New Hi Res Canadian Sherman III and Sherman V mods

hilo.jpg

Available at:

http://canucksherman.freehosting.net/sherman3.htm

Plain green paint job; I am pleased with the 3-D effect on the barrel lock on the front and the headlight guards. Needs work on the bow MG. Complete markings for all squadrons and regiments of the 2nd, 4th and 5th Canadian Armoured Brigades are also included on the page.

Will try and do some variant markings (white stars, etc.), camouflaged tanks, tanks with extra armour and track, etc.

Constructive feedback welcome. Hopefully all the links work.

Oh, these are not true hi-res; some parts have been blown up 200 percent, others I was able to get the level of detail I wanted without expanding them.

------------------

http://wargames.freehosting.net/cmbits.htm

Aw crud. The same thing happened to your jeep mod.

uhoh.jpg

------------------

If the words "f**k" and "frontal" were removed from the vocabulary, the Canadian Army would be left both speechless, and unable to attack...

-Michael Dorosh

shadow@jagdtiger.de

Canada For CM

[This message has been edited by Shadow 1st Hussars (edited 02-24-2001).]

Guest Germanboy

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

Constructive feedback welcome. Hopefully all the links work.

Michael, they look good. Minor niggle - the tac markings look very oversized. At least on UK tanks they were a lot smaller - have not seen a picture of a Canadian tank, so I would not know whether they were larger on them.

Keep up the good work.

------------------

Andreas

Der Kessel

Home of „Die Sturmgruppe“; Scenario Design Group for Combat Mission.

Originally posted by Germanboy:

Michael, they look good. Minor niggle - the tac markings look very oversized. At least on UK tanks they were a lot smaller - have not seen a picture of a Canadian tank, so I would not know whether they were larger on them.

Keep up the good work.

Thanks, man. You know, the absolute only single one niggling thing I've ever found the slightest bit hinkey about Marco's Shermans was the tac signs - they always looked undersized to me! LOLOL!

I think you may be right, but I've allowed a bit of artistic license (and only a slight bit) in order to get some detail on the maple leaf.

Turret markings I've seen a wide variety of; I do think you have a point about Brit markings being slightly different.

Shadow, how come they don't work for you? Ya got a Mac or sumtin?

Shadow, how come they don't work for you? Ya got a Mac or sumtin?

Yeah, but the bmp's with markings work, the others don't. Do you use different programs or something?

------------------

If the words "f**k" and "frontal" were removed from the vocabulary, the Canadian Army would be left both speechless, and unable to attack...

-Michael Dorosh

shadow@jagdtiger.de

Canada For CM

Uh, guys, I hate to burst your bubble, but Marco Berman has the Hi-Res UK, CA, and PO versions coming again for all of the Commonwealth Shermans.

My suggestion is to just wait and use his, clone out Marco's nationality markings and draw in your own. At least you'll have a better base model to work with.

What I'm saying is that you're wasting your time. Berman's models have a lot more hi-res detail, most notiably in the suspension and hull tops.

Guest Germanboy

Originally posted by Maximus:

Uh, guys, I hate to burst your bubble, but Marco Berman has the Hi-Res UK, CA, and PO versions coming again for all of the Commonwealth Shermans.

My suggestion is to just wait and use his, clone out Marco's nationality markings and draw in your own. At least you'll have a better base model to work with.

What I'm saying is that you're wasting your time. Berman's models have a lot more hi-res detail, most notiably in the suspension and hull tops.

You really know how to encourage people to work on mods Maximus. Well done. Great example of politeness and appreciation of other people's work. Continue like this, and your popularity will increase even more.

------------------

Andreas

Der Kessel

Home of „Die Sturmgruppe“; Scenario Design Group for Combat Mission.

Originally posted by Germanboy:

You really know how to encourage people to work on mods Maximus. Well done. Great example of politeness and appreciation of other people's work. Continue like this, and your popularity will increase even more.

Whoops, that didn't quite come out right, did it?

I didn't mean for it to sound like that. What I meant to say was that as a suggestion that they should wait and use better base models and do their mods rather than using the the original BTS textures.

Anyway, here's a screenshot of all of the Bergman Canadian mods.

View?u=1304730&a=9683026&p=41860230&Sequence=0&res=high

DISCLAIMER: The Ram Kangaroo was actually done by DesertFox, but he had "help" from Marco, if you know what I mean. wink.gif BTW, DesertFox, I'm really impressed with the Ram Roo. Love the baggage and stuff.

