"Remember, remember, the Fifth of November..."

"Gunpowder, Treason and Plot."

So, why is November 5th commemorated in the UK? The first non-UK citizen who can tell me the right reason, and provide an informative hyperlink to educate the unwashed masses, will win the coveted and roundly worshipped Soddball Smug Bugger of the Week award.

(Yes, I know it should have gone in the general forum, but I wanted to educate the unwashed masses. Hi, mum)

You're faster than a whippet with a bum full of dynamite - and if you can find a website which tells the history behind it, the award's yours :D

I should have guessed a man who lists 'fire' and 'fireworks' as his interests would have been on the ball for this one. ;)

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Soddball:

"Gunpowder, Treason and Plot."

So, why is November 5th commemorated in the UK? The first non-UK citizen who can tell me the right reason, and provide an informative hyperlink to educate the unwashed masses, will win the coveted and roundly worshipped Soddball Smug Bugger of the Week award.<hr></blockquote>

No offense, but what makes you think we care? tongue.gif

Cubbies Phan sez:

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr> No offense, but what makes you think we care? <hr></blockquote>

It wasn't a matter of caring, I just thought it might be interesting. Since we in the UK have to suffer the plaintive bleating of "Happy Thanksgiving" (which has no relevance to us) amongst the other myriad aspects of American culture, perhaps it might be interesting for you to learn something outside the Gude Ahld Ewe Ess of Aye. I apologise for attempting to broaden your horizons.

Simply saying 'no offence' doesn't mean you aren't giving offence - it just attempts to excuse it.

Originally posted by Soddball:

Cubbies Phan sez:

It wasn't a matter of caring, I just thought it might be interesting. Since we in the UK have to suffer the plaintive bleating of "Happy Thanksgiving" (which has no relevance to us) amongst the other myriad aspects of American culture, perhaps it might be interesting for you to learn something outside the Gude Ahld Ewe Ess of Aye. I apologise for attempting to broaden your horizons.

Simply saying 'no offence' doesn't mean you aren't giving offence - it just attempts to excuse it.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Soddball:

Simply saying 'no offence' doesn't mean you aren't giving offence - it just attempts to excuse it.<hr></blockquote>

Soddball, just have a look in the general forum, and you'll realise that Cubbies Phan is probably just after a flame war, and that comment was not probably seriously meant (I hope...).

Anyway, today is 6th of November and we in Sweden have a flagday today, can any Non-Swedish tell why?

What the Feck!!! I post a nasty little response to Soddball's whining and it's nowhere to be seen. BTS is censoring my words! ACLU fix or do somefink! For those that are wanting to bask in the glow of my magnificent words take heed!

Soddball, it's not that us Americuns don't care about your little holiday, well, it's that we've beaten you in two wars and saved your @ss in two others. Please don't mistake out apathy for a lack of interest. For the rest of you, happy belated St. Vitus' day. Enjoy a nice loaf of ergot infected bread and watch the pretty colours. Have you hugged a Swiss chemist today? Prösit!

Hanns

Soddball,

!1A-b14: I'm giving ya $hit! Do I need to incude smilies?

6.9 (what's that you ask? It's a period in the middle of a good thing smile.gif ) Do you know what St. Vitus' day is. Ergot? Back at ya mate! Done the research? I'm dropping the "ball" in your court smile.gif

Hanns

I don't consider myself clever. The only stomping I do is on other people's heads while at work at the bar smile.gif Or are you referring to my physical umm... stature as horselike? Wait, you're not an Ozzie, you can't have seen that video from Spring Break '93. You still didn't answer my question about the relation of St. Vitus' dance and ergot. Google not working tonight? Besides I saw the history of the "Gunpowder Treason" in an episode of "Highlander: The Series". I think Duncan Mcleod should have blown up those nasty Brits smile.gif

Oh, that was a question? Right. I understand now. Sorry, us old-worlders like our english clear rather than mangled, you'll have to bear with me. Will let you know - and where's the link to Clever Hans for the uneducated masses? Really, Mr CessPoo, you're not playing the game.

Highlander - LOL. The greatest work of fiction since vows of fidelity were included in the French marriage service.

Ergot and St. Vitus' Dance

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr> Many symptoms of ergot poisoning and the plague are similar. They probably coexisted. The worst plague damage occurred where ergot suppressed the human immune system and made people vulnerable. Records of plague deaths show huge regional variations. The plague probably followed pockets of rye ergot.

And what about witch hunts? The symptoms of bewitchment are consistent, but the way those symptoms were received was not. Crazy behavior was commonplace in the medieval plague years. The mad "Dance of Death" is a theme shot through medieval iconography. The spasms suffered by ergot victims were called St. Vitus Dance.

<hr></blockquote>

Feck! You want me to post links for other pods edification? Well, 'spose I can do that then.

Hans der über Pferd

Now pray tell me the connection between St. Vitus's dance, ergot, the wonderful compound known as Lyserg-Saeure-Diaethylamid and falling off a bicycle. Let the threads join into a wonderful multi-coloured tapestry of knowledge. Bonus fun: name the four most entertaining chemicals invented by Teutonic chemists during the XIX century. Cheers!

Hanns