CD refueling

Currently, we have to place the CM CD diskette in the player each time we load and play a turn.

Other programs use to do this as well until they gave in to complaints by customers.

Many of these games began using techniques such as refueling every thirty ( 30 ) days. In other words, you would only have to put your CD in the player every thirty days and hit the refuel button.

I think BTS should consider this option.

Regards,

GB

Gunny, BTS is a small company and must take measures to avoid piracy. Microsoft can handle it, but not BTS. They've got better things to spend their time programming than a complex CD "refuelling" system.

Since you have so much money to buy top of the range graphics hardware, why don't you invest in a cheap CD drive, so the CM CD doesn't have to occupy your main drive all the time?

David

GB,

Care to list any such games? I have none myself and would be interested in knowing which games are accomodated by such a function.

GI Tom

------------------

Think before you POST, TEST before you cry BUG and take a "Time-Out" break before you counter-flame the guy that just called you a Plutonian ButtMonkey---Madmatt

Unreal Tournament (with a recent official patch) doesn't require you to have your CD in the drive, and there are of course "unofficial" patches and hacks for many games to get around having to put your (legitimate) CD in the drive.

------------------

New to Combat Mission?

Visit CM Boot Camp at Combat Missions for tips.

[This message has been edited by Gremlin (edited 02-04-2001).]

Just image your CD to your hard drive. That way you can keep the CD in a safe place. It does take up 500 megs or so of disk space, though.

------------------

Well my skiff's a twenty dollar boat, And I hope to God she stays afloat.

But if somehow my skiff goes down, I'll freeze to death before I drown.

And pray my body will be found, Alaska salmon fishing, boys, Alaska salmon fishing.

-Commercial fishing in Kodiak, Alaska

Originally posted by 109 Gustav:

Just image your CD to your hard drive. That way you can keep the CD in a safe place. It does take up 500 megs or so of disk space, though.

Can this be done with CD writing software?

[This message has been edited by Phoenix (edited 02-04-2001).]

On a Mac, there's an app called Disk Copy in the utilities folder. Open Disk Copy and drag the CD icon onto the window. It'll create a 310 meg (for CM) file named Combat Mission.img. Eject the CD and open that file. A disk icon will appear on your desktop. Now you can open CM without the actaul CD.

------------------

And pray my body will be found, Alaska salmon fishing, boys, Alaska salmon fishing.

[This message has been edited by 109 Gustav (edited 02-04-2001).]

Oh my God! Putting a CD into a drive. That is like sooo hard. BTS do somefink!

smile.gif

WWB

------------------

Before battle, my digital soldiers turn to me and say,

Ave, Caesar! Morituri te salutamus.

I wonder if Gunny is lurking around, reading this thread, wondering why we aren't sending flames to BTS about refueling.

Hey Gunny, if you're out there-thanks for giving me a chance to explain disk imaging. I'll be sure to write a few nasty emails to BTS about this, just as soon as I get some real food for dinner. (ETA June)

------------------

Ok, then it should be in the Utilities folder on your system installer CD. If not, download it here http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/288

Imaging a CD takes quite a while, especially if you compress it. Plan to have dinner or something while it's copying.

------------------

Guest Michael emrys

Thanks, Gusty. smile.gif

My hard drive came with the OS already installed, so I don't have a CD, but I'll give the URL a shot.

Michael

Originally posted by WendellM:

FWIW, I've only seen one game that does "refueling": Chessmaster 7000.

I am glad to see the Party Soldiers play chess.

In addition, the best chess software in the world "Fritz 6" using refueling.

This was due to the many complaints, both to the makers of Fritz and Chessmaster.

Regards,

GB

LOL! rolleyes.gif

Just like Gunny Bunny to show back up without acknowledging the other posts against what he suggests. What a lame-ass!

------------------

"Upon my signal, unleash Hell."--General Maximus, Gladiator

"Aim small, miss small."--Mel Gibson, The Patriot

Hey, be nice, at least he showed up this time. wink.gif

So Gunny, other than two chess games, do you have any other examples of games that use your gas refueling? And can you give us any reason why BTS should delay CM2 by as much as a day to implement this useless idea?

------------------