------------------

"Upon my signal, unleash Hell."--General Maximus, Gladiator

"Aim small, miss small."--Mel Gibson, The Patriot

[This message has been edited by Maximus (edited 02-24-2001).]

Hi Maximus;

I did a search last night, and the only mods I found of Cdn Shermans were the ones at CMHQ with the camo scheme by Gordon, et al. While they were very well done, I wanted a plain green one as this is the more commonly used one (that I have noticed) among Canadian units.

I saw the release of the US Shermans last night, and being impatient and not knowing if there would be UK ones, and when, I went ahead and did my own, and surprised myself with the result.

I considered simply adding my own markings to whatever hi-res version comes out, but I wanted to see what I could come up with myself, and it also seems a little more fair adding my markings to my own work rather than co-opting someone else's, even if it turned out that that is what they design them for.

I'll look forward to Marco's work, though, it is always good to have a bit of friendly competition; I certainly learned from studying the work of others - perhaps Marco will like the way I did my headlight guards? Perhaps there will be one or two small details of mine that will help him, or other designers - which is surely to the benefit of us all!

Thanks for the responses, guys.

Originally posted by Shadow 1st Hussars:

-Michael Dorosh

Interesting...that you have insulted the entire Canadian Armed Forces and the country of Canada:

You forgot the words:

Eh, Beer, and Hockey

So F**k you too A$$hole !

Regards,

GB

Ex-Canadian military !

Originally posted by Gunny Bunny:

Interesting...that you have insulted the entire Canadian Armed Forces and the country of Canada:

You forgot the words:

Eh, Beer, and Hockey

Regards,

GB

Ex-Canadian military !

Gunny, I'm entering my 15th year in the Canadian military; I quoted that in a post and Shadow has decided to use it for a signature, so it is a bit out of context, but I don't think it's entirely disrespectful. I am pretty sure you heard the "F" word a lot when you were in the service, yes?

Canadian WW II history is replete with frontal assaults. Go to my site and download the operation I designed called THE CAUSEWAY. This is based on the historical battle at Walcheren Causeway - 40 metres wide, 1600 metres long, and three battalions were sent over it in succession in the face of MG, 20mm and high velocity cannon fire.

Frontal assaults at places like Carpiquet, Verrieres Ridge, the Lamone, and many other places were de rigeur for the Canadian Army. Often, there was simply no choice.

The words are not mine, they come from respected Canadian historian Jack Granatstein, who labels it "an old Army saw." He reports in his book The Generals that the saying was inspired by Chris Vokes - tough, bluff old Patricia who rose to high command in WW II, and was heavily criticized for his handling of 1 Cdn Div in the Moro River campaign.

The quote is thus half funny (we used to count the number of times our RSM used the "F" word in a ten minute period when talking to troops but always lost count) and half tragic - the casualty lists are proof that there was not always time for a "maneuver" as that famous other thread was discussing.

I don't see anything disrespectful, though.

Hi Michael,

I'm glad to see you have the courage to do your own versions.They don't look too bad. Your headlight style is interesting, but I went to the more splayed look because it gave a wider viewing angle before losing credibility.

The stripe on the cast nose by the maple sign is caused by the texture not being mapped exactly aligned, but offset to one side.(the game does this quite frequently). If you copy that area and move it out 10 or so pixels that will solve that effect.

Please don't mind Maximess. Someone forgot to put on his muzzle. By the way, Max, There's a "G" in my name. It's "Bergman".

I note that you have a site with just Canadian mods. I will be redoing the Commonwealth Shermans in a couple of weeks, and would be quite happy to compile a batch-free Canadian set if you would like one. Or if you want to use my textures I'll happily send them without unit markings. Up to you.

Either way, I'll be needing to confer with you at some stage to try to ensure that I have got the Canadian markings correct.

Keep up the good work, and if there is anything I can do to help please feel free to ask.

Originally posted by Marco Bergman:

Hi Michael,

I'm glad to see you have the courage to do your own versions.They don't look too bad. Your headlight style is interesting, but I went to the more splayed look because it gave a wider viewing angle before losing credibility.

The stripe on the cast nose by the maple sign is caused by the texture not being mapped exactly aligned, but offset to one side.(the game does this quite frequently). If you copy that area and move it out 10 or so pixels that will solve that effect.

