A disclaimer to the newly released CM Mods article

First of all, where to find it is the following link:

http://www.cdmag.com/articles/031/139/010131-01.html

As this article went through its final edit, there were some word & grammar changes, of course. This was mostly for the better, as my grammar can be a bit clumsy at times. But within the article is one quote:

"Though most of what we've seen so far refers to German vehicles, there is a host of good modifications for the good guys as well."

Those words "good guys" were NOT my words. I had originally used the term "Allies" as which is typically accepted in historical parlay.

I can understand the basis for the word change, and I hope that it is regarded in a minor way.

Regardless, it is personally important to state a personal view here. I have been a wargamer and student of military history for nearly 30 years, and take the study of military affairs quite seriously. As such, I try to avoid any generalized characterizations to paint the soldiers in a war as "good guys" or "bad guys."

I consider the Nazi government as one of the worst political/social abominations of world history. But that doesn't translate to labeling (or inferring) all German soldiers as "bad guys." They endured their share of hardships and should be accorded due respect as given to all veteran soldiers of WW2.

I'm likely making a mountain out of a molehill, but again, I had to clear the air from my viewpoint. So you can now tease me about this to no end. redface.gif

Having been edited heavily myself in various magazine and newspaper articles I've had published, all I can say is that editors sometimes suck. The article read extremely well, so no worries.

Note that your sentence now has the word "good" in it twice - pretty clumsy sounding and pretty inelegant compared to the way you wrote it originally. It's frustrating when editors do things like that, but one can only take it in stride and hope that others realize what its like to be at the mercy of someone else's judgement.

------------------

http://wargames.freehosting.net/cmbits.htm

Guest Big Time Software

Awwwww... why did you have to go and point that out! I thought the article was so damned good before you highlighted that horrific change. Now I think your article sucks and I am going to go read someone else's articles from now on. I'm outta here!

Hehe... sorry, couldn't resist drawing a parallel between your situation and game development in th eyes of some of the less well mannered "customers" smile.gif

Seriously, I thought that was a fantastic article. I didn't see who wrote it until the end, and all the way along I kept thinking "man, this guy knows his stuff!". Then I saw that you wrote it and it all made perfect sense wink.gif Three cheers for Spook AND the folks he wrote about!

Steve

Spook, we are enjoying the article so much we don't care.:)

In fact, the reference to the desert mod that Audace, Clubfoot, and I are working up has made my day.

I just wish you had mentioned ASL MAPS 4 CM website in the article.

MikeT

Oh, more friendly advice for the author - I have found that when people complain about something I've had published after the fact, the best response is "Where were you when I needed you?" biggrin.gif

Actually, Ron Volstad told that one to me. I've found it serves me as well as it has him when defending one's work or the choices one has made.

I hope you are prepared for the barrage of comments by people you were not able to include in your article.

I'll let Shadow be the one to ask why you didn't make specific mention of the Canadian bitmap-molestors....err....mod artists...

smile.gif

------------------

http://wargames.freehosting.net/cmbits.htm

Michael Dorosh said "I'll let Shadow be the one to ask why you didn't make specific mention of the Canadian

bitmap-molestors....err....mod artists..."

they did... im canadian......

------------------

MAKE IT SHORT AND SWEET THEN GET THE F#$K OUT

Originally posted by BIG DD:

Michael Dorosh said "I'll let Shadow be the one to ask why you didn't make specific mention of the Canadian

bitmap-molestors....err....mod artists..."

they did... im canadian......

The terrain mod guy? I have some of your stuff on my hard drive, nice work! Forgive me if I'm being unusually dense and unobservant, but have you done any unit mods? (And if yes, where can I download them from?) I was referring to uniform and vehicle mods for Canadian units in CM, not the nationality of the molestor. Sorry for the confusion.

Anyone who would complain too much about the "Good" guy thing has their head stuck too far up the overly-politically correct canal. (I actually liked it, for my own reasons...)

Great article!

Thing I liked best about it is that I learned something new. Didn't know the bit about Germans experimenting more with Camo.

Well done!

------------------

"Fear is for the enemy...

Fear and Bullets."

Originally posted by Big Time Software:

Awwwww... why did you have to go and point that out! I thought the article was so damned good before you highlighted that horrific change. Now I think your article sucks and I am going to go read someone else's articles from now on. I'm outta here!

Steve

Ya I'm sorry but I gotta go with Steve on this, it totaly ruined your article for me biggrin.gif.

Regards, John Waters

------------------

"We've got the finest tanks in the world. We just love to see the

German Royal Tiger come up on the field".

Lt.Gen. George S. Patton, Jr. February 1945.

Well, given all that has transpired here these last two weeks alone, BTS certainly deserves a chance to put the shoe on the other foot. wink.gif

Now Bob Mayer (CGO) is interested in a follow-up article covering CM scenarios, operations, and host sites for same. (An opportunity here, Manx, for your "Combatmissions" site.) Any takers? Or do we "volunteer" Wild Bill? biggrin.gif

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

The terrain mod guy? I have some of your stuff on my hard drive, nice work! Forgive me if I'm being unusually dense and unobservant, but have you done any unit mods? (And if yes, where can I download them from?) I was referring to uniform and vehicle mods for Canadian units in CM, not the nationality of the molestor. Sorry for the confusion.

Michael,

DD did some excellent US Inf uniform mods a short while back. Look for them at the CMHQ.

That's about it, though, AFAIK.

Cheers!

------------------

"...Every position, every meter of Soviet soil must be defended to the last drop of blood..."

- Segment from Order 227 "Not a step back"

Originally posted by The Commissar:

Michael,

DD did some excellent US Inf uniform mods a short while back. Look for them at the CMHQ.

That's about it, though, AFAIK.

Cheers!

American??? American??? Some Canadian he is - probably lives in Toronto, too. biggrin.gif

Thanks for the tip - I've no doubt seen them already - lots of good mods at CMHQ, just haven't gotten around to downloading them. I haven't played as Americans since I stopped playing the demo and moved on to the real thing. I still have my US Civil War uniforms filling up those bitmap files, actually, which was a bummer when I went to play the French in the Paris scenario.

Incidentally, the terrain in the Paris scenario was really beautiful - I'm surprised at how well CM gave the impression of being in a city.

Sure Spook, likely story. Blame it all on the poor blonde secretary. We know you had it in for us Uber Badguy players all along, probably been waiting for your chance for months, years even. smile.gif

Nice article, I've always held CDMAG in high esteem, this only reconfirms my convictions.

------------------

"Gentlemen, you may be sure that of the three courses

open to the enemy, he will always choose the fourth."

-Field Marshal Count Helmuth von Moltke, (1848-1916)

BIG DD:

Like your signoff below your signature. FYI, if you ever want to use a G-rated signoff, try "Be brief and be seated." Somebody famous said it, but right now that somebody escapes my feeble memory.

And as someone who writes for a living, and has about 20 years in the newspaper end of the business, good editors are great people. They make you look smarter than you are. But the bad ones ... well, you wind up taking the heat for their mistakes because it's your name at the top of the story. I don't know how many times I've told people "but I didn't write the headline!"

Guest Madmatt

I would have prefered to see my name just a few more times in that article or at least a brief mention to my divinity, but I guess I will give it my Madmatt Big-Ole'-Bald-Head-O-Approval!

Ah yes the coveted MM BOBHoA...A rare and cherished thing to be sure...

Madmatt

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

Combat Mission HQ

CMHQ-Annex, The Alternative side of Combat Mission and home of the CMMC

CMHQ-Annex

Host of the Combat Mission WebRing

[This message has been edited by Madmatt (edited 02-01-2001).]