Jeeps and their uses

Ok I KNOW this has probably been brought up dozens upon dozens of times but the search is painfully slow and in this day and age of instant everything it get annyoing. so on to my question-

What is the use of a regular jeep (no MG mounted) other than scouting the enemy? Now I have heard a lot of people say that using jeeps as recon vehicles is "gamey" and I know that scouting should/is modeled before the actual engagement in CMBO. So if not for recon...what are they for? If I recall right they cannot transport very many units. So once again I seek the help of the all knowledgeable gamers on this one.

Although i haven't found any major use for them. I do use them for carrying FO's on large maps.

Being the fastest/one of the fastest? units in the game they are great for that role. Although that is mainly only of any assistance in large games they are useful for that purpose.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stixx:

Although i haven't found any major use for them. I do use them for carrying FO's on large maps.

Being the fastest/one of the fastest? units in the game they are great for that role. Although that is mainly only of any assistance in large games they are useful for that purpose.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeah, what he said. Ditto for spare HQ units. And support weapons.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JonS:

No, sorry Kubels are completely different - they cannot carry PIAT teams or bazookas, nor tow a 6pdr. Sorry, but there it is. Something about Union Rules I think.

;)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

:mad: Union rules? :eek: I don't think that's in the manual.

Forgive me for being slightly historically illiterate, but why is it gamey to use jeeps as recon? For one, in one of the operations on the CD they give you 6 jeeps as recon...

Also, its not like they are invincible recon units or anything. If they go slow enough to see anything they seem easy to pop with just about anything (HMG, light gun, whatever), and if they are going fast enough to be a hard target, they cant reall see anything untill they are so close to it they die anyways.

Actually it is historical to use a unarmed jeep for scouting if it carries some troopers. It was common to use as a scout durning the Normandy breakout and at the very end of the war to send a couple of troops with a radio to scout out ahead of a Armor unit to look for ambushes. I don't know how well it translates into CMBO.

Eric

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by EricM:

Actually it is historical to use a unarmed jeep for scouting if it carries some troopers. It was common to use as a scout durning the Normandy breakout and at the very end of the war to send a couple of troops with a radio to scout out ahead of a Armor unit to look for ambushes. I don't know how well it translates into CMBO.

Eric<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Those Americans eh? What a bunch of Gamey Buggers!

Hey, Eric -agree wholly-: A radio is "the

most dangerous/lethal weapon ever devised".

Who wrote that, in an invasion "I" beginning

country context? (novel)

And BTW, is reflected in CMBO -give thanks to

"Absolute Spotting"- though not totally well

done, neh? ((Beg pardon, an experiment is

required)).

jeeps w/ out MG's were used for recon, they just had a recon team on board. not all front line jeeps had the luxury of having the mamoth M2HB behind the driver. i dont find it gamey to use jeeps for recon if they want to, because they die so easily and usually wont give away positions when they do die! but, i am also the person who buys guns without transports!

i use jeeps a lot for flamethrowers and heavy machineguns. ill keep them behind lines until i know where a hot spot is/is going to be and move them there quickly. a long ranges they are a pain to tag.

What's in a recon team? I know not all jeeps would have a .50, but it's the only armed option there is.

I wouldn't object to anyone using a rifle/SMG team (ie a half squad) in a jeep for recon, but if there is anything in such a vehicle it's often an AT team when you're using an infantry defence!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stalin's Organ:

What's in a recon team? I know not all jeeps would have a .50, but it's the only armed option there is.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

im not the grog i want to be, but i do know that the recon units relied heavily on the allied vehicles to scout out ahead; namely the jeeps/greyhounds/M20/M3A1 scoutcar, and M8 for fire support. that i know of the only weapons mounted on the jeep were the .50cals (they never did put the M1919 on them?,right?). in these scouting units were fighting infantry units, deployed into "teams". for a jeep, obviously you could only fit about 4 men, M20 could house about 5 men. i would assume that these "teams" were parts of a entire squad.

again stalin, im not the grog as some others, and im sure someone is going to come and shoot down my memory! hurah for medium grogs! smile.gif

A scout section had 2 jeeps and 1 M-8 armored car. One of the jeeps carried a 60mm mortar, the other carried an MG and scouted ahead. Three of those sections constitute a cavalry platoon.

Earlier, M3A1 scout cars were used instead of jeeps. The troops actually preferred the jeep, because it was more nimble and harder to spot, and bugged out of danger faster. Later, some units used M-20s (which are essentially M-8 ACs with the turret removed) instead.

The mortar let the section hit enemies at range without exposing their thin-skinned vehicles, and were popular with the men because of it. At one point there were only 2 per platoon, but that was upped to 3 after North Africa at the men's request.

The MGs on the jeeps were often 30 cals, M1919A4 air cooled. The same as the MMG in CM. But CM only show the 50-cal jeep so you are stuck with it. In real life, a few scouts could also dismount from the vehicles, including MMGs taken off the jeeps to use dismounted.

You can simulate that in CM by taking a few bazooka teams or sharpshooters, an "airborne" 3-man MMG team, or an FO. Ride them on the M-8s, or skip one of the mortars, swap a jeep MG for a regular jeep, or use M3A1 scout cars or M-20s and ride those. If you have enough vehicles, you might take one platoon of infantry instead, and ride them in the vehicles in half-squads.

The cavalry also had M8HMCs - 2 per company on map, or more typically use a 75mm FO to have them fire indirect. Plus support from stuart light tanks, one company for a battalion of the cavalry. Meaning you might see anywhere from 2-5 stuarts supporting cavalry scouts.

Cavalry platoon example, using M3A1 scout cars -

3 M-8 armored cars

6 M3A1 scout cars

3 60mm mortars

2-7 bazooka, sharpshooter, 3-man MMG -or- 1 rifle platoon (with Stuarts)

1 75mm FO

0-2 Stuart light tanks

Using jeeps (typical)

3 M-8s

3 Jeep MG

3 Jeep

3 60mm Mortar

1 75mm FO

0-4 zook, sharpshooter, or 3-man MMG

0-2 Stuart (optional)