OSX Compatibility Date for CMBO and beyond

So, OSX is now out. 9.1 as classic and OSX will soon be the only choice on new Macs.

Could we get a date for when CMBO will run under the new OS? In a similar direction, will CM Barbarrosa to Berlin (CM2) run under OSX or Classic?

I know that this software was developed on a Mac ( smile.gif ) and presume that development is continuing for Macs even though MSWin is likely the primary sales platform. I will soon be transitioning to OSX at work and will likely change over my machine at home so I can continue to work at home on my machine. So, it would be nice to have CMBO and the next highly anticipated installment available.

BTS, the company line is what I am looking for, and I know it will be straight. I respect your candor and your position, and I don't expect a reply today but soon would be good.

Repectfully;

Karl Mead

karlmead@hotmail.com

Would it be possible to have only BTS respond to this please? Do not post here until after BTS has responded. I will TTT this to the top until it has been answered. Many thanks to all posters and of course to our fine hosts.

Karl Mead

FYI

from this web page:

http://www.macgamersledge.com/news/item.php?id=2120

Westlake Interactive on OS X (posted @ 4:04 pm EST):

We got a press release from Westlake

Interactive today on the subject of Apple's

latest and most powerful operating system,

OS X. As Westlake is responsible for many

(or most) of the current and popular

Macintosh game ports, the compatability of

their titles with OS X is an issue for die-hard

Mac gamers. Here's the press release, for

your consideration:

Westlake Interactive has been receiving many queries from gamers and the

press over the past few months about our OS X plans, and we're pleased to

announce that we are now officially supporting OS X in our development

work.

We have spent several weeks working with the final OS X seeds and release

version, testing game and OS technologies to get a better picture of the

transition from 8/9 to X, and believe OS X has a strong foundation to build

games on. While there are a few rough edges in the game related OS

functions in OS X 1.0, we are working closely with Apple to make sure they

are smoothed out. Even though some game API's need to be fleshed out in

OS X, Westlake is pleased to be able to start developing OS X native versions

of current projects, and is fully committed to native support OS X in future

games.

Games that have just shipped or are close to shipping (Escape from Monkey

Island and Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2), will be carbonized to run natively under

OS X over the next month or so and free updates will be released via the

web. Other projects that are in final beta test (Tomb Raider Chronicles and

Centipede), may have time to get OS X native applications on the shipping

CD's, or if scheduling is too tight will have free web updates.

Projects that have been signed but that aren't shipping for more than a

month (Alice, unannounced projects) will support OS X natively right out of

the box when the ship.

Carbonizing games Westlake has shipped over the past four years, including

The Sims, Unreal Tournament, Scrabble, Deus Ex, etc, will be handled on a

case by case basis. We are working with our publishers to pick those titles

that can be reasonably ported to OS X, and hope to be able to announce

some of that work in the near future. Obviously it will not be possible for us

to port our entire library of games (31 games shipped as of March 7,2001),

but we realize many of the popular games like Unreal Tournament are still

selling and have many fans. We are looking forward to working with our

publishers to help us Carbonize some of the most popular games, and have

already been testing our older products for Classic compatibility in case they

can't be made native.

While the transition to OS X will be a bumpy ride for both gamers and

developers, we at Westlake are very excited about the future of Mac games

and OS X as a gaming platform, and are looking forward to bringing the best

games to the Mac for many years to come.

Many thanks to Westlake Interactive for clarifying their position on OS X, their high-quality

work, and the future of Macintosh gaming.

--C. Tamas

Related Links:

- Westlake Interactive

- OS X

- Speak up in our forums

aka_tom_w

Thank you for posting the info from Westlake Interactive. The info was encouraging coming from that group given the job they have chosen.

I know that our hosts at BTS are very busy working on the next iteration, but generally they have been around so the silence on this subject is surprising. I intend to continue the ttt activity in hopes of eventually getting a rise. I don't think it would be productive (and not very appropriate) to be strongly reactionary and clamor for an answer, though it is tempting. Again, thanks. Karl Mead

From Go2 Mac.com- OGrady's Powerpage perceptions and sum up of where things lie relative to OSX application development. Some of whats stated is not really applicable to CM as the input sprockets and so on are relatively irrelevant:

Gaming: Another work in progress. Without DrawSprocket and InputSprocket, even much-hyped Carbonization in Oni is fairly useless. (You get to watch Konoko on a tiny 640x480 screen that drops frames and lacks input support to make her turn 360 degrees.) We’ll have to wait for Apple to get this finished. Current oulook: Bleak. Short term: Unsure. Long term: Environment friendly to gaming developers.

I believe it's really too early to say anything definitive.

With luck OS X will be finished by summer (everything in place),

that'd be the time when future can be seen clearly.

The big question is whether Quickdraw3D will ever run in OSX,

either by Apple or third party hack.

Right now it'd probably be possible to carbonize CM enough

to make it run in software mode, but that'd hardly be the best

solution.

The other option would be to transfer everything to OpenGL,

not an easy fix. No doubt BTS will rather wait a while to see if

that's really necessary. I'd assume this will be left for CMII.

