not able to move as fast? The extra 39 pounds it seems is solely due to the tripod which weights 39 pounds more then if using the bipod. I would think that the ammo being carried would be the same amound of rounds since they are the same MG and fire and behave the same. Any body know?

I'd like to support the idea of an MG unit/heavy weapon crew having self-defense weaponry.

I recently played a TCP game where my sole MG42 HMG had two (!!) jams. I add the exclamation because I rarely have jams, let alone more than one per game. During this time, my opponent rushed my MG team (a squad ran 100m in the open, and as the rest of my company was in the process of rolling up my opponent's flank, they were unable to support by fire except at long range). The MG team, 6 people, were quickly wiped out.

I spent two years in the Army as a machinegunner. All the assistant gunners and ammo bearers I ever had were all armed with M-16s. I can't imagine that in WWII things were all that different - a six man team with only one weapon?

Come on.. nobody in their right mind would go onto a battlefield without a personal weapon, no matter how much crap they had in their rucksack or ammo they carried. I think at least 5 pistols should be allowed for weapon crews, but I think M1 Garands/K98s would be more appropriate. After all, even with a jam, only the gunner himself and MAYBE the assistant gunner would work on fixing the jam. The ammo bearers just carry ammo around - the AG actually does the loading/supporting.

I don't know if this has been addressed, and I've been on this board for quite some time (under various screen names) and can't specifically recall this topic having been or having not been brought up, and I can't seem to find the fellow with the CMBB FAQ link in his sig anywhere to look it up.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Moyle:

Now I wasn't in WWII either, but I'm almost positive that zook teams were considered soldiers first and bazookas next. So they would have rifles...I've also read plenty of novels and source books to support it. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Correct. In reality bazooka teams were simply guys in the squad who carried the zook and ammo. In CM they are seperated out as a seperate unit for game engine purposes.

Looks like there will be changes in CM2...