Sort of Poll : Where's the "magic" in CM ?

This game is so full of details, you can find new things every time you play.

Allowing the players to develop the mods was a great idea, so that the graphics can be kept fresh, too.

They seem to have got the facts straight. There are no glaring inaccuracies which "break" the realism of the game.

Damn near perfect.

This forum also creates a common community to which we all now belong; surely that is part of the success as well. Without a forum for cheap plugs for my website, or to see cheap plugs for other people's sites (with scenarios and mods), to meet good opponents, brag or complain about a recent victory or defeat....

You get the point.

And of course, with it the knowledge that we are not the only insane individuals in the world, and that there are one or two people still interested in WW II and gaming both.

[This message has been edited by Michael Dorosh (edited 03-09-2001).]

What's with all the talk of Civ2. Civilization is an okay game. Diplomacy is useless but overall it's not bad. I think most people think it's the greatest of all time is because it's the most well known. If I had to pick the greatest game of all time I would have to say Railroad Tycoon. Of course my dad says Master of Orion but I'm not sure it could be a tie.

Yes, it's all of the above. I feel another area that has greatly improved the game are all the great looking mods that those great individuals have put out to improve an already good ( didn't want to use great again) game. I actually find myself picking different tanks or trucks or troops, whatever and just looking at them from all angles. They look so real! Needless to say war has an appeal to it and the tools used to make war are part of that. But yes the game itself is different everytime and that to me is what puts the magic into the game. The people that designed this game are, in my book, - Great!

Well, to me, when I boot up a game of CM, the wife dissappears!

How wonderfully magical. Technology has arrived! biggrin.gif

------------------

"Gentlemen, you may be sure that of the three courses

open to the enemy, he will always choose the fourth."

-Field Marshal Count Helmuth von Moltke, (1848-1916)

The answer is "D" : All of the Above.

CM appeals to:

Those who appreciate detail

Those who like the big picture

The maneuverist

The attritionist

The story teller

The writer

The film maker

The planner

The observer

The grognard

The newbie

The mapmaker

The mod maker

The realist

The impressionist

Feel free to add more.

We all share these attributes to some degree.

CM has "touched them all" .

------------------

"Too much of a good thing...

is wonderful." -- Mae West

The bringing in of new blood is also an important thing, especially for wargames where it's typically very hard to bring new blood. I used to go to a few Close Combat series forums back when CC was on top of its game (CC2 was the best of the series) and seeing anyone new was quite rare. Same can be said of the more serious simulation side. The fact that I see new usernames here in this forum almost every few days is good news for CM. New blood and interest adds longevity.

------------------

"Uncommon valor was a common virtue"-Adm.Chester Nimitz of the Marines on Iwo Jima

Guest Space Thing

The magic exists within every bit and byte of CM.

In the beginning there was the void. Then BTS looked around and said, "Let there be light!"...

And it will only get better. smile.gif Man! Are we lucky or what?

I confess that a big part of the magic for me satisfies the little kid still in me- the one that built all those Monogram model tank kits a long time ago and repainted them all about 5 times each- The Mods. I am almost embarrassed at the extent of my Mod collection. So a big Thanks to all of you Mod builders out there.

------------------

"Well, I will show you that before I was a marshal I was a grenadier, and I am still one." Marshal Jean Lannes, Ratisbon, 1809.

I've had CM in one of my drives since it came out because of a number of reasons:

1. When I was a little kid (over 30 years ago) I use to play with those little plastic soldiers and have make-believe battles that would last for hours (just like CM). Of couse my arty attacks would only consist of big rocks flying through the air with no cool explosions.

2. I love the explosions in CM when ANYTHING blows up.

3. It's nail biting when all you see is sound contacts and really don't know where the main attack is comming from.

4. I LOVE the mods that are generated for this game.

5. The anticipation of CM2.

MadDog0606 wrote:

1. When I was a little kid (over 30 years ago) I use to play with those little plastic soldiers and have make-believe battles that would last for hours (just like CM). Of my arty attacks would only consist of big rocks flying through the air with no cool explosions.

Man, you too! So did I. But once in a while, with older stuff, when a rock hit a bunker or tank, we'd set it on fire. The rules were pretty tight. No throwing directly at the target though (that was gamey biggrin.gif ). It had to be a mortar style shot of up and over. And any plastic guys not fully knocked over were allowed to be reset between turns. I must have had a couple hundred soldiers, a dozen tanks and vehicles; we'd spend hours just setting up our lines.

Thanks for reminding me of all that. smile.gif

------------------

"Gentlemen, you may be sure that of the three courses

open to the enemy, he will always choose the fourth."

-Field Marshal Count Helmuth von Moltke, (1848-1916)

Originally posted by Bruno Weiss:

MadDog0606 wrote:

Man, you too! So did I. But once in a while, with older stuff, when a rock hit a bunker or tank, we'd set it on fire. The rules were pretty tight. No throwing directly at the target though (that was gamey biggrin.gif ). It had to be a mortar style shot of up and over. And any plastic guys not fully knocked over were allowed to be reset between turns. I must have had a couple hundred soldiers, a dozen tanks and vehicles; we'd spend hours just setting up our lines.

Thanks for reminding me of all that. smile.gif

WOW!! A buddy of mine and I used to play a game on the beach where we had driftwood sticks to represent men (25 each), which we could maneuver each turn the distance of a long stick (about a yard). We built sand castles, ,and the goal was to take over the other guy's castle. For each "man" (stick), you could stand about where that stick was and lob a rock underhand at the enemy. The exception was, from the castle (about 30 yds from the "enemy" castle) you could whip a nice heavy rock overhand. Any sticks ("guys") the ended up leaning past a 45 degree angle were "casualties". and removed from play. Boy was that fun!!

(sorry for being OT, but the memories came flooding back!)

Originally posted by Louie the Toad:

The answer is "D" : All of the Above.

CM appeals to:

Feel free to add more.

We all share these attributes to some degree.

CM has "touched them all" .

Oh I like this !!

smile.gif

Lets not forget the dark side..

The Gamey Bastard

The Rules Lawyer

The Cynic

The Clown

The Video Gamer

The Min/Max Board Game convert!

AND MAc and PC users without too much Tension smile.gif as the game is identical for both users who can TCP/IP and PBEM!

What a GREAT game!

Party On Wayne!

Party On Garth!

biggrin.gif

-tom w

Guest Mirage2k

It's sort of like those "special" brownies.

-Andrew

------------------

"No, it's not that kind of relationship. We're just friends. We are together all the time, but I never touch her porcelain skin, her soft, red lips, like rose petals from the emperor's bathwater! Bathwater, I tell you, bathwateeeeeeer!"

David Aitken said:

Alpha Centauri is complex as hell, but all that information is just boring. You could get immersed in it, but what for? It's just fictional nonsense. When you're wracking your brains over CM, you're thinking about real-world equipment and tactics.

I can't beleive that PC Gamer gave this game their highest rating ever. Although there is a huge technology tree, it's just like you said...it's nonsense. What really turned me off of that game was the graphics. I know that Sid Meyer isn't famous for eye candy but the graphics in that game were pretty bad. Something you would've seen 10 years ago. In addition to this, it had the most dreadful colors I've ever seen in a game. Just turned me off from what's probably a pretty good game but in no way one of the all time classics which PC Gamer thought it was. I wonder if anyone other than the reviewer liked it nearly as much...

------------------

Youth is wasted on the young.

[This message has been edited by Colonel_Deadmarsh (edited 03-12-2001).]