M4's, rectal probes and me

...the following account was, in no way, influenced by drugs/alcohol...

my own scenario:

a pair of M4's are attempting to quickly ("fast move") make their way across the reverse slope of a lightly wooded hill. without a cause for concern, i check the progress of two infantry platoons finding their own paths on different portions of the map. when i returned to view the progress of the tank duo, one of them had vanished! gone, without a trace...

puzzled as to where my support had wandered off to, i turned the unit bases "on" and elevated the perspective so as to look at a wide section of the map. absolutely nothing.

...so, is this a known glitch/fault within the game (if so, how often does it occur?) or evidence of a sinister alien plot?

r leet

...perhaps you have a point, although i did give the area of the map what i believed to be a relatively good going over... (...i haven't played the game enough to know this for certain, but i thought troops and vehicles were not "permitted" to occupy the same space...)

at any rate, i have already deleted the offending game and am looking forward to going at it once more.

i reckon the sheer oddity of the situation made me curious as to whether or not anybody else had experienced any bizarre goings on...

Technically, they can't be in the same space, but you probably have unit size set at default (+2), which shows them larger than they actually are. If you set it to realistic size (shift-c), then units that looked to be right on top of each other are shown to be side by side. But set at realistic scale makes units hard to find, especially with the bases turned off.

And despite your disclaimer, I suspect alcohol did have some effect of your spotting of the units. That and lack of sleep are my 2 main excuses for losing!

:D

[ 06-16-2001: Message edited by: R_Leet ]

andrew:

...you may have solved the mystery - yes, the tanks were moving out from their staging areas on the extreme edge of the map...quite possible.

r leet:

good information, however the scale setting was on "realistic." alright, maybe there was just a wee bit o' bourbon flowing ;)

thanks for the input fellas...

[ 06-16-2001: Message edited by: Peter Panzer ]

If there was only a "wee bit of bourbon flowing" you're being a dirty, gamey bastich. There has to be copious amounts of alcohol to get it right. Type and brand are unimportant, it's the volume that counts!

One thing that could have happened might have been that the movement path you drew may have intersected an impassible tile (marsh, woods, rough, pines...). The AI then takes it upon itself to redraw the route to get to the same final point. The AI may have plotted one of the points off the map - foolishly thinking that the M4 would come back...