Well, that's my bump anyway... wink.gif

[This message has been edited by Jarmo (edited 04-04-2001).]

Originally posted by kmead:

aka_tom_w

Thank you for posting the info from Westlake Interactive. The info was encouraging coming from that group given the job they have chosen.

I know that our hosts at BTS are very busy working on the next iteration, but generally they have been around so the silence on this subject is surprising. I intend to continue the ttt activity in hopes of eventually getting a rise. I don't think it would be productive (and not very appropriate) to be strongly reactionary and clamor for an answer, though it is tempting. Again, thanks. Karl Mead

Mead, just email BTS if you are so concerned. At the moment bumping an ignored topic (by BTS at least) is just slightly embarrassing. smile.gif

M.Bates

Actually no it is not embarrassing, at least not for me. I waited a long time for this game to come out and ship so I can be patient. I do have Steves email address and could email him if I wanted, though I'd rather save it for something really important like congrats for another great job well done.

This thread is for all of the people in the Mac community and not just for me. An email from Steve to me would be my business with him and would not necessarily be something that I could share with the community.

The statement in the thread says "I don't expect a reply today but soon would be good." Ultimately I don't 'expect' a reply, I would like one, but they are not obligated to answer. This is not a terribly big thing, I have wood to cut in the back yard, an old car to get rid of, my kids to play with, a job where many other people depend on me to do a great job so we (at Steelcase) all can have jobs in the future and things like that. Yeah, I am concerned about this, and yes I believe that it is important that CM be compatible as I truly want this software to be available to what I hope will become a widening MacOS audience.

Anyway, this bumps it for another day. Thanks for your interest and have a nice evening. I think I will play my first TCPIP game tonight if Steel1994 is available.

smile.gif

Apple's Mac OS X not only on time, but

it's a true gem

April 3, 2001

BY ANDY IHNATKO

The world's coming to an end. Apple actually shipped a next-generation operating system,

Mac OS X.

Put big money on the Cubs to take the World Series, and pray that you collect before God

turns off the lights.

Apple began with a center of Mach, found at the core of almost all Unixes, including

Linux. It's sort of like designing an airplane around a set of Rolls-Royce engines instead of

trying to build your own from scratch: sophistication and reliability are built-in.

Much of the underlying OS is also open-source, and people who like and understand the

power of Unix can easily access Mac OS X's gears and grease.

For all of X's (it's pronounced Ten) open-source heritage, though, most users will see its

Unix underpinnings only when they notice that their Mac is now nearly crash-proof, and is

much more efficient and agile in allocating memory and processor time to its apps. The

Mac OS X still has, hands-down, the most sophisticated and elegant user-interface I've seen

in an OS.

Besides an overhaul of the finder, the most visible symbol of X's elegance and cleanliness is

its new dock. In Windows and

MacOS 9.1, docks are just places to park apps. This one is a mighty lightsaber.

It rolls several different functions together, and they're all accessible through just clicking,

clicking-and-holding, dragging something into or just simply looking at the thing.

Operations that used to require a messy tangle of Windows and inscrutable little icons are

now handled by an animated bar that, like a good butler, only appears when needed.

Like everything else in X, it looks like a million bucks. The Aqua user-interface made a

skeptical demo in January 2000, but after using Mac OS X intensively for a while, I can

appreciate that these transparent and drop-shadowed and pulsating doo-dads are

well-reasoned and not simple window-dressing.

Enough breathless raving.

Mac OS X is clearly a Version 1.0. It could still stand a lot of tweaking, and many new

bugs are being discovered. Still, where the public beta (released last year) raised as much

doubt as excitement, users are almost universally reacting to 1.0 as something we can all

use and support, hoping for nothing more than a little fine-tuning.

My only frustrations with X happened when I tried to make it do everything Mac OS 9.1

can. You have to remember that X was built brand-new from the ground up, and that for

the most part, anything that wasn't written specifically for X just plain won't work. It's not

so much of a problem where old apps are concerned (X bamboozles them into thinking it's

9.1, with great, if less-than-100-percent, success), but if you're relying on something that

needs a device driver, you might be out of luck until the manufacturer produces an

X-compatible version. Which will almost certainly happen. Some manufacturers never

really supported the Mac in the first place and will use X as an excuse to cease further

development. But they're the distinct minority. :(

There's real excitement about Mac OS X, and every software and hardware manufacturer

of any note has pledged its support. We should see the fruits of those promises by the end

of the year. :confused: In the meantime, users will surely take advantage of Mac OS X's ability to

optionally boot up as a straight version of 9.1.

X can't be thought of as anything less than a success for Apple, but until the rest of the

industry catches up with it, it's for early adopters only. I love it and use it regularly for real

work.

But I also love my USB printer and my Palm and watching movies on DVD, which is why

I still spend most of my time in 9.1.

Mac OS X isn't a home run, but it'll have the crowd on its feet.

Think of me as the third-base coach holding you at the bag when you're tempted to dive for home.

Andy Ihnatko writes about computer applications and issues, and can be contacted at andyi@world.std.com