Gamers who give up

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Vanir Ausf B:

There seems to be some confusion here. I think it is clear that they are only talking about people who simply disappear without a trace, with no explanation or surrender. Such ilk are well deserving of blacklisting.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And if that person suddenly had a death in the family, perhaps someone close like a spouse or child. Or how about being involved in a major car accident, or suffered a heartattack? How can you tell the difference between someone who just got bored with the game and someone who is going thru a real life tragedy? Think about it.

Guys, its just a game.

Broadly speaking, there are 2 types of players : those who see CM as a competitive game first and as a means of reliving the WW2 battlefield second, and those who see it the other way around.

In the first group you will find people who employ "gamey tactics", pull out of battles as soon as their chances of winning are gone and would welcome the inclusion of monkeys trained to plant miniature nuclear devices in the game.

In the second group you will find people who invite their opponent to writing joint 100 page AAR's, spend 5 hours on completing 1 turn and find themselves simulating tank movements with pieces of toilet paper on the bathroom floor.

These are all good people, but they should not mix. When you start a PBEM, make sure you're dealing with a like mind.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kingfish:

And if that person suddenly had a death in the family, perhaps someone close like a spouse or child. Or how about being involved in a major car accident, or suffered a heartattack? How can you tell the difference between someone who just got bored with the game and someone who is going thru a real life tragedy? Think about it.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If it's a ladder game, I always give them some time before I report it as a win. A month usually. That should be long enough to at least get off an email unless they're dead or in a coma, in which case I doubt they care.

The last guy who dropped on me I only gave 2 weeks after I saw him posting on the Steel Beasts forum.

I don't actively try to blacklist anyone, but if someone asks me about someone who has disappeared on me I don't lie about what happened.

[ 06-18-2001: Message edited by: Vanir Ausf B ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Slapdragon:

I know I messed up some games since I broke my spine twice and was hospitalized, and could not sit up to game while I was in rehab. Both times most players understoond when either my wife e-mailed them, or I was finally released to use a computer again.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You broke your spine twice! :eek:

That secret government job of yours must be hella dangerous. I've changed my mind about working there; I'm withdrawing my job application.

[ 06-18-2001: Message edited by: Vanir Ausf B ]

I agree with Kingfish, heartattacks, hurricanes, earthquakes, volcanos and an onset of glaucoma, all tend to put a damper on game play. There is also the unfortunate but possible chance an opponent could die without advising you first. But, those who tend to play on the organized ladders can always report the incident to the administrator, who will then act as an arbitor and after due time and attempts to contact the missing opponent, will rule the game in your favor and generally speaking take a dim view of the dissappearance. Usually with an issuance of a warning or something. Which, presumably if the culprit continues the dissappearing act or it is Dick Cheney with a never ending series of heart attacks, then eventually the ladder would give em the boot.

Such processes reduce the need for vigilante actions. Something to consider with regard to organized gameplay versus the more rouge approach.

[ 06-18-2001: Message edited by: Bruno Weiss ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Vanir Ausf B:

You broke your spine twice! :eek:

That secret government job of yours must be hella dangerous. I've changed my mind about working there; I'm withdrawing my job application.

[ 06-18-2001: Message edited by: Vanir Ausf B ]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually Vanir, we are looking for cannon fodder, and from reports of your play style, I have been advised you may be the perfect candidate.

:rolleyes:

Someday I will tell you about my new secret government job. Of course then I would need to kill you, but as I respect you a great deal I would have it done quickly.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dr. Brian:

Sheesh … what the problem if he stop's playing? If you're pummeling the guy and he is losing, why should he keep playing? So you can humiliate him more, and where he doesn't enjoy playing?

I've stopped many times in the middle of a game, because it was pointless to continue. It wasn't fun as I had zero chance to win. However, I notified my opponent the match is his, and I would quickly start (or offer to) another game.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You miss the point Dr. Brian. We're not mad if they surrender when they know that they're beat, we're mad because the just break off all communication without resolving the battle.

If you want to quit, fine, just send your oppenent that last email with your surrender. We all like to see the final stats in a game and look at the final map. So the least the losers can do is send that last file.