Any Russians/Soviets know cryllic lettering?

Well, in English letters what you have put down is:

Timoshenko

Molotov

roainch!

Suvorov

STDPINETS

Not sure what the third and last words are, but am suspicious that third word is an attempt at 'rodinu!', which is better said as 'za rodinu!' In Cryllic, it would look like this (In IE, click View/Encoding/More/Cyrillic(Windows) to see text below in cyrillic)

çà ðîäèíó!

------------------

Best regards,

Greg Leon Guerrero

[This message has been edited by Grisha (edited 03-06-2001).]

Originally posted by Perchpole:

rodinu.jpg

The phonetic translation of this oft encountered inscription is rodinu!

This means, literally, for the fatherland!

vnimaniye tovarisch mudak!!!

Rodina znachet "MOTHERLAND."

yelki palki. Amerikantsi takie tupiye lyudi.

Originally posted by Terence:

vnimaniye tovarisch mudak!!!

Rodina znachet "MOTHERLAND."

yelki palki. Amerikantsi takie tupiye lyudi.

RODINU = (literal to English) repatriation which - in this context -effectively means; for the fatherland.

RODINA = (literal to English) motherland

Typically, such direct translations can leave you squabbling over the details whilst ignoring the bigger picture. What's important here is the inference and spirit of the inscription. Rodinu simply means; for the HOMELAND!

Incidentally [Terence], my grandmother was from Latvia, my father from Germany and I live in England. Though demographics were never my strong-point, I believe this to be conclusive proof that I am not an "American"! So takie huy to you too, buddy! wink.gif

------------------

Perch

Guest Rommel22

In my language, which is Czech, rodina means family. I wonder if the Russians use the word rodina (in battle) as a subtitute. I wonder if it means the same thing in Russian as it does in Czech.

Anyone know, Commisar?

------------------

Rommel22s Kampfgruppe site:

http://rommel22diarys.homestead.com/MyPage1.html

"I saw 5 Germans walking down the side of the road, so I followed them for a few yard to get closer. Then I shot them! Later that day I found out the war has been over for a few weeks." - someone

Originally posted by Rommel22:

In my language, which is Czech, rodina means family. I wonder if the Russians use the word rodina (in battle) as a subtitute. I wonder if it means the same thing in Russian as it does in Czech.

Anyone know, Commisar?

No, it very definitely means 'Homeland' or 'Motherland'. Literally, "Rodina" means 'Birthland', but since the word takes female gender in Russian, 'Motherland', imho is the best translation.

As for Terence: Àìåðèêàíñêèõ ìóäàêîâ îáèæàòü íå íàäî. Íå âñåì íàì äàíî áûòü Ëîìîíîñîâàìè.

Perchpole,

Big Boo Boo, dude. 'Rodina' is the nominative for 'Motherland'. 'Rodinu' is the accusative case for 'Rodina', and when used with the preposition 'za', or 'for', in this context, means 'For the Motherland'.

------------------

Best regards,

Greg Leon Guerrero

> Àìåðèêàíñêèõ ìóäàêîâ îáèæàòü íå íàäî. Íå

> âñåì íàì äàíî áûòü Ëîìîíîñîâàìè.

Äåéñòâèòåëüíî. Ïðèìåð ò-ùà Terence ýòî íåïëîõî èëëþñòðèðóåò. frown.gif