Please don't mind Maximess. Someone forgot to put on his muzzle. By the way, Max, There's a "G" in my name. It's "Bergman".

I note that you have a site with just Canadian mods. I will be redoing the Commonwealth Shermans in a couple of weeks, and would be quite happy to compile a batch-free Canadian set if you would like one. Or if you want to use my textures I'll happily send them without unit markings. Up to you.

Either way, I'll be needing to confer with you at some stage to try to ensure that I have got the Canadian markings correct.

Keep up the good work, and if there is anything I can do to help please feel free to ask.

I hadn't even noticed the stripe! It's good to get nice comments from those with the more practiced eye! I'll look forward to seeing your Commonwealth stuff; I am by no means an "expert" on Canadian markings, but what little I do know I'll be glad to share. You are probably familiar with the Maple Leaf Up site; there are also some other good ones that I link to from my Canadian Army site - check out Hanno Spoelstra's Sherman Register and Chris Johnson's Steel Chariots - you can find the links link at the bottom of the left frame -

http://members.home.net/canuckmain/

Originally posted by Gunny Bunny:

You forgot the words:

Eh, Beer, and Hockey

Regards,

GB

Ex-Canadian military !

ROFLMAO... what's wrong GB, no playmates in your newsgroup? I work with three ex Armed Forces, they all thought the sig was a laugh.

Originally posted by tailz:

ROFLMAO... what's wrong GB, no playmates in your newsgroup? I work with three ex Armed Forces, they all thought the sig was a laugh.

He just found out that Fionn wasn't a newbie, so now GB doesn't have anyone who knows less than him to talk to.

That is definitely one of the funniest sigs I've seen. Shouldn't "obsolete" be one of the words too? Don't you guys still use the M1917 HMG?

------------------

Well my skiff's a twenty dollar boat, And I hope to God she stays afloat.

But if somehow my skiff goes down, I'll freeze to death before I drown.

And pray my body will be found, Alaska salmon fishing, boys, Alaska salmon fishing.

The Last Defense- Mods, Scenarios, and more!

Originally posted by 109 Gustav:

Shouldn't "obsolete" be one of the words too? Don't you guys still use the M1917 HMG?

Canadian IMP's beat the US's MRE's anyday. wink.gif As for the other stuff well, it's not obsolete, it's just broken in and well used.

------------------

-Michael Dorosh

shadow@jagdtiger.de

Canada For CM

We do still use .50 calibre machine gun. Up until the 80s we used the M1919 air cooled Browning .30 cal, only ours were rechambered for NATO ammo.

Hey, if it works, why change it? We still use Vietnam era M35 trucks and M113s, but our truck fleet was recently grounded for corroded rims. frown.gif

The Coyote is cutting edge though, and the LAV III is also being adopted by the US forces. Our recent frigate class was judged to be one of the best designs in the world.

It's kind of feast or famine up here. We are finally getting camouflage uniforms (for all the difference they make) and I think I am scheduled to get mine in 2002. We recently got new winter kit and it is the best stuff I've ever seen. Unfortuntately we have other priorities up here, like universal health care wink.gif

We do still use .50 calibre machine gun. Up until the 80s we used the M1919 air cooled Browning .30 cal, only ours were rechambered for NATO ammo.

Hey, if it works, why change it? We still use Vietnam era M35 trucks and M113s, but our truck fleet was recently grounded for corroded rims. frown.gif

The Coyote is cutting edge though, and the LAV III is also being adopted by the US forces. Our recent frigate class was judged to be one of the best designs in the world.

It's kind of feast or famine up here. We are finally getting camouflage uniforms (for all the difference they make) and I think I am scheduled to get mine in 2002. We recently got new winter kit and it is the best stuff I've ever seen. Unfortuntately we have other priorities up here, like universal health care wink.gif

Hi,

You forgot to mention they are cutting the Air Force in half, with mothballing and lower flying hours.

I was on the Frigate HMCS Ottawa. Allot of features in such a small ship. I would hate to be on one for a long time. It is just to small for me !

I like Aircraft Carrier battle groups myself cool.gif

Regards,

GB

Iggi:

Thanks for the photos of the new Canadian Armed Services portable hair dryer and it's self-contained combat powerpack module.

We down South in that wasteland North of Mexico can appreciate an army that knows how to travel in style and remain...stylish. Our Army of One (we could only recruit one guy - or gal, we can't ask and they won't say - last year) would do well to learn from such trendsetting bravado.