How many CM addicts

Considering that there are almost 8000 registered players on this board it might be safe to say 1.5 x's more CD's as a callculated guess. So if they sold 12,000 copies that's pretty good but not a hell of a lot compared to other game genre's. So far I think they've gone through 3 press runs so that's at least 15,000 copies so far made.

Living in Asia I can also say I've not seen any pirated copies of CMBO for sale in my neck of the woods although I've heard there were some in the early days after it was originally released.

Another positive thing is that I've not heard of CM:BO being available at warez sites (though I am sure that at some point it has been available, like everything else), nor have I seen any cracks. Not that I'm in that crowd, but everyone I've heard about just bought it. Respect to BTS.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by lucero1148:

Considering that there are almost 8000 registered players on this board it might be safe to say 1.5 x's more CD's as a callculated guess..<hr></blockquote>

BTS had estimated only one in ten fans are registered on the board, so that may be as many as 80,000 copies sold. Still a small # compared to the big hits, but not bad considering the marketing strategy, and well beyond what BTS dared to dream. Anyone know how CM is doing in Germany where it's being marketed on the shelf?

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Diceman:

BTS had estimated only one in ten fans are registered on the board, so that may be as many as 80,000 copies sold. Still a small # compared to the big hits, but not bad considering the marketing strategy, and well beyond what BTS dared to dream. Anyone know how CM is doing in Germany where it's being marketed on the shelf?<hr></blockquote>

80,000 is a bit much me thinks. If they really sold 80,000 copies, they would have recieved a profit of $3,600,000. Debts and other expenses aside, that would have been enough to hire some big time proffesional help and make CM:BB with the new engine in place. The original guess of 12,000 copies, ammounting to a bit over half a million dollars profit, seems more realistic to me.

Of course, all any of us can do is guess.

@ Diceman:

I don't know how CM is doing in Germany, but since it is in the stores there suddenly it has become a topic in some German discussion forums I read for a long time (and where CM was never mentioned before). Seems it is doing OK.

@ lucero1148:

Guess you are the only CM copy owner in the Philippines...

Even I Bangkok (where they seem to copy about everything) I never have seen any pirated copies of CM so far, BTW.

[ 11-24-2001: Message edited by: tools4fools ]</p>

BTS has said already dozens of times this is a secret information.

Matt, on the other hand, prefers to say that he could tell, but then he would have to kill you :D

Anyway, you can't forget that there's no middle man here, and all money goes from consumers to the creators of the game. BTS stated in a interview at Gamespot they are gaining 10 times more than in a standard publisher deal. That means 50.000 copies are worth 500.000 for them.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by pt:

Here in Germany I have seen CMBO in Mediamarkt and Karlstadt, i.e. the major computer store outlets and department store chains. Yet to read anything about in the gaming press though.<hr></blockquote>

Well, there was an article in some rag ;) - marched straight into the Top20 in it (all the rest real-time or FPS), and the only drawback was the graphics. Not bad for an 18 month old game.

CDV (the German distributor) say that it is their No.1 seller at the moment. Also not bad for an 18 month old game.

From both of these I would expect to be doing just fine. Don't know the story in France and Japan though, where there are also boxed localised versions on sale, AFAIK.

TOOLS4FOOLS

Far as I know I'm the sole CM player in Manila.

If it wasn't for the PBEM/TCP feature this game wouldn't have gained such long lasting popularity. Most of the guys I've shown the game too are quite impressed but most seem intimidated by the learning curve. Well its not a point and shoot game is it!

How's Bangkok? Girls treating you nicely there for a drink or 2 I'll bet.

Cheers!

PS. Everybody on this board is addicted,

@lucero1148

indeed most people on this board are CM addicts.

The PBEM/TCP feature plus random or custom made maps give CM sheer endless possibilites for replaying the game without getting into a boring routine. No battle will be the same, especially playing human opponents.

Agree that the learning curve is rather steep compared to other games. One has to make some efforts to learn about all those little but important details.

Bangkok is great as usual, had a few good nights out since being back from Laos.

Don't worry, the number of CM players in Manila will double somewhen after X-mas and New Years when I come over ;)

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Germanboy:

Well, there was an article in some rag ;) - marched straight into the Top20 in it (all the rest real-time or FPS), and the only drawback was the graphics. Not bad for an 18 month old game.

<hr></blockquote>

Germanboy,

saying in the article the graphics being a drawback, did they mention that there are loads of mods out there which considerably improve the looks of the game?

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by tools4fools:

Germanboy,

saying in the article the graphics being a drawback, did they mention that there are loads of mods out there which considerably improve the looks of the game?<hr></blockquote>

Don't think the guy does, and in fairness, that should not enter judgement, as mods are fairly inaccessible to those not speaking English - except for those published on Tom's site. Since the game is sold boxed, not via the internet, in Germany, you can not assume that everyone who gets it has a decent connection, too.

@Germanboy

I agree that mods should not enter judgement, but it just could be mentioned that there are plenty of graphic mods out there.

As mods being fairly inaccessible for non-English speaking people, I doubt that a bit. All you need is the link to one of the major web sites and browse there a little. Even without understanding English sooner or later one will stumble over some mod previews and all you need to do is to find the download button ( I think even non English speaking people do know what "download" means).

An other approach would be to post on this forum in your own langauge and ask for help. I'm sure someone who speaks the same language (if around; asking in Burmese wouldn't get much responses I guess ;) ) would help out and e-mail mods, provide links or maybe even send a CD.

As for the connection there is not much you can do about, maybe just get a few low res mods - or hop down to an internet place with cable modem and dl it there and get it burned on a CD.

If one really wants mods, he will find a way how to get them. What kind of people is that, they expect everything falling into their lap?

I recommend a trip to a remote province to China, alone of course ;)

Regards

Marcus