Gun crew re-mans gun between ops battles?

Juju

I didn't even know this feature was in the game, but just now (in the first battle of an operation) I had an 88mm AT gun take two casualties from a sharpshooter. The crew broke (naturally, for they were on paved road) and ran, abandoning the gun.

To my complete surprise at the start of battle two the crew was back at its station! Not only that, but it listed having suffered only one casualty, not two.

Needless to say I'm quite happy about it. Of course it won't survive turn 1 of the upcoming battle, but still. :D

My question: A) was the re-manning of abandoned guns between battles always in, or B) am I experiencing some odd game behaviour here?

It is understandable that gun crews flee once there position comes under intense fire.

What I find irritating is they often run into a bit of cover near an officer (for combat bonus yum yum) and recover from their fright. Then the AFV or whatever beat up on them is destroyed, and the gun position is now clear of fire and the gun itself is not KO'd, yet the wimpy bastards wont go back and re-man it. Especially if they break with very light or no casusalties, it kinda erks me, even more so if the officer they flee towards and come under c+c of is say the company or battalion commander. In real life I bet he would be pissed.

Is this gun crew behavior realistic?

SUG

[ 11-18-2001: Message edited by: Sir Uber General ]</p>

Brings to my mind a true story about us gallant Überfinns from around 1944 (I don't have my source with me now but will try to check it).

A PaK40 position was under fire by Russkies, and so the crew decided to abandon the gun. They ran to the commander for bonuses, and he was mightily furious. But the crew wouldn't go. "Look guys, the gun didn't go broke, so you can go back!" "But herra upseeri, the big bad tank is still there saying pum-pum..."

The CO was so pissed off, that he decided to show some example. He went to the gun under fire and manned the gun. Moral of the story is, that he soon got killed by machine gun fire.

I just hope that BTS will remember to include this feature with Finns in CMBB!

That would indeed rule. Imagine losing an important PaK position to enemy fire, and having the crew run to your battallion commader who is lounging around a heavy building. And then having the Bn commander run to the gun by himself and getting killed during the next turn from 95mm HE rounds, before getting a chance to start the "withdraw" command you frantically gave! You'd lose your gun and your Bn HQ! Us Überfinns rule!

The realism would blow your mind!

I have been doing some reading about a Russian AT gun crew. They do indeed bail out on their guns pretty quick once they have been spotted by armour.

In set defensive situations however they only use 2 men to man the gun (loader, gunner) and the other 4 as close, covered, security, armed with submachine guns and rifles.

Would be a nice feature to have! It would a) cut down on injuries when under fire from armour as there are only 1 or 2 exposed crew members at any time and B) be useful for the crew to be able to defend themselves if they are flanked by infantry.

The story I was reading also mentioned grape shot for anti-infantry close defence. Nasty stuff. Any chance of that getting into CMBB? Awesome for infantry ambush smile.gif