Same side battles/ QBs in CM2

In the past it was mentioned that the US Army and Marines (and members here) showed a strong interest in battles/ QBs were the same side (German vs. German, US vs. US, etc...) could fight it out. Steve, IIRC, has said that BTS was strongly considering it.

Sgt. Eagle's recent thread shows how historical this can be when considering the results of a successful assassination of Hitler. 'What if' scenarios are very important to wargaming, IMO.

Does anyone know what status of this is? I'm really hoping that we can have same side battles/ QBs in CM2. Thanks. smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Scooter:

Steve, IIRC, has said that BTS was strongly considering it. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Really? I thought they had said no way.

[ 05-31-2001: Message edited by: Vanir Ausf B ]

From the psots I have read on the forum I would guess that it is unlikely that there will be the option to fight your own side.

My question is, what harm would this do?

Surely it would not be that hard to allow both sides to have the same weapons, and if people don't want to play German verses German they don't have too.

I understood that the point of view of the US Army and Marines was that you can learn a lot about battlefield tactics when both sides are identical. Actually, I believe that is the only way to have a battle be 100% fair -excepting the terrain, of course.

I think that it is a great idea for the same reasons that the US Army and Marines want it AND for the historical 'what if' scenarios that Sgt. Eagle so nicely proposes in his thread.

I saw Steve's posting about this some time ago and never saw anything since. Maybe I missed it. That is why I'm asking now. The search utility is real slow and then it just dies when I search for 'same side QBs' or 'same side battles'.

I wonder if anyone 'official' can say. Thanks! smile.gif

From what I can discern of CM2 (CMB2B) captured weapons will be hardcoded to each side. In other words you will not have the entire Soviet OOB available for use as captured weapons by the Germans (and vice-versa), but select, common AFVs/weapons that were used in quantity.

As for 'Same Side' confrontations - it has been requested before in the past. I can't remember Steve's exact comments about it, but they weren't interested in committing the effort to do this (historicity being just one of the reasons). Whether that remains the company policy regarding CM2 I wouldn't know, but I'd guess that this feature most likely will not be included. It is a bit harder to add this feature than it would logically appear.

As for using the CMBO units in CM2, that has yet to be determined. There are a number of issues that can make this an effort that may not be worth BTS's time (in terms of trying to get CM2 out the door in a timely fashion). Some of these details that will affect the use of CMBO units in CM2 will not be known until much further down the development path since certain code changes in CM2 can cause A LOT of work in allowing for backwards compatibility. While BTS has stated a desire to make CM2 backward compatible with CMBO's units, it is not a guarantee.