Capture the Flag!

I assume a commander generally does not know what the enemy's objectives are. Of course, these will usually become apparent at some point in the battle. However, I suspect there were times when two sides in a conflict had very different objectives for their current battle.

As an example, let's assume side A is tasked with holding a village. At the same time, side B is tasked with inflicting casualties on the enemy. For side B, capturing flags is irrelevant. Of course, if they destroy the enemy they will likely capture the flags as well.

What I am proposing is that each side has its own set of victory conditions, not just an arbitrary set of flags shared by both sides. I believe not knowing (initially) what the enemy's objectives are would lead to a new level of planning. A player would know what to take (or do), but not what to prevent the enemy from taking (or doing).

Anyway, this idea is not as fleshed-out as I would like it to be, but I just thought I would throw it out there to see what the response would be.

Thanks.

I agree completely, ST. I would think that victory conditions could also be dynamic - ie if you are the defender, you would have your own set of flags to defend - stuff that you think is important (high ground for an arty observer, a road for reinforcements, etc.) but the enemy is unaware of. Halfway through, let's say the defending force has been ordered to withdraw if it feels its position untenable. The player could then make the - irrevocable - decision to withdraw - in which case the flags disappear, and victory points are then awarded for exit.

The trick would be to harmonize the attacker's and defender's objectives. How many players would be satisfied with scenarios in which both sides win? (ie an attacker that takes the high ground he had outlined as his objective, but the defender managed to prevent the capture of a crossroads). This might happen if both players are unaware of the objectives of their enemy.

Hence my earlier topics on having an operational or strategic overlay. A game which would generate the reasons, the objectives, the terrain and the units for engaging in the CM tactical battles.

Can it be done vs the AI ? We know that multi player grand scale games exist but that is not what is needed here. I want to play a strategic game vs the AI or another player and fight out the clashes using CM.

Big Picture Toad

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Treeburst155:

Dynamic Victory flags are a partial answer to this. Does anybody know of even ONE scenarios that uses them?

Treeburst155 out.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Does anyone know HOW to use them? Give us a few tips, Treeburst? I have read bad things about them on the forum, but have never investigated for myself.