Infantry against M8s

In a game agsinst the AI last night, (I won't say which one so as not to give spoilers), I ended up with 3 almost intact platoons of infantry against 3 M8 Greyhounds in a town.

I figured that my infantry would be at a serious disadvantage since I had no artillery or vehicles, and only 2 Panzerschrecks, but in a town, the M8s have a hard time getting the upper hand.

While 2 of the M8's stayed out of the town, I rushed the third in the town with all 3 platoons, but the M8 managed to back away to the edge of town away from the flag.I kept my men mostly in buildings and approached with the Panzerschrecks; one of them got close but couldn't nail the M8, who hid behind buildings. I didn't want to pursue in strenght because that would mean abandoning the flag to the two other M8's.

Finally the M8 decided to cross the town and passed right in front of one of the Panzerschrecks, who plugged him in the rear.

One of the other M8's had moved near the other flag which was across a wide field. I brought the 2 Pzschrecks behind a stone wall and fired all my rockets at the M8 from 90 m, but all missed. So I rushed the M8 with two platoons while the other M8 started to approach to support him.

Now only close assaults could kill the M8, so I assaulted; finally one squad managed to knock out the M8 with grenades.

At the same time, the third M8, who was coming to help, passed close to a house containing one of my squads, who knocked it out with a grenade.Two of the 3 Greyhounds had been killed by infantry using grenades.

Against a human player who could better coordinate the 3 M8's. this could be tough, but I think it the infantry is still favored in city fighting against M8's who don't seem too effective at this close range fighting, and whose 37 mm gun is not powerful enough to knock down buildings. However if the M8's had some infantry to help cover them, the opposing infantry would have a tough time.

Henri

Guest Michael emrys

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pvt.Tom:

Is it just me or do most people find the 37mm gun to be useless agains infantry?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't find it useless, but neither is it an instant anihilator. I use it to suppress and soften up entrenched troops while I am moving my own infantry in to close assault them. Sometimes the enemy infantry's morale gets undercut to such a degree that they will break and run away by the time you get close to them. I don't regard that as useless at all.

smile.gif

Michael

Most of the time, I find a .50cal HMG is far more effective in the role of supressing infantry. I think it is the RoF factor at work.

Flashing back my painful memory about the last TCP game, M8 and similar Dialmer are small and they are fast. If one keeps them moving it is very difficult for your opfor to kill it using PIAT/Zook/Schek/Fraust/etc. Also, I wonder the "global" moral for each side of your game.

Griffin.

------------------

"When you find your PBEM opportents too hard to beat, there is always the AI."

"Can't get enough Tank?"

Guest Mr. Johnson-<THC>-

I consider 37mm amd 20mm, even the 40mm as HMGs on PCP. Used with other heavy weapons properly you can win. Shove them into a village with no infantry, of course, towns are owned by infantry. Used together with MGs and mortars, you've got a dead opponent.

EricM,

Canister was used in the ETO. The standard drill for tankborne infantry on Stuarts breaching the hedgerow was for the infantry to fire one direction, the Stuart to fire canister the other, and the hull MG to fire directly ahead. I believe I read this on the CM Forum.It apparently really unhinged the German infantry attacked this way.

Regards,

John Kettler

Try this: Have an Infantry squad run perpendicular to a 20 / 37 / 40mm gun. Notice that the blasts are all behind the running squad? And with the low blast rating for these weapons, it's quite easy to out-run them while receiving no damage. I've even seen squads running away from these guns receive no damage. (Advancing, or stationary, is another situation). And against dug-in troops or buildings they're next to useless...

Perpindicular approaches against all direct cannon fire is very frustrating. Based on my observation (now just how good could that be smile.gif), the TacAI does not "lead" the target. When it elects to fire, it seems to consider ONLY the exact location of the target at the time. Any hits on the unit are backed up by luck.