Taking out AT guns?

I'm scared of AT guns tongue.gif

I make all-infantry advances and only expose panzers from keyhole positions. 6pdr AT guns are simply deadly against the StuG-IVs and IVHs I like to use to support my attacks.

Now I've been thinking maybe keeping the panzers in rear until infantry can take out some of the AT gun coverage or getting impatient and losing my panzer back-up is not the best possible way to use my assets.

81mm off-board mortars seem simply insufficient, I've made it rain shells on the little dears with little effect.. And while assault gun howizers would be ideal, they always lose on duel.

What kind of tools do you people to take out those annoying guns? 50mm mortars?

OTOH, I've noticed I win easily when my opponent invests too much in AT defenses and gets overrun by leg infantry..

Couple of 81mm (or 60mm, or 3inch) mortars in indirect fire mode does well. Usually 2-3 turns and the sucker is taken out (depends on mortar team experience level).

The problem i think is not taking them out, but LOCATING them.

[This message has been edited by ciks (edited 02-13-2001).]

AT guns are deadly but only when sighted in pairs (or even threes). Keys to taking them out is isolate and destroy or heavy arty.

Smoke em off and get a platoon (at least) within range and assault. May I also suggest a flank approach.

You can use armour but always ensure you have at least one more gun firing at them than they have at you. Two regular tanks can usually take out an AT gun if they can both see it. That is the trick. A good defender will place his ATs in positions where the only tank which is going to see him is a dead one.

A combination of on- or offboard mortars and direct fire works

real good. First start raining some arty at them, and then move in

the tank(s) for the kill when the gun is suppressed.

A couple of on-board mortars usually do the trick themselves

but it might take a while, especially with the smaller calibres.

Originally posted by Jarmo:

First start raining some arty at them, and then move in

the tank(s) for the kill when the gun is suppressed.

Ok, that sounds good!

A little late to save my armor in one of the PBEM games I'm involved in, but rinse and repeat.

You'd think 20mm AC would be especially good for disposing the guns once their heads are down?

I've found out locating the guns is pretty easy, just have a PSW do a peek-a-boo and someone's bound to take a shot at it. Unless we're dealing with someone extra sneaky with hiding guns.

Leg infantry will usually notice the guns at reasonable ranges, too.

Guest Michael emrys

Originally posted by Barleyman:

You'd think 20mm AC would be especially good for disposing the guns once their heads are down?

75mm is better.

Michael

I like using onboard smoke followed by offboard arty. Blind 'em and pound 'em.

WWB

------------------

Before battle, my digital soldiers turn to me and say,

Ave, Caesar! Morituri te salutamus.

I agree with Jarmo. You don't have to *kill* them with the 81mm off-map mortars. Just give 'em a stiff dose and *then* pop your tanks or StuGs into LOS, with the gun already entered as the "preferred target". It isn't that hard for direct fire HE from any tank or assault gun, to take out a gun. It just needs some help not getting killed itself, before it gets to fire. That is what the artillery half of the team does.

Off-board makes them duck, on-board takes 'em out while they are ducking.

Smoke and an infantry assault are my preferred ways to save my panzers from facing ATGs. Unless of course you have a heavy like a Tiger II or Jagdtiger with a good blast radius weapon. Face them and obliterate them. I prefer to save artillery rounds for softening up the objective areas, esp. while playing as Germany. Just always seems that the Allies have sooo much arty (I envy that).

------------------

"Uncommon valor was a common virtue"-Adm.Chester Nimitz of the Marines on Iwo Jima

[This message has been edited by Warmaker (edited 02-14-2001).]

Speaking of locating AT guns, I has some success sending a cheap, fast armored unit fast zigzagging across the hilltop on the back of the map, from flank to flank, with the path laid in such a way that it remains in enemy LOS for no more than 10% of the time. If his guns are not hiding, they are shooting. And missing. You should have an infantry unit overwatching the field to ensure identification of the firing position.

Guest Michael emrys

Originally posted by Pvt.Tom:

Skipper,

You better watch out, the gamey policy are going to get you for that. smile.gif

I don't think that's especially gamey. That's what all those jeeps were for in the real war. A quote from General Patton: "Lieutenant, I want you to jump in that jeep and drive down that road until you get blown up, then come back and report to me!"

Michael

I don't think it is gamey either but I guarantee that there is someone out there who would say it is, a lot of people don't like it when you use vehicles to draw fire for reconnaissance purposes. Personally you can rush me with your crews, I could care less.

AT guns are bastards, for sure.

I suggest smoking them with off-board or on-board mortars OR with a tank if you can get the angle.

THEN area fire HE shells at the AT gun. Should do the trick.

Spotting AT guns shouldn't be a problem with arty spotters, sharpshooters etc.