When a tank runs into something, that something should die.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

I think infantry should suffer some form of shock penalty for infantry from an overrun by armour (weighted to take timeframe, national characteristics, training etc. into account), but I suspect causing casualties by putting men under the tracks was fairly rare and uncommon,

.....Overrunning infantry would be nice to see at some future point in time.

Michael Nice name by the way. It has serve me well biggrin.gif

I don't believe this was rare or uncommon but actually a tactic used by tanks when they knew the infantry had little or no anti armor weapons with them.

Here are three excerpts from a book I am ready called "Seven roads to hell: A screaming eagle at Bastogne"

" ,more than thirty German tanks slammed into the 502d PIR's lines. Some of the paratroopers were gassed in their holes by the exhaust from German tanks sqatting over their holes and gunning their engines. Others were crushed and ground into the frozen dirt under the tanks' tracks."

and

"The fog, haze and smoke that shielded the enemy from us also hid us from them. Had it been clear, the enemy tanks would have seen our dark-suited bodies against the lighter snow and the tanks could have run their tracks over us, crushing out our lives. I have seen this done."

also

"One of them, a Panther, headed straight for our foxhole. It's left track crunched over our hole. ... The tank's engine revved slightly and then it began to move slowly toward town. Our hole was open again... If its crew had sususpected we were in the hole the driver would have locked the track over us and churned around and around, grinding our foxhole and us into a mixture of dirt and human flesh.The day before a German tank had ground a paratrooper into the dirt, and there wasn't enough left of the poor man to leave for graves registration."

There is also an instance when a Tiger backing up around a corner ran into a disabled 1/2 track and got hung up and abandoned it.

I have stated in another thread that i think breakdowns of this kind, going through shell holes and other clutter should be modeled in CM. Maybe more abstractly like a small % when going through different terrain types.

-------

"who put orange juice in my orange juice" W.C. Feilds